Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    Hi Alfredo;

Short answer is no, set and forget. (I do check them by hand for tightness before each trip).

I set the capture bars (one on each side of the hitch) when I originally bought the trailer. Never touched them after that, until..... I finally got good enough at hitching that I wanted to take out some of the excess slack that I had originally. I had too much of a gap between the bars and the trailer plate.

I hope I can explain this well enough...
    The bars can be set to have a gap at the high end of the recommended amount. I did this (plus a bit) to help with my inexperience in hitching up a fifth wheel. However, you create a situation where the hitch can be tipped a few degrees off of your actual position. You will then need to re-hitch at an angle other than the one your truck is moving. Think of it as crabbing into your king pin to line up.

One day I got frustrated and reset the gap to be as specified and it works fine. A great example of me out thinking myself.
    As a side note: I did set the bars to have a slight taper front to back. Wider at the point the trailer plate enters, by about 1/8" to 3/16" overall.

It work and works well.
    Rob
    Hi Rob - Just a further update
    Just watched a youtube video on the Demco slider and they said the minimum width on the adjustable bars is 12 inches. My box is 9 to 10 inches and the adjustable bars will not collapse lower than 12 inches. I called Demco to ensure this was not true and they said that the Turning point Travelair pin box will not work with the capture bars. You need to use the wedge that comes with the trailer or one of their wedges. So I have the identical situation with Pullrite having to use the wedge and not being able to use my AMPlock. This is really a disappointment since the amplock is very expensive and a top rated king pin lock. I will have to sell it and see what they have at the RV dealerships that fits below the width of the wedge. So basically the Demco and Pullrite now are identical operational slider hitches both requiring the wedge to operate a Turning Point pin box

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alfredo;

Interesting. I am not familiar with the Turing Point Pin Box, or the wedge. So I have to claim ignorance there.
    12 inches sounds about right for the minimum. I can measure it to verify. Once I can get the truck inside to check I will look closer. Memory says the bars could be closer with longer bolts which might not be advisable. Snowstorm right now makes it difficult to open the bed cover.

Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    Alfredo;

Interesting. I am not familiar with the Turing Point Pin Box, or the wedge. So I have to claim ignorance there.
    12 inches sounds about right for the minimum. I can measure it to verify. Once I can get the truck inside to check I will look closer. Memory says the bars could be closer with longer bolts which might not be advisable. Snowstorm right now makes it difficult to open the bed cover.

Rob
    Thanks Rob but don`t worry about it. My son in law says he may be able to cut out a chunk of the lock to go around the wedge . I am going to have another look at that after it stops snowing up here and go an measure the wedge and lock base to see what damage I am going to do to it LOL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123