Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

On Board Generator Question

Hello all, my wife and I are considering a 2015 Reflection 337RLS . One of our wants is to add an on board generator. We have always carried 2 Honda 2000 units and even had a special rack built on our current 5th to carry them but we think an on board unit would be much more convenient. We travel throughout the year and have a small dog and will leave her in the unit when we stop to sight see and it would just be so much easier to fire the on board gen to operate the A/C, etc. We also camp in spots with no hook ups frequently.

My question is if any current GD owners had generators installed and, if so, maybe get some feedback on how well they work especially are they fairly quiet inside the trailer when they are running? Do they rattle or vibrate the trailer much?

Thanks for your input!

Paul

PS. would anyone have input as to the most appropriate model or watts?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I follow up question would also be, gas or propane?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that most toy haulers come equipped with the Cummins Onan 5500 generator. This is gas generator, but my toy hauler has on board fuel tanks. I think Onan has a propane model as well. I haven't had issues with mine, and it is nice to have onboard power while traveling.
    Stephen & Nikki

2013 Ford F-250 SRW w/Firestone Ride Rite Airbags, B&W Companion Hitch,
    Titan XXL 50 Gallon Mid-Ship Fuel Tank and Viair Onboard Air.
    2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2009 Club Car Golf Cart
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Onan does make LP versions. That is what would have to be installed to use the onboard LP.

I can tell you that you will like using the small portable units after i quote you how much it is to install in a unit that does not have the prep for it....

Last Solitude I quoted to have an Onan LP gen set installed was almost $7000 with labor. You don't have the transfer switch, you don't have the controls in the coach, you don't have the support or hook ups for the gen set in the front compartment.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an Onan Marquis 6.5 KW generator, it burned 5 gallons of propane every 8 hours

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Onan does make LP versions. That is what would have to be installed to use the onboard LP.

I can tell you that you will like using the small portable units after i quote you how much it is to install in a unit that does not have the prep for it....

Last Solitude I quoted to have an Onan LP gen set installed was almost $7000 with labor. You don't have the transfer switch, you don't have the controls in the coach, you don't have the support or hook ups for the gen set in the front compartment.
    Damn, I thought I read that all of these came with the generator prep ready to go! I already have the 2 small (2000W) Hondas and just spent over a grand having a custom mount welded to the back of my current 5th. It is just such a PIA when on the road. They are absolutely fine if we're camping someplace for more than a few days but traveling and only stopping for a night or even 2 is a pain. We will be on the road for 4 - 6 months next year and I really wanted to simplify setup and break down.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand as a "generator prep" is that the front compartment can house a onboard generator...after you make all the other necessary modifications. I know my generator was $5600 equipped on the coach from factory.
    Stephen & Nikki

2009 Club Car Golf Cart
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GD350M View Post
    From what I understand as a "generator prep" is that the front compartment can house a onboard generator...after you make all the other necessary modifications. I know my generator was $5600 equipped on the coach from factory.
    I would think the Toy Haulers are all gen prepped! They also mostly run on gas so they can just draw off the fuel pump station, correct?
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost every toy hauler that the wife and I looked at already had the generator installed. My toy hauler had it installed, and he build sheet said it was about $5600 to install that from the factory.
    Stephen & Nikki

2009 Club Car Golf Cart
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know on my last toy hauler, with the gen going and master bedroom just about sitting on top of it. It was not quiet in bedroom. Little less in main cabin but you could tell it was there, running gen and out side of trailer eating , relaxing by door under awning to me to loud. But then again it is a motor mounted in the FW and it is running. On our 385 i opted out on the gen set, for noise issue. Going to shop around and get a quieter set up. If possible. and hope to save a little money. Hootie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast