Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Meter

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Water Meter

So I recently installed a water meter (gauge?) on the outlet side of the water filter. Potable water comes from the spigot, through a water pressure regulator, into our 16,000-grain water softener, into our water filter, through the water meter, and into the Nautilus.
    Today's project was to pull the potable water drain so I knew I was starting with an empty tank, (then close it) then fill the fresh tank while keeping track of how many gallons it took to illuminate the 1/3 the 2/3 and FULL lights on the control panel inside.
    DW monitored the control panel inside and repeatedly hit the display button calling out to me exactly when each light illuminated.
    According to Grand Design's website, our freshwater tank is 40 gallons, (tiny I know!) so I was guessing we would hit about 13 gallons for the 1/3 light, and about 26 gallons for 2/3.
    Nope. At 25.5 gallons the 1/3 indicator lit up. We got a light on 2/3 with 35.2 gallons and the full light glowed brightly as soon as we hit 42.2 gallons!
    These were very disappointing results. I understand why the black and grey tank gauges are always off, knowing what's in those tanks, but this is clean water in a relatively new trailer. It's like they weren't even trying to be accurate.
    On a side note, water started coming out the overflow right as I hit 42 gallons.
    I have a Sharkbite valve installed so I close that prior to moving, then open it when we reach our boondocking spot.

I got out the trusty label maker and made a slight modification to our display panel so we have a better idea of how much useable water we actually have in the tank when we're out boondocking!
    I am going to order another one of these water meters and install it on our orange flush hose so we can keep track of how many gallons we're putting into the black tank (when we flush the black tank).
    Here's the water meter if anyone wants to do this...
    https://amzn.to/31J1Wm6

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water meter 1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	24813 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4546.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	24814

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same thing when our unit was new. Definitely helps a lot. Here are my results:

Fresh:
    Stated 54
    Actual 52

Gray 1 (bath) + Gray 2 (kitchen):
    Stated 87 online and 75 on factory weight sheet
    Actual 63

Black:
    Stated online 47 and 43 on factory weight sheet
    Actual 41

Fresh:
    1/3 - 11
    2/3 - 25
    Full - 40
    Overflow - 52

Gray 1 (Bath)
    1/3 - 9
    2/3 - 21.5
    Full - 30
    Max - 35

Gray 2 (Kitchen)
    1/3 - 6.5
    2/3 - 11
    Full - 24.5
    Max - 28

Black:
    1/3 - 9
    2/3 - 20.5
    Full - 30.5
    Max - 41
    Last edited by Justa5th; 02-11-2020 at 08:51 PM.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justa5th View Post
    I did the same thing when our unit was new. Definitely helps a lot. Here are my results:

Fresh:
    Stated 54
    Actual 52

Gray 1 (bath) + Gray 2 (kitchen):
    Stated 87 online and 75 on factory weight sheet
    Actual 63

Black:
    Stated online 47 and 43 on factory weight sheet
    Actual 41

Fresh:
    1/3 - 11
    2/3 - 25
    Full - 40
    Overflow - 52

Gray 1 (Bath)
    1/3 - 9
    2/3 - 21.5
    Full - 30
    Max - 35

Gray 2 (Kitchen)
    1/3 - 6.5
    2/3 - 11
    Full - 24.5
    Max - 28

Black:
    1/3 - 9
    2/3 - 20.5
    Full - 30.5
    Max - 41
    That's crazy.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    That's crazy.
    Unfortunately very typical.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m more disappointed with the “advertised” tank sizes vs what they actually hold. 24 gallons less gray and 6 of black is significant when your dry camping. What’s interesting is the gray tanks actually are stamped for a total of 94 gallons but because of the way they are installed they can’t fully expand. Grand Designs response was the tanks meet the advertised amount so tough.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There needs to be a better system, I think this way of measuring tanks has been around since the beginning of time. The resistance probe works OK for the fresh water but introduce solids into the mix, then I find the not reliable.

For my 310GK, GD includes the hot water tank in the total fresh water capacity, kind of misleading if you think that is the fresh water holding tank capacity.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2021 RAM 3500 MegaCab SWD Diesel 4x4
    SOLD --> 2020 Solitude 310GK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Grand Design is guilty of false advertising since they purposely list incorrect capacities on their website.
    For my Reflection they list the fresh capacity as 52 gallons hoping you won’t notice the “4” note next to it that refers below in the legend, to pre-2018 model Imagine and Transcend Only.
    On the specs for a Reflection! on several actually. Clearly deceptive practices.

Name:	Adjustments.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	24822

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I opened the under belly of my 230RL to reroute the fresh water over flow, in order to actually get a full load of fresh water.( gained over 10 gallons ).. I noticed the sensors where on the very aft of the tank and very close together....due to the holding tank very irregular shape, I don't think evenly spaced sensors would practical... the 1/3 sensor would be on the bottom slope of the boat hull shaped tank... also any nose down trailer position of the trailer would radically change readings..... A useless fact ( L x W x H ) in inches divided by 231 = Gallons.....
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Grand Design is guilty of false advertising since they purposely list incorrect capacities on their website.
    For my Reflection they list the fresh capacity as 52 gallons hoping you won’t notice the “4” note next to it that refers below in the legend, to pre-2018 model Imagine and Transcend Only.
    On the specs for a Reflection! on several actually. Clearly deceptive practices.

Name:	Adjustments.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	24822

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Of course I’m sure there is also a disclaimer about inaccuracies and year to year changes so don’t hold us to it. Disappointing to say the least.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if these capacities are so varied because of the placement of the vent tube , if the tube is in to far wouldn't you get less than stellar holding capacities?
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast