User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.trailerlife.com/tech/qa/january-2020/

Came across this article in Trailer Life Magazine. Hope it offers additional insight to your concern.

I was not aware this was used in so many applications, including the current Ram eco-diesel and Ford Powerstroke. Unfortunately clean fuel, filters and additives don't seem to cure this ailment.

Good luck, Jim

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And a ton of VW’s.

It was that trailer life article that reminded me to talk to him about it. He’s going to install a FASS lift pump and maybe the screen. And use additives.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another very good source if you are concerned about CP4 failures. This one has a thread devoted to the CP4 pump.
    https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/

I had a 2015 Silverado with the CP4 - loved the truck, but was concerned about getting stuck while out on a long trip. I traded it for a 2019 Sierra Denali Duramax.
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Fireside Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2016 GMC 3500 engine quit. The GMC dealer in Grand Junction told me that there was metal in the fuel lines and that the turbo was not working correctly. $16,000 to repair and the parts not available until late August...4 weeks from now. I understand there is a class action suit against GM for this issue. I am not one to jump on class action suits but if this is a common problem then maybe I will. Does anyone else have this issue?
    2017 Solitude 310GK; 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton; Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brougherc View Post
    My 2016 GMC 3500 engine quit. The GMC dealer in Grand Junction told me that there was metal in the fuel lines and that the turbo was not working correctly. $16,000 to repair and the parts not available until late August...4 weeks from now. I understand there is a class action suit against GM for this issue. I am not one to jump on class action suits but if this is a common problem then maybe I will. Does anyone else have this issue?
    The Bosch CP4 fuel pump has a reputation for failing and spreading metal throughout the fuel lines which requires complete replacement of the fuel system. I have heard numbers around 10k. The turbo issue is something separate, a CP4 failure wont affect the turbo.

Common is a relative term, its not 50% I don't even think its 5% but way more common then it should be. GM stopped using the pump in 2017, Ram had it briefly in '19/'20 I believe and ended up recalling them all and replacing them. Ford still uses it.

Who knows if the lawsuit will go anywhere. Usually the only ones winning those are the lawyers. If I had to have that fixed, I would skip the dealer try and find a diesel shop and have it fixed. I believe that it can be converted to a CP3 pump which has been proven reliable. It is probably cheaper also. The dealer will probably throw another CP4 in and your fight back where you started.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123