User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide Stabilizers Or Nah?

The DW and I have just recently become full-timers and are trying to decide whether or not we should use slide stabilizers on our 2020 Imagine 2970RL.

We have read many opinions on websites. Some folks say we'll possibly void our warranty and that they're too dangerous because a tire could go flat or we could sink into the ground a bit causing too much upward force on the slide. (Wouldn't the trailer stabilizers significantly reduce that possibility?)

Others say that if you're leaving your slides out for long periods of time you need to reduce the excess downward stress.

I'd like the forum's input.

Thanks,
    Mike

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never used personally, but I'm not full timing it either. Almost every single trailer manufacturer says that you should NOT use them, including Grand Design. That's good enough for me.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Running on MT View Post
    The DW and I have just recently become full-timers and are trying to decide whether or not we should use slide stabilizers on our 2020 Imagine 2970RL.

We have read many opinions on websites. Some folks say we'll possibly void our warranty and that they're too dangerous because a tire could go flat or we could sink into the ground a bit causing too much upward force on the slide. (Wouldn't the trailer stabilizers significantly reduce that possibility?)

Others say that if you're leaving your slides out for long periods of time you need to reduce the excess downward stress.

I'd like the forum's input.

Thanks,
    Mike

From the Solitude Owner's Manual: "The slide out rooms DO NOT (their emphasis) need additional support. Non-warranty damage can occur from improper use of aftermarket support jacks."
    2019 F350 DRW, Crew Cab, Long bed,
    B&W Companion Hitch w/puck system
    2020 Solitude 310-GK

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely NOT!!! If the rig settles (as has happened on the last three sites we've been on), the so-called slide stabilizers will damage the slide frames and/or mechanisms. The slides are designed to support themselves and these devices shouldn't even be on the market.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. That's where I was leaning, just wanted to see if anyone had any differing opinions.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got this off another web site
    Originally Posted by Jlwright
    I could certainly see a problem if a tire went down. Maybe I'll just hold off on that purchase.
    In addition to a tire deflation causing severe "upward pressure" on the slide mechanism, consider that this entire thread has been devoted to "shaking" and "movement" of the trailer frame, much of that from the tires/suspension moving up and down causing a "noticeable movement" inside the RV. If you install a rigid support under the slide to stop that movement, yet it continues along the RV chassis (to which the slide mechanism is welded), you are quite likely to cause stress to the slide tubes where they "bend" as the RV moves, while the slide is restricted from moving. That bending could lead to damaged slide extension rod mechanisms and cause a restricted/binding mechanism on slide movement.

In the "old days" when "tip-outs" first appeared in RV's, slide stabilizers and slide locks were a requirement. They were used to support the "tip-out" and formed the foundation to keep the "moving part of the RV" level. As the industry progressed to manual slides and crank out slides, a better "support system" was developed. Today's slides are well supported in the "out" position, but many are above the floor when in the travel position and those won't support weight until extended. Most Keystone slides have cautions to not walk on or sit on them when in the travel position.

As the industry progressed, the slide stabilizers were no longer needed, but in the "interest of self preservation" many of the stabilizer manufacturers just changed their "sales tactics" and started suggesting people use them to "support the new slides". In today's slides, there's really no benefit to using stabilizers under slides and if the RV moves (or shakes) more harm than good can come from using them.

I'd recommend using the money for something else, your RV is designed and engineered so it doesn't need slide stabilizers.
    NAVY 1980-1984
    2022 Reflection 337 RLS
    2023 GMC SierraDenali 2500 HD
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My GD owners manual says no. That’s good enough for me.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Running on MT View Post
    Thanks everyone. That's where I was leaning, just wanted to see if anyone had any differing opinions.

Mike

There shouldn't 't be any "leaning" on this issue. It should be closed and no consideration to using them. In this case it's not opinions, it's fact.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will join the crowd ... nope ... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah..........
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired