User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you use a checklist?

I have only been camping for 18 months or so and came up with a checklist to make sure that i do not forget to do things before pulling out of the house, pulling into the campground, then leaving the campground. I have a separate packing list that is changes slightly depending on the trip. I have shared mine below and would like to see some others that you guys use. Also please suggest changes to mine.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use a list. Never had time to make one LOL
    I have only hooked mine up more than hundred times.
    I have been to more than 60 places
    If I forget to pack something there is always a store to buy it at.
    Camping would be different but then again there should be a town somewhere close by.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use one. One folded front/back piece of paper. Reads like an aviation checklist: challenge - reply. (Jack - Raised). Wife didn’t seem too keen on it, but picked it up quickly and it did make us quicker and more efficient especially if tired or in a hurry.

I know all too well the little things I’ll forget. Sure, with more time the checklist will become automatic and we probably won’t need the piece of paper. It’s still nice to know for certain everything is good, especially when pressed for time.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use one every time we hook/unhook or move the trailer. Even though a commercial pilot has used his checklist for 20 years, he still uses it for every flight. There is too much at stake if you were to miss one item and it led to an issue.

I take the same view with my trailer. I’ve seen videos of dropped trailers, trailers that have slid due to no blocking/chocks, etc. The checklist keeps me on track, and I know exactly where to start up, if I’ve become distracted.

I started with a generic one, then modified it to meet the needs. It’s probably seen 10-15 revisions, over time. Like Karl Malden (who’s that, for the younger set), I don’t leave home without it.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you guys be willing to share?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife uses one for the inside, so we do not forget things. I have a little rhyme I use for the outside. I use an Anderson hitch where when the ball goes into the adapter block the locking pin need to be engaged. A few times in the beginning I would be a few miles down the road and suddenly realize I was not sure I had pushed that little handle in. It goes like this.

In and pin,
    Lights and locks,
    Check yer mirrors,
    Grab yer chocks.
    Bottoms up,
    Top is down,
    Sides are tight,
    Wheels go round.

Here it is again with what each line tells me in parenthesis...

In and pin, (the ball is in the block and the locking pin is engaged)
    Lights and locks, (the trailer cord is plugged into the truck and the safety chains are locked in place)
    Check yer mirrors, (with a Ram truck pivot the mirrors down to towing positions)
    Grab yer chocks. (put them away)
    Bottoms up, (anything on the bottom has been retracted; i.e. leveling jacks and stairs)
    Top is down, (step back and look at the top to verify all hatches and antennas are down)
    Sides are tight, (walk around the trailer to verify sides are in, windows shut and range vent shut)
    Wheels go round. (checklist complete...ready to roll!)

Because it rhymes I find it easy to remember, and it works for me as long as I take the time to follow it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First time trying to upload anything other than a photo. Hope this works. Just made a couple of minor modifications, as we are preparing for our first trip of the year...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody has their own way of doing things.
    We use check lists. Before we ever pull out we go over the lists. Separate Interior and Exterior check lists. On the Exterior list I may not be the one driving so the wife has the memory jogger to do a pull and tug test. The exterior list is laminated and stowed in the drivers seat pocket. It is always there. We try to keep them simple one page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails preflight scan.jpeg  
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not only check lists for towing but we also have a check list for maintenance, a maintenance log by month and year. Its 4 pages long and is in a simple excel spreadsheet. The 4 pages for year 2020 are in a 3 ring binder and is kept together in the black bag with the rest of the RV docs. We don't take credit for this maintenance log, it was given to people who attended the GDRV Texas Rally last year.

Here is our blank maintenance log.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails maint 1.jpeg   Maint 2.jpeg   Maint 3.jpeg   Maint 4.jpeg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 02-15-2020 at 09:06 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use check lists every time. Have several that we use. One for outside arrival, one for outside departure, and two for the inside. Also have one for the sticks and bricks when we are leaving for a trip.

Found a little free iPhone app. Works great and I always have my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike, Linda, and Shady (terrier mix rescue)

Reflection 150 230 RL with free standing dinette (swapped location of the dinette and the recliners)
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali
    B&W Companion Hitch and Turning Point Pin Box locked out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast