User Tag List

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever since we started taking two cars on vacation (one to pull the RV and one to pull our boat) in the early 80's, my wife, who had never pulled a trailer before, was pressed into service to pull our boat(s). She has been pulling 19-21 foot tandem axle boats/trailers for almost 40 years. When she backs the boat down the ramp into the water we can see guys that are watching elbowing their wives and asking why "they" can't do that! There is not a man alive (including me) who can back a boat up better than my wife.

For the winter 2016-2017 my boss let me/us relocate to Florida from Michigan. A month after we got there we found and purchased our "deal of the century" Solitude 379FL in nearby Lakeland, Florida. Our problem? Two RV's in Florida and only one truck. Since I was working far away and with a deadline to remove one of our two RV's from the park I was unable to take the old RV back to Michigan. Again pressed into service, My wife, by herself, packed up the dog, connected the 5th wheel to our truck, and pulled the old RV back home to Michigan!
    Of course I was worried about her being alone on the road, but her ability to pull a 9000# RV that far was never in question.

We have discussed her pulling our 14,000+ Solitude, but she let's me do it. However, if i became incapacitated I know she is more than able to do it.

Now for my speech to the women out there: Don't let anyone tell you that a woman shouldn't pull a large trailer, 5th wheel or otherwise. Women drive school busses and Greyhound busses. They pull boats and fly jumbo jets. They will only be limited by their own doubts and fears. Go for it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    Now for my speech to the women out there: Don't let anyone tell you that a woman shouldn't pull a large trailer, 5th wheel or otherwise. Women drive school busses and Greyhound busses. They pull boats and fly jumbo jets. They will only be limited by their own doubts and fears. Go for it.
    Well said!
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased our 5th wheel late last August and my husband has done all of the driving so far. I scheduled a RV driving course for April and am really excited to learn how to safely operate the rig for most of the same reasons already mentioned. I can’t imagine driving all over the country and never getting behind the wheel or backing into a camping space or getting through a gas station. I just need the knowledge and skills and reduce some of the driving burden from my husband. I decided on a driving course because, like golf, never learn from your husband. Patience is a virtue but not the best description of my hubby.
    Patty and Kevin Mead - Michigan
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
    2016 GMC Denali, 2500 Turbo Diesel

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssidiver View Post
    We purchased our 5th wheel late last August and my husband has done all of the driving so far. I scheduled a RV driving course for April and am really excited to learn how to safely operate the rig for most of the same reasons already mentioned. I can’t imagine driving all over the country and never getting behind the wheel or backing into a camping space or getting through a gas station. I just need the knowledge and skills and reduce some of the driving burden from my husband. I decided on a driving course because, like golf, never learn from your husband. Patience is a virtue but not the best description of my hubby.
    Both my husband and I took the RV driver class. Even though he had towed our camping (utility) trailer in the past, it just seemed like a good idea for both of us to take the class, so we'd both be on the same page of "how to......"

And, the second person was a lower cost.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife learned to tow our TT out of a need to be able to in an emergency. And on longer trips she'd take a turn behind the wheel. But she was never comfortable. Granted, because we had an Andersen WDH, she would also get us fully hooked up on her own (and did so for many trips). But the way the TT pushed us around always had her on edge. And because our rig was extra unstable until I changed to LT tires, the Ford anti-sway kicked in violently several times while she was driving. I don't blame her for not liking it.

Now that we have the Solitude, the fiver feels so much more solid and stable. She's insisting on driving during parts of most trips, and has handled more than 50% of some days. She still wants me behind the wheel for parking or anything like that, but that's only because we haven't created parking lot practice time for her.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband taught me how to drive/tow our 5th wheel (our 3rd one). We are a team in hook up and tear down. He does the hitch, leveling and dump. I set the blocks, water and power. I also secure everything inside before pulling out.
    After 40 years together, we have it down.
    Happy travels!
    John & Margo Cooper
    Retired & Loving Life
    2017 F250
    2014 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This summer I'm going to purchase a 2019 Grand Design Reflection 37' 5th wheel. I already have a Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 L Diesel Short Box Crew Cab. I plan to go to parking lots and back roads to learn the ropes and practice parking, backing up etc. A friend and I are hitting the road in October. She has no desire to even drive the truck let alone the 5th wheel also.
    So I'm going to get information on a driving outfit and give the info to my son. If we run into any problems we just call him and he will get everything back home. We both are going to learn all the setup and breakdown and she is an excellent navigator.
    So two women are hitting the road and we can hardly wait for our retirement.

Case24

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by case24 View Post
    This summer I'm going to purchase a 2019 Grand Design Reflection 37' 5th wheel. I already have a Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 L Diesel Short Box Crew Cab. I plan to go to parking lots and back roads to learn the ropes and practice parking, backing up etc. A friend and I are hitting the road in October. She has no desire to even drive the truck let alone the 5th wheel also.
    So I'm going to get information on a driving outfit and give the info to my son. If we run into any problems we just call him and he will get everything back home. We both are going to learn all the setup and breakdown and she is an excellent navigator.
    So two women are hitting the road and we can hardly wait for our retirement.

Case24
    I think that is going to be my back up plan also. I have twin sons who COULD tow the rig home, although neither is enthused about towing anything. If not them I have several brothers in law who all pull 5th wheels. I think my wife's oldest sister would give it a shot too. She drives their MH everywhere. Hope for Good times when you hit the road. I take it you'll be full timing?
    Last edited by SGT ROC; 02-19-2020 at 06:28 AM.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife loves to hook everything up. She double checks everything for me. However she won’t tow. Last year we stopped at a rest stop so she could use the restroom. I got in the passenger side of the truck and locked the passenger door. She came out and wanted in the passenger side however I would not unlock the passenger door. She was forced to get in the drivers side and drive. She drove from the rest stop to the next offramp, about 3 miles. That is as far as I have gotten her to drive with the trailer connected to the truck.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Glogowsky View Post
    My wife loves to hook everything up. She double checks everything for me. However she won’t tow. Last year we stopped at a rest stop so she could use the restroom. I got in the passenger side of the truck and locked the passenger door. She came out and wanted in the passenger side however I would not unlock the passenger door. She was forced to get in the drivers side and drive. She drove from the rest stop to the next offramp, about 3 miles. That is as far as I have gotten her to drive with the trailer connected to the truck.
    LOL - that would never work with my wife. She would walk before she would do something she has her mind set not to do. I've tried that before with other things. It resulted in much silence around the hose for a long time. I think I might be able to convince her to drive around a local empty parking lot though. We'll see.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast