User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using slides in winter

We bought a Momentum 25g in July and are about to take our first winter trip. We live in Idaho and are going to attempt to escape some winter. How well do the slides work in cold weather?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They may be slow because if you have hydraulic system the fluid doesn't like the cold. Make sure if they are out that there is no snow on them. It may take a while to0 get them in if cold. If you can shut of the slides and only put one in at a time that may work the best.
    Idaho is a beautiful state. I lived in Couer D Alane for a while.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not knowing what type of slide the 25g has I can only relate to what's on my Momentum, 2 hydraulic and 3 swintech. First off snow/ice on top. You really need to brush it off. It can get pushed under the seal and into the rv, melting and making a mess. It can also build up into a snowball and stop the slide not allowing it to fully close.

I have put CAT anti-stiction fluid in my hydraulic system to help with hydraulic fluid making a popping noise, I think it probably helps with cold weather usage. I have slid in single digit temps many times and have had no hydraulic issues.

The Swintech's; The motors are kind of in the wall so stay relatively warm, no issues there. I have had ice and blowing snow collect in the the rails, the little squiggly tracks on the side of the slide. Those sometimes are a PITA to get cleared out, particularly if it is sleeting, blowing ice sideways, I really hate that....

We have slide toppers on ours. Light snow just rolls off the top when we slide, but heavy wet snow collapses them and then turns into slush/ice that will collect and jam up the slide. That has to be cleared.

i have broken many broom handles, metal and wood, clearing snow. After about a dozen different poles I bought a Wooster Sherlock pole. It's been the only one heavy duty enough to stand up to the torque of pushing snow/slush/ice off the slides. That and a stiff bristle brush works well for me.

Soft bristle brushes just collect slush/snow/ice and have to be cleaned frequently. Some people use a squeegee like end. I don't use anything with a metal head on it, afraid of tearing the roof. The length allows you to stand back just a bit from the edge of the roof, it's slick up there.

Have fun.
    Last edited by D2Reid; 02-13-2020 at 01:09 PM.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750