Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrong Axles Installed on 337RLS

This thread is for GD Senior Management attention and a response would be appreciated.

While following the Forum regarding ongoing problems associated with leaking Lippert bearing seals and seeing some references to wrong axles (under weight) being installed on some units I was curious to check my axle ratings. On 6/17, while at the Anchor Down Rally in TN I was astounded to find my 2014 337 had 5200lb axles installed vice the 6000lb axles stated on the GD data plate.

I immediately called GD Customer Service ( my unit is still under warranty) and informed Jerry of the issue. Jerry did some research and agreed there was a problem. He requested I contact a dealer and arrange to have the axles replaced. I contacted Southern RV in Richmond, VA and have arranged an appointment for 6 July. I have no idea how long the repair will take, depending on axle availability and the dealer work schedule.

This is an obvious Quality Process failure at GD and should be brought to the immediate attention at the corporate level. It should be noted that my unit build sheet includes the written serial numbers of both axels, so someone had to record that information directly off the axle data tags. The weight rating information is imprinted directly below the serial numbers, how in the world could that information be missed? I can only assume it was missed/ignored out of carelessness. Even so, your quality process should have caught it during production or at PDI. This is a serious quality and safety issue that should have never happened and honestly leaves me less confident in GDs product quality processes.
    I know this issue will be fixed and I hope quickly but it comes during prime camping season. Just another reason to be frustrated over something that was totally avoidable.
    Steve and Bonnie
    Appomattox, VA
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    VIN: 573FR3624E3300391
    2013 Ram 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would certainly hope they would review their records and send notices to those effected. I'm sure someone is on the hot seat for that error.
    Susan and Jim
    2015 Reflection 27RL
    2013 Ford F350 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4 SRW
    PullRite Superglide 16K Hitch
    Timbren SES

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know whether we were the first or not, but as I posted over the last two months, we experienced severe inside edge wear on the rear axle tires, and through email dialogue discovered the undersize 5200 lb. axles on our 337, vin ending in 393, built March 2014, GDRV stepped up and shipped two complete axles (springs and brake assemblies) and four new tires to Tarpley RV in Durango, CO. We had a few odds and ends of other work for them, and they completed the work in two days. I specifically asked them to adjust the brakes! I strongly suggest everyone with a 337 get under their unit and look at the Lippert sticker in the center of the axle. It should say 6000 lb. capacity. As far as Susan and Jim's point about notifying those affected, I don't think GD does know, because from our tour at the first rally, frames come from Lippert with axles attached! I deeply appreciate Grand Design doing the right thing for us!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve gravelle View Post
    frames come from Lippert with axles attached!
    That's what I thought. If you look at https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7537.../data=!3m1!1e3 you will see Lippert just down and across the road from Grand Design, and you can see frames and axles put together and ready to go.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see a NTSA recall in the future.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where does one determine the axle capacity of the axles mounted on our trlr?
    Chris
    Kanata ON
    2015 337RLS, 2014 Ram 3500 DRW CTD Crew Cab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, Safely crawl under the trailer and look at the rear of each axle. There is a label with all the information on it. I took a photo with my phone incase I ever need that info.
    Susan and Jim
    2015 Reflection 27RL
    Timbren SES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also should have added that once you have determined what axles are on your trailer you should look at the silver information sticker located on the front road side to make sure they match..
    Susan and Jim
    2015 Reflection 27RL
    Timbren SES

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    I also should have added that once you have determined what axles are on your trailer you should look at the silver information sticker located on the front road side to make sure they match..
    The silver label on the driver's side will list "GAWR" which stands for Gross Axle Weight Rating. In the case of my 337, it is 6000#. The label on the axle will clearly state the size of the axle. It should match the GAWR. If different, contact GD or your dealer to get it fixed.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

scott42blue
    I don't get it. Defective axles, axle seals, break aweigh switch, rear ramp on toy haulers, awnings, refrigerators, the list goes on. Sometimes GD steps in and takes care of major problem. Many other times they don't and give you a phone number to supplier and tell you " Good Luck ".
    Did any of us write a check to lippert, carefree or atwood.
    Anyone else wonder about this and when your turn may come up ?
    Scott

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast