Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info, Thanks for sharing!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody has to do what fits with how their brain works. For me, a long checklist becomes one of those things that you look at without seeing. If you do use one, I would make an effort to keep it short and only include the things that are really important.

I prefer to keep myself aware and thinking. And I leave myself reminders as I go. For example, I like to have all the doors locked for travel. If I don't have the keys with me for whatever reason, I leave the assist handle out to remind me that part is not finished.

For critical tasks, like hitching up, I force myself to work on only that task. In my head it goes something like this: Jaws open, pin height, back in, listen and feel for the latch, check latch handle, check jaws closed, tailgate up, plug in wire, connect brake cable, safety pin in, jacks up. I may have missed something in my writing of it, but while I'm doing it, the process flows. If I'm interrupted, I start that whole thing at the beginning. Once it is finished it becomes one item:

Hitched?.... Yes

I also try to remind myself of unusual things. For example if we stop for the night but don't unhook, I leave a note on the steering wheel that says "JACKS".

I know this got a little wordy, but that's how I look at things.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    Everybody has to do what fits with how their brain works. For me, a long checklist becomes one of those things that you look at without seeing. If you do use one, I would make an effort to keep it short and only include the things that are really important.

I prefer to keep myself aware and thinking. And I leave myself reminders as I go. For example, I like to have all the doors locked for travel. If I don't have the keys with me for whatever reason, I leave the assist handle out to remind me that part is not finished.

For critical tasks, like hitching up, I force myself to work on only that task. In my head it goes something like this: Jaws open, pin height, back in, listen and feel for the latch, check latch handle, check jaws closed, tailgate up, plug in wire, connect brake cable, safety pin in, jacks up. I may have missed something in my writing of it, but while I'm doing it, the process flows. If I'm interrupted, I start that whole thing at the beginning. Once it is finished it becomes one item:

Hitched?.... Yes

I also try to remind myself of unusual things. For example if we stop for the night but don't unhook, I leave a note on the steering wheel that says "JACKS".

I know this got a little wordy, but that's how I look at things.
    That's pretty much how I do it as well. Same steps EVERY time in order for unhitching and for hitching up. The absolute 1st thing when unhitching is chocking the trailer tires before doing anything! The very first thing when breaking camp is folding down the table leaf lol ( see tough table leaf thread in 'It happened to me thread ) . I think if you do it the same way every time and start over if you get interrupted then that's the same as a list but less laborious.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was operating a multi-million dollar aircraft a couple of hundred switches and buttons and multiple lives and lots of property at risk, yeah. Pulling a 5er, specific notes for specific items, but otherwise nope. I just do multiple walk thrus and around. New note to check the new small file cabinet before opening the opposite kitchen slide since that is a new addition and it is on casters. When I find an issue, I stop and correct it and then continue on. Once that one is done, I do another and when I can complete it without finding an issue, then I am ready.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use a check list when we were newbies many years ago. I now have a routine and haven’t used a check list for a long time. Like Txfivver said, do it the same way every time. If I get interrupted I go back to the beginning. I also do a walk through on the inside after DW is done and she does a walk around on the outside after I am done.

And as Roll with the changes said, I will stick a post it note on the steering wheel for any out of the ordinary reminders.

Either with or without a checklist, take your time, check and double check.
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is amazing !! Should be posted everywhere !! 👍

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sue and I have been using this checklist on a clipboard for a number of years.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an amazing app for my phone. It is RV CHECKLIST by Adventure Trek. It comes with several typical RV checklists, but all of them are customizable, plus you can add your own lists. My list have been refined over my first few trips and now is a very reliable source for us. I have a pre-departure list, a stuff to bring list, a list for closing up the house, etc.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN-Mark View Post
    I used to use a check list when we were newbies many years ago. I now have a routine and haven’t used a check list for a long time. Like Txfivver said, do it the same way every time. If I get interrupted I go back to the beginning. I also do a walk through on the inside after DW is done and she does a walk around on the outside after I am done.

And as Roll with the changes said, I will stick a post it note on the steering wheel for any out of the ordinary reminders.

Either with or without a checklist, take your time, check and double check.
    Post it notes stuck on the steering wheel is a great idea for reminders.
    I probably should have quantified my posting about our check list. We don't use our check list as in a step by step procedure. Read step one, do it, check, read step 2 do it, check. As others have said once you have done it so many times it becomes repetitious. My first thing Always when hitching "drop the tailgate", haha lol, don't want that one to bite me.
    For us all hitched up and ready to go, as we are setting in our truck ready to pull out, we use our list as sort of a final check & reminder before we pull out. We have forgot and left the go bag in the RV. Our list reminds us, is the bag in the truck?
    Everybody has their own systematic approach that works for them.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 02-24-2020 at 01:13 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a checklist, most of the time. We are old hands at camping but fairly new to this 5er stuff. Almost all our trouble comes from not following the list... Our most common error is not doing things in the best sequence. Therefore we go back and re-do or whatever.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast