User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who has "Trained" the "other half" to Tow

It was just brought up in another thread about the other person in the couple/team learning to tow their rig. How many have a spouse, significant other, partner, whoever, who know how to tow and set up the rig? My wife has no interest in learning, even though when we go to places where we take our ATV's, she will tow that trailer with her car. She also used to be a School bus driver. I think the size of the rig intimidates her. (Not much else does). She can do everything else with the set up except leveling. She refuses to learn the controller. Let us know!
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My hubby is the expert at towing. But we both go thru hookup, leveling, setup, teardown, etc.

Right now, we're not traveling, although we're full time. We have a family member with serious health problems, so we're in one spot for a duration of some unknown time.

Once we do travel, there is the intention for me to learn how to tow. I can do small/light towing, but this thing is big. But more importantly, if anything should ever happen to him, god forbid, it's imperative that I know what, how, when, where, why, etc.

This is something we both wanted, and we've been partners in everything for 44 years. This is simply part of our enduring partnership.

Sent from LB's phone using Tapatalk
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    It was just brought up in another thread about the other person in the couple/team learning to tow their rig. How many have a spouse, significant other, partner, whoever, who know how to tow and set up the rig? My wife has no interest in learning, even though when we go to places where we take our ATV's, she will tow that trailer with her car. She also used to be a School bus driver. I think the size of the rig intimidates her. (Not much else does). She can do everything else with the set up except leveling. She refuses to learn the controller. Let us know!
    Both my husband and I took the RV driver's training course. I can tow. I help with hooking up. And I help direct back up for backing in sites.

I also follow behind my husband doing the pre-departure check (closed windows, locked doors, nothing loose, hitch is closed, etc)

When we get into our site, I do the levelers, carry everything from truck to rig, do "inside" setup. I don't know how to do the whole set up/tear down stuff - yet. But we're working on it.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 02-10-2020 at 02:54 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are a team. She helps hook up, get the WDH bars engaged. She'll drive, but will not pull into a gas station or backup into site. She knows how to setup/breakdown at the site. Will need to show her how the set up is for our new GD though.

All the best,
    Cheers
    2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z71 6.2l aka "Luci"
    2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE aka "Desi"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's invaluable and works well with the arrival/departure checklists. We both do the leveling and hitching. Once we're level, she takes over the stabilizers, steps, and slides while I do plumbing/electrical.

She understands that driver practice is essential, just in case, we will be working on that this spring/summer. She loves driving the truck, just not with 34' behind her.
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We both do the hook up as she backs up the truck and I raise or lower the king pin to lock up with the B&W hitch. When we arrive at the site and we have leveled and I have raised the 5th wheel she will drive the truck out from the king pin.

This fall we went on our first long trip from Austin Tx to Utah and she decided to drive from Muleshoe TX to Gallop NM. I think it surprised her on how easy it was to drive. She did really well and enjoyed it. When we left Tropic UT and traveled to Flagstaff she drove the entire way. If you have ever driven that route you know how twisty and hills those roads are, she did a fine job and informed me that she will drive more in the future.

On our Utah trip we hit some campgrounds that were gravel and not very level. Together we learned how to size up the site and which tires needed to have blocks for leveling and how to back up or move forward with the truck. Before we always camped on concrete pads and it was very easy to unhook. After the Utah trip I know that she could level the trailer and unhook.

But like Scott says, usually when we're level she takes care of the slides, steps and inside make ready while I hook up the fresh water, power and sewer. She will help me put out the sewer hose supports.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife helps with everything but towing. She focuses on the inside while I take care of the outside.

She has never driven any of our trucks and has no plans to do so with the new truck we're getting next month. It works well for both of us because I don't think I'd want anybody else driving while towing anyway. When we drive home from Palm Springs to Oregon each spring, I do the 17 hour drive myself - in one trip!
    Last edited by bertschb; 02-10-2020 at 02:59 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some really good responses on this. I am surprised - a little. Most do a lot of things to help each other. That is key to the whole thing working. My wife will do, and does, everything other than the leveling and the driving. I will not hook up, or finish either the set up or hooking up without her looking at everything first. I want to push the towing issue this season, as we will be going a lot more. She can handle the leveling part, I think... She is college educated after all.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been pulling boats and campers for over 30 years and I'm still paying for the time I had her pull our pop-up over the Thousand Island bridge 25 years ago while I pulled the boat.
    On our trip to Alaska last year she said she would try pulling the trailer to help me out with the driving. The first 3 days on the road she tried driving about 60 miles at a stretch on the highway and claimed it wasn't too bad and wasn't as difficult as she thought it would be. . . Our 12,000 mile trip worked out to me = 11,800 miles, Her = 200 miles.
    That said, I don't want anybody other than her guiding me when unhooking or hooking up and launching and/or loading the boat. After 30 years we've got that part almost figured out.
    Last edited by Nrbsrsr; 02-10-2020 at 05:08 PM.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife does the final walk through the inside while I do the outside. She does help with setting it up. I even let her hook up the truck once. She did rather well but there is no way she wants to drive. I offer but she always says no. She is a great camp buddy and very helpful. She know what I need and stays out of the way till I need her to help. She is my best friend as well as my wife. We do lots of traveling. She is now in charge of taking the pictures. I used to have to do that. LOL

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast