User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Ok, not the best news. I wonder if they have made any changes to them since 2013? Like most things, they aren't the most horrible, but they could be better.
    Dallas I did read a Ford info sheet somewhere that said for the 2020's the fuel pressure is jacked up to 39000 psi to support the power increase. To do this they had to strengthen the pump body and internals substantially so let's hope for the best! My F450 should be here in a week or so and I'm sure I'll over maintain it like I did the F350.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Dallas I did read a Ford info sheet somewhere that said for the 2020's the fuel pressure is jacked up to 39000 psi to support the power increase.
    Oh man, I am behind the technology curve once again. I have a 2019 F450.... I think just for fun I will tell DW that we need to trade the truck in for a new one because they changed the fuel pump. Now lets see; where did I put that helmet.....
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, I am behind the technology curve once again. I have a 2019 F450.... I think just for fun I will tell DW that we need to trade the truck in for a new one because they changed the fuel pump. Now lets see; where did I put that helmet.....
    Lol good luck man!! This will be the scene outside the Momentum....umm dear wifey on the left!
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All this worry about a fuel pump?
    All 3 truck makers use the same pump. I don't think its a big deal. I have not heard of many and personally no one I know has had a fuel pump failure. IO have purchased fuel in almost all 48 states and have yet to have a problem. I only use Motorcraft cetane and nothing else. If you read in the manual it says that a fuel additive isn't needed or recommended. Do what I did and ask your diesel technician the question. How many failures has he seen?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course you're right Bone, I was just having fun with Dallas. I'm not worried in the least about the fuel pump, life's too short for that. I will continue to use Shell diesel from major stations, Motorcraft oil every 5K, and Motorcraft fuel filters every 10K and sleep well at night. If a problem happens I have all the documentation that I maintained it very well and Ford's ESP or USAA can deal with it.
    Jeff

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea the cp4 fuel pump is not good. It's problem is lubricity. 15ppm sulpher fuel does not provide enough lubricant to the fuel pump. Hard use, fuel with contaminants, all play a factor on it's demise. And when it goes, it typically sends metal into the cylinders destroying them. Now the fun part, Chevy, Ford and Dodge use that fuel pump. I am not gear head enough to tell you all the specific years and models that have used it. But my understanding is that they all have, at some point in time, used the Bosch cp4 fuel pump.

I would really like to know what my new 2019 F450 uses, no information available yet.

So what do we do? Mostly the fuel pump works pretty good so long as there aren't too many contaminates. So step one is to replace the fuel filter often, I change mine every oil change. Yes, that costs me an extra buck or two, but cheaper than a new engine for sure.

Next is fuel quality. I love the guys that say they only buy fuel from reputable places that sell a lot of fuel. They don't go where I go. I often buy fuel from a one horse gas station that may or may not have ever seen a fuel tank inspection. They are the only gas station for a 100 miles.

On my last Chevy I invested in a FAAS fuel filter system, a cool grand. Airdog is another reputable system. I kind of believe in them, what they advertise makes sense to me. I really hated the noise that came from my FAAS system, very annoying. So much so I have been hesitant to put it on my new Ford F450 .

Additives are advertised to help. My research took me to Optilube XPD, but there are lots on the market, and depending on who's advertising you believe your choice is the best one.

So bottom line from my research. The Cp4 pump is an issue. It affects about 25% of engines. There are things you can do to mitigate the poor performance/failure. You must analyze your usage and the amount of risk involved to determine the best course of action for you. Right now, my new Ford, I am doing nothing. Only time will tell if I have chosen the correct path.
    I have 2013 Duramax. Also have FAAS system and use Opti-lube at recommendation ofbdeisel mechanics. Not gonna worry about it now. Fuel is very clean now and plenty of lubricity.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2013 Chevrolet Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...el/1943084001/

The attached link addresses the class action lawsuit on the GM Duramax. Hope this helps.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have same truck now with 120k miles and that has never
    Been a problem. Love the truck.
    2013 Chevy 2500 Silverado Diesel
    2020 3000QB
    Glen,Barbara and
    Dottie O'Doran the Wonder Dog

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip94ta View Post
    My boss bought a 2013 Silverado HD with the duramax. In my own shopping research I came across info on those that said the CP4 can self destruct and cause $10k in damage. I mentioned this to him and he started looking in to it and is a little freaked out. Is there any reputable info or websites out there that you guys would recommend that I point him towards. Like many things the internet seems to make this issue overblown, I’ve told him that but he’s still worried.

I know there’s a lot more reliable duramax’s out there than blown up ones. I told him I’d recommend atleast using an additive like diesel kleen.
    Here is a link for your. And yes I have heard the same, though my Duramax is a 2019 3500 LTZ. The older trucks also have an issue with the lift pump and it is a combination of the two, GM change to the CP4 to save money and from what i have read and seen on TV. Lack of lubricate from fuel pump on startup and cheep bearings in CP4 pump. There is a Trucks episode dedicated to just such an issue. Though I could not find it on their web site for you. I did remember whos product they used it is the link below. also I found this other link that your friend might find informative.
    Hope this helps
    Paul

https://www.xtremediesel.com/gm-2011...pumps-upgrades

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/eng...on-pump-to-cp3

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oNLY ADDITIVE I USE IS LUCAS UPPER CYLINDER LUBRICANT, COUPLE OF GLUGS WHEN I FILL UP. mY MECHANIC SAID IT COULD NOT HURT...NO ENGINE OR FUEL PUMP PROBLEMS SO FAR.
    2013 Chevy 2500 Silverado Diesel
    2020 3000QB
    Glen,Barbara and
    Dottie O'Doran the Wonder Dog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast