Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pin Box Loose

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2, once a year at least for me checking the important bolts, besides lug nuts. When I do go to a bigger bolt, I make sure the shear strength is not to high for what I am installing it on, so if it needs to shear it will be able to at proper time, prevents more damage. Hootie

thompsjk
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootie View Post
    X2, once a year at least for me checking the important bolts, besides lug nuts. When I do go to a bigger bolt, I make sure the shear strength is not to high for what I am installing it on, so if it needs to shear it will be able to at proper time, prevents more damage. Hootie
    I can't really think of a time I would want the bolts to shear. I definitely would not want someone to pull out in front of me, hit them and then be ran over by a 19,000# fifth wheel because the bolts sheared. I would not want to be rearended by a 18 wheeler and have them shear. I can't imagine designing a hitch to shear. Fifth wheel hitches are the only hitches that I know of that don't have safety chains for this very reason. Both of my goose neck trailers have safety chains and you will get a ticket for not having them hooked up. But none of that really matters because knowing what I know about Lippert frames it would fail else where first. Lippert has had numerous frame failures at the pin box. If I was building RVs I would not be using Lippert frames.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsjk View Post
    If I was building RVs I would not be using Lippert frames.
    Lippert builds frames to the spec's of the RV Manufacturers.

Don't point the finger at Lippert, when the Manufacturer's engineers designed inferior frames....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

thompsjk
    Most of the welds on Lippert frames look like something a ten year old did. The RV manufacturer specs out the dimensions and GWR. Lippert designs and builds the frame to that. That's why the RV manufacturer does not warranty the frame. The frames are warrantied by Lippert. But the RV manufacturers also hold part of the blame for letting Lippert get by with such poor products by doing business with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsjk View Post
    Most of the welds on Lippert frames look like something a ten year old did. The RV manufacturer specs out the dimensions and GWR. Lippert designs and builds the frame to that. That's why the RV manufacturer does not warranty the frame. The frames are warrantied by Lippert. But the RV manufacturers also hold part of the blame for letting Lippert get by with such poor products by doing business with them.
    Wow, Jeff. You REALLY don't like Lippert, do you? Not only that, but you just offended 10 year olds everywhere. Maybe you should have an RV with someone else's frame. Maybe that will make you feel better and stop spewing negative stuff like this. If Lippert is soooo bad, as you say, show us the numbers.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

thompsjk
    I would rather a Leland frame but when Lippert makes the frames for 70-80 percent of RVs that does not leave much to choose from. I do feel that Grand Design has one of the if not the best quality products in their price range regardless of the Lippert frame. The only warranty work that I have had done to my Momentum was a hydraulic hose that had the fitting not crimped properly, guess who made the hose? I personally know two people that have had welds break on Lippert frames. The welds on my Momentum are a lot better than my last fifth wheel but still not great. A little research online will give you a lot of info on Lippert.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...print/true.cfm

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ame-10934.html

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/20526658.cfm

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/24391034.cfm

This was just a quick few.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I was referring to in the bolts shearing was if someone put graded bolts higher than was was suppose to be in them.. I have driven 30 + years down I-40 and other roads like most other campers. Seen TV and 5er accidents and seen the pin box and or hitch come loose from trailer and or truck due to the stretching and twisting action and the bolts fractured and broke as designed and truck stayed up right and trailer flipped on side. And I have seen both on side where nothing was going to help, it was going to happen due to circumstances.... point being is the bolts designed to work will work in every day normal use and in extreme cases if they fracture and brake when suppose to you could save people and property. If you put a higher grade in place of what is recommended it might not do it's job and more damage, injury could result. Hootie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff, I think Lippert builds a pretty good frame, at least for the Keystone Montana line

cuttinchief
    I think it's all robots. The Solitude has a great frame because GD spec'd it. Frames are only as good as the designer. That double stacked frame Z of the GD Solitude it's top notch

thompsjk
    I don't think design is bad. I think quality control at Lippert is not great and was also told that very same thing by the mobile RV tech that came out and replaced the bad slide hose on my Momentum. I have been in the oil and gas industry for the past 20 years and spent quit a bit of time in the ship yards working on new facilities being built and have been around a lot of welding? I know what quality welds look like, the welding repairs I do on my farm and the welds on Lippert frames are not quality welds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast