User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

15/20A connection protection

I have borrowed a few driveways in our travels. Most of the time, my friends don't have a 30/50Amp connector for the camper, but are willing to have me connect a regular extension cord to the RV.

Of course, I have an expensive surge suppressor like the rest of you probably have with a couple of "dogbone" connectors to/from different plug formats. But, it is a big thing and I am not sure it is as good at protection when it is not connected to the 50Amp as designed.

Rather than just connecting an extension cord to an adapter to your RV, check out this inexpensive protection (which I now use for low-power hookups):

https://www.amazon.com/Appliance-Pro.../dp/B012P95E5E

It will not only protect, but cut the power if too high, or too low voltage, current spikes, etc. I thought it was a good solution for the driveway surfers out there.

Just for full disclosure, here is the connection to the RV: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HKHC7P8/

Be sure to buy yourself a 12/3 (12 gauge) or a 10/3 (10 gauge) good quality extension cord for such opportunities. The cheap ones will get hot and not safe!
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It all depends on what you have for power protection. My Progressive Dynamics is just fine, even with "only" a 15 amp connection. Circuit breakers are what protect you if the amps are too high. So if your RV is trying to pull more than the house can supply, the house breaker will trip. The better "surge" connectors protect against too high or too low voltages, which is different than the amps.....
    There is a relationship, so there can be cases where the RV tries to pull too many amps, and that causes the voltage to drop. And a higher end protector will shut things down before the circuit breaker trips. Check the manual for the specs on your surge protector. You may not need any additional when plugged into a house circuit.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surge protectors deal with voltage,
    Circuit breakers deal with amperage.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide