User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tree vs Grand Design Solitude

We are currently in San Fran bay area/Santa Cruz, and Sunday there were wind gusts up to 50+mph, took down a huge pine tree that looked like it a was 4 trees in one. Staying at a KOA near Santa Cruz. Lifted it right out of the ground, roots and all. Took out my truck mostly, was towed away yesterday to see if it's totaled or repairable.

The Grand Design 3740 also took a hit, in the nose area. We've had this rig only 1.5 months and over 30 years of RV camping, 1st tree damage ever.. :-( First trip for the Solitude was to travel from Michigan to Calif, over 2,500 miles without a scratch... The tree came down so hard on the roof it actually knocked off the A/C vent covers inside the rig and bent the Tripod under the king pin. What worries me the most, is that from the outside, it looks like it just has some rips and tears in the fiber glass (biggest rip is 14 inches). With so much force to damage the tripod and knock down the two AC vent covers in the master bedroom - what actual structure damage could there be? The claims adjuster is to arrive today, kinda worried he will just look at the tears in the fiberglass and patch those (also tears on the side and the slide out cover) and consider the insurance paid in full with the cosmetic work done.

Thoughts on ways to make sure we do not have serious structure damage under the fiberglass? We sent pictures to the grand design dealership near us, they came back and said they are not equipment for repairs so we have to search on our own a repair place (they are a full grand design dealership!!!)? Thinking a boat repair shop, but they will only focus on the fiberglass and not actually look at the frame?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnfire View Post
    We are currently in San Fran bay area/Santa Cruz, and Sunday there were wind gusts up to 50+mph, took down a huge pine tree that looked like it a was 4 trees in one. Staying at a KOA near Santa Cruz. Lifted it right out of the ground, roots and all. Took out my truck mostly, was towed away yesterday to see if it's totaled or repairable.

The Grand Design 3740 also took a hit, in the nose area. We've had this rig only 1.5 months and over 30 years of RV camping, 1st tree damage ever.. :-( First trip for the Solitude was to travel from Michigan to Calif, over 2,500 miles without a scratch... The tree came down so hard on the roof it actually knocked off the A/C vent covers inside the rig and bent the Tripod under the king pin. What worries me the most, is that from the outside, it looks like it just has some rips and tears in the fiber glass (biggest rip is 14 inches). With so much force to damage the tripod and knock down the two AC vent covers in the master bedroom - what actual structure damage could there be? The claims adjuster is to arrive today, kinda worried he will just look at the tears in the fiberglass and patch those (also tears on the side and the slide out cover) and consider the insurance paid in full with the cosmetic work done.

Thoughts on ways to make sure we do not have serious structure damage under the fiberglass? We sent pictures to the grand design dealership near us, they came back and said they are not equipment for repairs so we have to search on our own a repair place (they are a full grand design dealership!!!)? Thinking a boat repair shop, but they will only focus on the fiberglass and not actually look at the frame?
    More then likely it will be a total. So sad to say.... Does not take much to total an RV.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your best hope is a total. Considering how hard you say the tree hit, most likely the aluminum in the sidewall is bent. Also, did you look at the suspension? May not have done anything, but if it bent the Tripod - WOW... Lastly, the initial estimate usually allows for an adjustment for other things found during the repair - if they don't total it. Push for the total, ask lots of questions and good luck. Very sad day
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    Your best hope is a total. Considering how hard you say the tree hit, most likely the aluminum in the sidewall is bent. Also, did you look at the suspension? May not have done anything, but if it bent the Tripod - WOW... Lastly, the initial estimate usually allows for an adjustment for other things found during the repair - if they don't total it. Push for the total, ask lots of questions and good luck. Very sad day
    Agree, push for total. Can be lots of hidden damage...
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the quick feedback!!!!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnfire View Post

If it bent your tripod that was a lot of force. Get a good flashlight and start inspecting for damage seperation and anything that does not look right. Check the attacment points of your front jacks. Check all hatch doors and windows around the damaged area for alignment and proper functioning. Sight along the length of the trailer and look for buldges or waves in the fiberglass that could indicate internal damage. Look for seperation in the calking on the roof, windows, skirt and front cap in the damaged area. In the bed room check anyplace that panels come together for seperation. Check all the walls in the beedroom for bulges. Then there are the slides. At some point you will need to run them all in and out checking for smooth operation and alignment. I say all because an impact like that with the slides open could cause problems. Look at everything and take lots of pictures. Good luck.
    Last edited by J&J___; 02-12-2020 at 08:54 AM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome advice folks.

Update; Need a sad camper emoji. Wind storm happened on Sunday. Today is Tuesday and while I wait for the claim adjuster to arrive, there is the sound of chain saws all around us. The KOA is "now" taking down trees that are still standing. Too bad they could not have done this before the big one crashed on us Sunday and taken out our brand new - dreamed of for 8+ years - 5th wheel...... :--(

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry to hear that fightnfire, I hope everything works out well and your insurance makes you whole again. My biggest fear with my rig when towing or staying in it is trees, they can tear up the world. Good luck to you and post back how it works out.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really doesn't matter what the adjuster comes up with. In this day, most insurers do not even have qualified talent on-staff to evaluate campers. Ultimately, the deciding factor will be once the knowledgeable professionals are into it. When it comes to such a new unit, insurers will really push for repair. Lucky for you, that can be done where YOU choose, and that can be the GD factory. Also, if they push you for a repair you raise your hand and say that you fear unseen structural damage and may be unsafe to tow! If the hit bent your tripod, the nose needs to be removed to examine the frame welds- period.

So sorry you have experienced a Titanic maiden voyage. Fortunately, all are safe and uninjured. I too wish CGs were more proactive with tree care a d maintainance. Every year for the past 8 years I have seen campers hit by fallen trees. Good luck with sorting everything out.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an accident with my Reflection when it was 5 days old in the Smokies. Progressive has a dedicated, experienced RV adjuster in the area. And my dealer had a full RV body shop 20 miles from the main location.

Too bad RV body shops take in too much work--far more than they can possibly complete promptly. Took 5 months before they started on my fifth wheel. GD Parts came in very slow as they have to order them from their sub-contractor suppliers. The worst part is that they charged $150 per labor hour--three times the labor hour that auto body shops charge in the area. It's almost like a license to steal. Thankfully it doesn't take much to total out an RV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast