User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

315RLTS 2020??? What's the difference

Next week my wife and I will be looking at a 2020 315RLTS. We have a 2017RLTS now and have enjoyed it, and have done many small DIY projects to make it a bit more comfortable for us. Howson and Chief have been an inspiration to me on what they have and continue to do to make our trailers quite a bit better and I have used their incredible knowledge to help me with our trailer. From when I first joined the GD Forum, I know that some of you 315RLTS owners have gotten a newer model. For those of you that have, I would like to know if you can tell me what the differences are that made you decide to get a newer model? From the spec sheets and the floor plans pictures, they look the same to me. I like the idea that the 2020 has 16" wheels but don't know what else GD might have done that would cause me to get a new trailer. Any advise, information or questions I might ask the salesman would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Bruce
    Bruce & Sue plus 1ea fluffy Chow Chow (Maggie)
    1999 Ford F350 CC Lariat 7.3L diesel Power Stroke
    2017 315 RLTS Purchased Sept 2018
    Reese Straight Line Trunion Weight Distribution
    2000 Mariah Z308 at Bull Frog Marina, Lake Powell

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bollyb View Post
    Next week my wife and I will be looking at a 2020 315RLTS. We have a 2017RLTS now and have enjoyed it, and have done many small DIY projects to make it a bit more comfortable for us. Howson and Chief have been an inspiration to me on what they have and continue to do to make our trailers quite a bit better and I have used their incredible knowledge to help me with our trailer. From when I first joined the GD Forum, I know that some of you 315RLTS owners have gotten a newer model. For those of you that have, I would like to know if you can tell me what the differences are that made you decide to get a newer model? From the spec sheets and the floor plans pictures, they look the same to me. I like the idea that the 2020 has 16" wheels but don't know what else GD might have done that would cause me to get a new trailer. Any advise, information or questions I might ask the salesman would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Bruce
    Hi Bruce. I had a 2017 and now have a 2020 315RLTS. I'll try to list the differences off the top of my head.
    Exterior color and graphics changed. White body with dark graphics. The nose is dark instead of the white on the'17. The look is different but for us it's a push. Both look good to me.

Interior décor is called "pebble". It's much lighter than the cappuccino. From pictures We thought we wouldn't like it. In person we much prefer it. The trailer feels much brighter and airy. With the old décor I'd have lighting on during the day.

They added a window over the stove. This makes a bigger difference than it seems it would. I always thought the lack of a window on that side of the trailer was a mistake.

Roll up room darkening shades.

Removable vented panel on the front of the hutch. Now you have easy access to the furnace, converter and wiring. Helps with excess heat in the hutch. This change was made in '18 MY. Thermostat and fan control moved out from under the cabinets. Makes thermostat more accurate and now you don't have to bend over to see the fan controls.

Hutch has "tile" backsplash. I'm on the fence here. The electrical outlets were moved to the bottom of the cabinets. Not a fan of this.

Tank heaters have been added.

Wood door trim on refer matches cabinets. Looks good but that took away a place for our refrigerator magnets.

Coleman A/C units replace the Dometics. They are quieter than the Dometics by quite a bit.

The fire escape window is now a real hinged fire escape giving you the whole window space to get out. The '17 you had to open the window and wriggle through half the space.

Sliding barn door on the bedroom. Looks nice but not sure it's an improvement functionally.

Solid window treatments instead of cloth.

Bench seat with storage at the dinette w/ freestanding table.

Overall we really love the new interior and prefer it to the cappuccino. YMMV.

Outside, along with the 16 inch wheels, GD is now putting Goodyear Endurance tires on, at least that's what I've read. Big upgrade IMHO over the Westlakes that are on our Aug build.

Frame. The frame rails on my '17 were fabricated I beams, ie: three pieces welded together. The '20 and maybe '18 and '19 have one piece extruded I beams made in USA. There is 2X2 steel tube welded to the bottom of the I beams from the forward spring mount all the way to the rear of the trailer. This gives the suspension a lift but I also think it helps support the large overhang of the trailer at the rear. The suspension now comes with wet bolts and bronze bushings rather than the cheap plastic bushings my '17 was delivered with. They were toast upon delivery. Dexter axles instead of the lipperts in '17. Had to replace both Lipperts on the '17, hope the Dexters are an improvement. Everything underneath is just more shipshape and sealed up than the '17 was. The main drain pipe is now outside of the coroplast giving it more fall front to rear. The tanks drain with alacrity! This was probably accomplished due to the fact that the trailer now sits about three inches higher than the '17 did. The coroplast now runs with the open cells running lengthwise. This keeps water out of the open cells when they were at the sides, and will make it easier to drop a side to access the under belly. A small thing but I think it's an improvement.

A Winegard 360 tv antenna replaces the King Jack. Not sure it's any better or worse than the KJ, I suspect the Winegard won't pull as many stations. I like that there's no hole through the roof into the bedroom for adjustments.

There is now solar wiring from the battery area to the roof where there is a small junction box.

There is now a 120v outlet on the exterior, curb side on the dining slide.

There are now 5 circuit breakers under the tongue area where my '17 had two. They are neatly mounted to a small panel. No more overloaded wirenuts here or in the junction box. Wago lever style connectors are used.

That's all I can think of. Hope it helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a December 2019 build. I can confirm the addition of the Goodyear tires. Our unit also has a smart Roku television. The biggest surprise was the addition of the LED taillights. When we ordered in early November 2019, the 315 on the lot was a September '19 build with incandescent lights for the taillights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Hi Bruce. I had a 2017 and now have a 2020 315RLTS. I'll try to list the differences off the top of my head.
    Exterior color and graphics changed. White body with dark graphics. The nose is dark instead of the white on the'17. The look is different but for us it's a push. Both look good to me.

Interior décor is called "pebble". It's much lighter than the cappuccino. From pictures We thought we wouldn't like it. In person we much prefer it. The trailer feels much brighter and airy. With the old décor I'd have lighting on during the day.

They added a window over the stove. This makes a bigger difference than it seems it would. I always thought the lack of a window on that side of the trailer was a mistake.

Roll up room darkening shades.

Removable vented panel on the front of the hutch. Now you have easy access to the furnace, converter and wiring. Helps with excess heat in the hutch. This change was made in '18 MY. Thermostat and fan control moved out from under the cabinets. Makes thermostat more accurate and now you don't have to bend over to see the fan controls.

Hutch has "tile" backsplash. I'm on the fence here. The electrical outlets were moved to the bottom of the cabinets. Not a fan of this.

Tank heaters have been added.

Wood door trim on refer matches cabinets. Looks good but that took away a place for our refrigerator magnets.

Coleman A/C units replace the Dometics. They are quieter than the Dometics by quite a bit.

The fire escape window is now a real hinged fire escape giving you the whole window space to get out. The '17 you had to open the window and wriggle through half the space.

Sliding barn door on the bedroom. Looks nice but not sure it's an improvement functionally.

Solid window treatments instead of cloth.

Bench seat with storage at the dinette w/ freestanding table.

Overall we really love the new interior and prefer it to the cappuccino. YMMV.

Outside, along with the 16 inch wheels, GD is now putting Goodyear Endurance tires on, at least that's what I've read. Big upgrade IMHO over the Westlakes that are on our Aug build.

Frame. The frame rails on my '17 were fabricated I beams, ie: three pieces welded together. The '20 and maybe '18 and '19 have one piece extruded I beams made in USA. There is 2X2 steel tube welded to the bottom of the I beams from the forward spring mount all the way to the rear of the trailer. This gives the suspension a lift but I also think it helps support the large overhang of the trailer at the rear. The suspension now comes with wet bolts and bronze bushings rather than the cheap plastic bushings my '17 was delivered with. They were toast upon delivery. Dexter axles instead of the lipperts in '17. Had to replace both Lipperts on the '17, hope the Dexters are an improvement. Everything underneath is just more shipshape and sealed up than the '17 was. The main drain pipe is now outside of the coroplast giving it more fall front to rear. The tanks drain with alacrity! This was probably accomplished due to the fact that the trailer now sits about three inches higher than the '17 did. The coroplast now runs with the open cells running lengthwise. This keeps water out of the open cells when they were at the sides, and will make it easier to drop a side to access the under belly. A small thing but I think it's an improvement.

A Winegard 360 tv antenna replaces the King Jack. Not sure it's any better or worse than the KJ, I suspect the Winegard won't pull as many stations. I like that there's no hole through the roof into the bedroom for adjustments.

There is now solar wiring from the battery area to the roof where there is a small junction box.

There is now a 120v outlet on the exterior, curb side on the dining slide.

There are now 5 circuit breakers under the tongue area where my '17 had two. They are neatly mounted to a small panel. No more overloaded wirenuts here or in the junction box. Wago lever style connectors are used.

That's all I can think of. Hope it helps.
    As Usual you are a a wonder!!! Thanks so much. Now I know what to look for. I'm not sure the reasoning behind adding tank heaters. I thought we were heated in the belly anyway? We'll see just how motivated they are to sell a new one. If I don't get a new one, I'm getting ready to let some moths out of the wallet and change out the suspension and get new rubber on the old 315. I've done so many of your suggested MODs, I would almost hate seeing the girl go just for those reasons alone. BTW how are you doing? have you been able to back and rub some rubber off on the asphalt? It is great to see you on the Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by branog View Post
    We have a December 2019 build. I can confirm the addition of the Goodyear tires. Our unit also has a smart Roku television. The biggest surprise was the addition of the LED taillights. When we ordered in early November 2019, the 315 on the lot was a September '19 build with incandescent lights for the taillights.
    Thanks for the info. I'll be looking.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are nice upgrades, especially the tires!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bollyb View Post
    As Usual you are a a wonder!!! Thanks so much. Now I know what to look for. I'm not sure the reasoning behind adding tank heaters. I thought we were heated in the belly anyway? We'll see just how motivated they are to sell a new one. If I don't get a new one, I'm getting ready to let some moths out of the wallet and change out the suspension and get new rubber on the old 315. I've done so many of your suggested MODs, I would almost hate seeing the girl go just for those reasons alone. BTW how are you doing? have you been able to back and rub some rubber off on the asphalt? It is great to see you on the Forums
    Haven't been able to get out there yet. We might go next week if I can shake this cold!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We took a Reflection 337 tour in December, at the beginning of the tour you could see the Good Year Tires then about half way down the line you could see the change to LED lights from incandescent. .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a 2020 315rlts and mine still has Westlakes was going to change them out after 1st yr

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waynehurley5 View Post
    I purchased a 2020 315rlts and mine still has Westlakes was going to change them out after 1st yr

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    We have an early 2020 build. It still has the crappy teflon bushings and cheap equalizer, but it does have the wet bolts. It still has the Westlakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast