Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GD and RV newbie - Looking at 2600RB

Greetings all. Just beginning to scratch the surface of this site. We just bought a 2019 Expy Platinum with the HD trailer towing package and are looking at a 2600RB. Ran the numbers using the Keep Your Daydream spreadsheet and it seems like we should be fine carrying a total of 5 in the SUV. Does anyone have an opinion about this? I welcome all thoughts and views and appreciate being able to be a part of the group!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Expedition’s are great vehicles but they have a payload problem. The loaded Platinum suffers even more than an XLT. Open the drivers side door and look at the yellow payload sticker, that’s how much weight it will carry including the weight of the trailer tongue. I’m guessing 1450lbs but look to be sure.

30ft Imagine trailers like the 2600rb have list tongue weight in the 550lb range. That number is a joke, it’s pretty common for the 2500RL and 2600RB models to have about a 900lb tongue weight.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...235#post270235

So figure 900lbs plus you’ll need a weight distribution hitch with sway control which adds 75lbs, plus your people. Also the Platinum comes with 22” wheels. Those are not a good choice for towing. 17” or 18” would allow for a smoother ride and the option of moving up in load range.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would this help: Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution System w/ 4-Point Sway Control - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would this help: Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution System w/ 4-Point Sway Control - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you need that to tow a trailer, No it doesn’t help your playlist numbers. What does the sticker say?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1499 total weight of all passengers and cargo

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s not terrible, but now you have a number to work with. Just know that whatever you put for weight in the front of the camper or in the Expedition works against that number. For example the five of you weigh less than 600lbs?

I read a post this week and someone posted their 2600rb tongue weight as 820lbs. That’s the lightest I’ve seen as most are in a 900-1000lb range.

I suggest putting 2600rb in the search box and see what others are towing with. I think I’ve only seen one other expedition listed on here towing something that size.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome and enjoy the rig and the site. Definitely check the weight ratings.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of half-ton pick-up trucks towing Imagine 2600RBs that have about the same payload capacity as your SUV. Depending on how much your passengers and cargo will weigh, you may be okay.

The 1,200/12,000 Equal-i-zer hitch would be a good choice. With a 1,000/10,000 hitch you would run the risk of exceeding the hitch's rated capacity. Our Imagine 2800BH is similar in size and weight to the 2600RB, and our loaded hitch weight is about 1,000-lbs. so I'm glad we went with the 1,200/12,000 hitch.

Regardless of what travel trailer you end up with, you'll want to adjust your weight distributing hitch to match the loaded configuration of the trailer, so that you achieve a good distribution of weight between the tow vehicle's front and rear axles and adequate sway control function. Getting a good balance of weight distribution between the tow vehicle's front and rear axles may be even more important due to the shorter wheelbase of an SUV vs. a pick-up truck.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch