User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2013 Silverado 6.6L CP4 question.

My boss bought a 2013 Silverado HD with the duramax. In my own shopping research I came across info on those that said the CP4 can self destruct and cause $10k in damage. I mentioned this to him and he started looking in to it and is a little freaked out. Is there any reputable info or websites out there that you guys would recommend that I point him towards. Like many things the internet seems to make this issue overblown, I’ve told him that but he’s still worried.

I know there’s a lot more reliable duramax’s out there than blown up ones. I told him I’d recommend atleast using an additive like diesel kleen.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several forums for GM trucks and I've seen a few posts where they take a poll on CP4 pump failures (have your boss do a search on that). To summarize - the fuel pumps are OK if you run clean fuel through them from gas stations that sell a lot of fuel. Regular changing of fuel filters also helps. Getting fuel from a can in your grandpa's tool shed isn't a good idea.

Based on all the research I've done, I'd be more concerned about the entire emissions system on that generation of the Duramax. It took all the manufacturers several years to get their diesel engine def/emission systems dialed in. All the new diesel engines are reliable. The early DEF systems? Not so much :-(
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More than just the Duramax use/used the CP4 fuel pump. We pulled a TT and then a fifth wheel with our 2013 GMC Sierra with the Duramax thousands of miles without a single issue. As stated, run clean fuel, keep DEF in the tank, and change the fuel filter(s) on schedule. It's a good motor (and the Allison transmission is awesome). The Silverado/Sierra forums are better sources for this information than here, though.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    More than just the Duramax use/used the CP4 fuel pump.
    Correct. Ford uses it and now Ram is using it on their new model. GM changed to Denso with their 2017 model.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great place to get info https://www.dieselplace.com/index.php
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 344GK
    B&W Companion 25,000
    Disc Brake conversion
    3 - X-Factor
    MORryde pinbox
    2007 GMC Topkick C5500 Duramax 6.6
    1 Wife 3 Scotties

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford has been using CP4 pumps for several years. What you have heard is correct as failure will typically cause metal shavings to go throughout the fuel system ruining the fuel rail, injectors, pump, etc. I am a Ford guy so I only know about them. There is a bypass kit available for Ford’s 6.7L I assume a similar product is available for GM trucks. Try Thoroughbred Diesel online that is where I bought the bypass kit I had installed on my 2011 Ford. Pump failures are somewhat rare and are typically a result of water in the fuel system, accidentally putting gasoline in the fuel tank or accidentally putting DEF in the fuel tank. The lack of lubricity present in the diesel fuel when these foreign liquids pass through the pump causes metal to metal contact of pump components and everything goes downhill from there. The bypass kit is cheap insurance. If the unthinkable happens the pump will still be ruined but replacement of the pump alone is likely 30% of the cost of replacing all of the components of the fuel system.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea the cp4 fuel pump is not good. It's problem is lubricity. 15ppm sulpher fuel does not provide enough lubricant to the fuel pump. Hard use, fuel with contaminants, all play a factor on it's demise. And when it goes, it typically sends metal into the cylinders destroying them. Now the fun part, Chevy, Ford and Dodge use that fuel pump. I am not gear head enough to tell you all the specific years and models that have used it. But my understanding is that they all have, at some point in time, used the Bosch cp4 fuel pump.

I would really like to know what my new 2019 F450 uses, no information available yet.

So what do we do? Mostly the fuel pump works pretty good so long as there aren't too many contaminates. So step one is to replace the fuel filter often, I change mine every oil change. Yes, that costs me an extra buck or two, but cheaper than a new engine for sure.

Next is fuel quality. I love the guys that say they only buy fuel from reputable places that sell a lot of fuel. They don't go where I go. I often buy fuel from a one horse gas station that may or may not have ever seen a fuel tank inspection. They are the only gas station for a 100 miles.

On my last Chevy I invested in a FAAS fuel filter system, a cool grand. Airdog is another reputable system. I kind of believe in them, what they advertise makes sense to me. I really hated the noise that came from my FAAS system, very annoying. So much so I have been hesitant to put it on my new Ford F450 .

Additives are advertised to help. My research took me to Optilube XPD, but there are lots on the market, and depending on who's advertising you believe your choice is the best one.

So bottom line from my research. The Cp4 pump is an issue. It affects about 25% of engines. There are things you can do to mitigate the poor performance/failure. You must analyze your usage and the amount of risk involved to determine the best course of action for you. Right now, my new Ford, I am doing nothing. Only time will tell if I have chosen the correct path.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I would really like to know what my new 2019 F450 uses...
    Your truck has a Bosch CP4 fuel pump. The 2020 Ford uses them as well as the new Ram. GM used them through the 2016 model year but now they use pumps made by Denso.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting stuff. I was aware that the other brands used the CP4 or CP4.2(2016-17?) I’m not sure that the 4.2 is any more durable. I did read that the Fords came with a lift pump and a second fuel filter, is that true?

He buys his diesel at a speedway. I’m not sure how good that is.

Oddly we have another car guy at work who is into VWs. He said they hate them as well and maybe guys do the CP3 swap.

Thanks for the diesel place link, I’ll poke around in there.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Your truck has a Bosch CP4 fuel pump.
    Ok, not the best news. I wonder if they have made any changes to them since 2013? Like most things, they aren't the most horrible, but they could be better.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast