User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    I just got done repacking the bearings and adjusting the brakes on my 2020 2670MK. The brakes don't have any self adjusting mechanism. I did some research - lots of confusion on forums as I think that some of the fifth wheel units may come with brakes that are self adjusting but I don't think the Imagine series has ever (?) had them standard. Not sure about that but I know that the 10 inch brakes on my Dexter 4400 lbs axles do not have them. The brakes needed adjustment - first time they have been done and it has been driven 3,000 miles since new. Also, I was surprised that the adjustment holes in the backing plate (two per wheel) did not have any rubber plugs so I bought 8 of them at Napa and installed.

Link follows -

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/UBP8...ing+hole+cover
    I also have a 2020 MK2670 and called Grand design and they told me they come with self adjusting brakes?
    2020 Imagine Mk2670
    Tow vehicle - 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6L Gas

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisopy View Post
    I also have a 2020 MK2670 and called Grand design and they told me they come with self adjusting brakes?
    Well....I just got done working on them but they're all buttoned up. I think the the ones on my 2670mk look like this.....
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...62-463-00.html

Not like this....
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...3-478-479.html

You called GD customer service or the dealership? I am going to dig into this further.
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well....I just got done working on them but they're all buttoned up. I think the the ones on my 2670mk look like this.....
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...62-463-00.html

Not like this....
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...3-478-479.html

You called GD customer service or the dealership? I am going to dig into this further.
    I called GD customer service, but they could very well be wrong. It looks like in the second link there is a diagonal piece or link in the brakes. I haven't messed with mine yet because it's new, but will most likely check them if they don't end up being self adjusting. I will call Dexter this week to confirm. For the price and GD quality that they preach, they should come with self adjusting brakes.
    2020 Imagine Mk2670

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just got done repacking the bearings and adjusting the brakes on my 2020 2670MK. The brakes don't have any self adjusting mechanism. I did some research - lots of confusion on forums as I think that some of the fifth wheel units may come with brakes that are self adjusting but I don't think the Imagine series has ever (?) had them standard. Not sure about that but I know that the 10 inch brakes on my Dexter 4400 lbs axles do not have them. The brakes needed adjustment - first time they have been done and it has been driven 3,000 miles since new. Also, I was surprised that the adjustment holes in the backing plate (two per wheel) did not have any rubber plugs so I bought 8 of them at Napa and installed.

Link follows -

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/UBP8...ing+hole+cover
    The 2017/18 2670MK's all had Lippert axels/components. Later years they changed to Dexter. The self adjusting brakes were part of the updates to the 2018 models that started coming off the line in April of 2017. Mine literally was the last Lippert 2670MK without self adjusting. I still have the email from the Dealer that promised mine would be one of the first with SA brakes! Sadly, it wasn't... But I can't say what happened in later years when they switched to Dexter.
    Last edited by sande005; 05-17-2020 at 02:42 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked to Grand Design Customer Service and they said they should be self adjusting. I am going to get the numbers off the axle and call Dexter. If I have to, I will pull the brake drum again and snap a pic - should have done that when I had them apart originally.
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked to Grand Design Customer Service and they said they should be self adjusting. I am going to get the numbers off the axle and call Dexter. If I have to, I will pull the brake drum again and snap a pic - should have done that when I had them apart originally.

I called Dexter and gave them the S/N off my axles. They told me I do not have self adjusting brakes. Bummer. Did you jack yours up to manually adjust, or drive one tire up on blocks to lift the one you were working on?
    2020 Imagine Mk2670

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can definitely do it one wheel at a time....so you don't need to jack it up to get both wheels clear. You don't even have to remove the tire. You can do it with a flat blade screwdriver - you don't need a special tool. IMHO, you shouldn't depend on the self adjusting thing anyway. Any corrosion/resistance and guess what....it doesn't adjust. So you need to manually adjust it anyway.

This is a good video on how you do it.....straightforward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waNWLWy7sDY
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can definitely do it one wheel at a time....so you don't need to jack it up to get both wheels clear. You don't even have to remove the tire. You can do it with a flat blade screwdriver - you don't need a special tool. IMHO, you shouldn't depend on the self adjusting thing anyway. Any corrosion/resistance and guess what....it doesn't adjust. So you need to manually adjust it anyway.

This is a good video on how you do it.....straightforward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waNWLWy7sDY
    I'm familiar with how to do it from my old trailer. Just wondered how you did it. I'll have to build some wood cribbing to get the jack stand up high enough to support the frame and the same for the bottle jack. Thanks!
    2020 Imagine Mk2670

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm familiar with how to do it from my old trailer. Just wondered how you did it. I'll have to build some wood cribbing to get the jack stand up high enough to support the frame and the same for the bottle jack. Thanks!
    I used my floor jack along with a wooden block that I fabricated to fit under the equalizer. Then I put 6 ton floor jacks under the spring mounts, front & back. Got both wheels off the ground. Some folks use a roll-on lift jack which allows you to do one wheel at a time. Pics follow...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GD 2670MK Jack 1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	26570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GD 2670MK Jack 2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	26571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GD 2670MK Jack Stand.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	26572]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GD 2670MK Lifted1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	26573
    Last edited by Buckaroo; 05-18-2020 at 01:26 PM.
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I called Dexter and gave them the S/N off my axles. They told me I do not have self adjusting brakes. Bummer. Did you jack yours up to manually adjust, or drive one tire up on blocks to lift the one you were working on?
    Something is not tracking. GD said you should have them. Dexter says not. Time to call GD again, with your VIN and the serial # off the axels. Or probably pull a wheel and look, first. While in my case, I was irritated that the dealer promised I would get them, nothing was in writing, and at the time of the order they were shipping with manual brakes. So no real reason for a complaint. But if they are supposed to be there, and aren't.....
    On the Lippert version, the upgrade was not that expensive, and easy to do, if you are handy with doing any kind of work on the wheels at all. Probably same for Dexter, but why DIY if you can have GD fix what appears to be a mistake.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast