User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to diesels and cold weather ops

Hi all – This is my first winter with a diesel truck. I haven’t been driving it much since the trailer hasn’t arrived yet. Due to this mild winter here in southern New England, I’m mostly able to avoid cold weather driving EXCEPT for this upcoming weekend day trip where the temps are expected to range from the teens to high 20’s where I need to go. Couple questions:

I last filled the tank in mid-January. How do I know this had the “winter blend” which is rumored to lower the temp when gelling starts? I got the fuel at a busy Shell station.

Should I really look into fuel additives to prevent gelling?

Am I overreacting and maybe it's not cold enough to worry about it?

Thanks!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I've had my my truck since Nov. 2015 so 5 winters here in the Spokane Valley. In our area they start selling winter diesel at the beginning of Oct. through March. When It gets into the low teens I plug my truck in overnight (the first year I didn't have a block heater). That's about it. We get about a week of single digits here every year and so far no problems yet.

HTH,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly I think you are ok. But cheap insurance is fuel additive you can buy about anywhere. $20 dump it in. Search for your block heater connection. A regular 120v plug, kind of overkill 32-10f, single digit to subzero it pays for itself. Your engine is just happier if you plug it in.

Next oil change have the fuel filters replaced also, cheap insurance.

It's not a huge end of time thing, just one of those maintenance things you take care of as you go along.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a worrier that travels from warm to cold once or twice a year. I use the additive. The Ford additive is $9 to treat 100 or 125 gallons (don't recall). Thus far I haven't had any issues down to -6F (overnight, outside, unplugged). Your fuel is likely fine, but if you're worried the additive is pretty cheap.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do use the Motorcraft additives. PM23 for winter and PM22 for warm months. I agree with others that in your market winter fuel was sold way before January. Others may differ in opinion here and I am sure may weigh in, however, I believe you need to drive your truck regularly to keep it “healthy”. Diesels typically don’t respond well to extended periods of park time. Starting them and letting them run in the driveway occasionally is not really effective as the truck won’t get up to normal operating temperature. Driving is the best medicine and if some interstate time and towing are part of that its even better. These trucks are built for towing and work they tend to respond well if you use them and are diligent with preventive maintenance. I also agree with regular changing of the fuel filters I have mine changed every 15000 miles and change the engine air filter at each oil change. I also do service intervals at 5000 miles even though on the Ford app it says my truck’s service interval is 10000 miles.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken in post #2 covered the key points where winter blending starts in late fall through spring in norther climates. The farther north one goes the more extreme the blend allowing operation at colder temperatures. Our fuel in SD is blended down to -10.

Sometime ago I saw a chart of the USA broken into regions where the farther north one goes the more the fuel is blended to address increasing colder temperatures. I could not find that now. Would be interested in seeing that again.

To the OP - trusting you filled with winter blend from your region with little or no summer fuel, you will be fine. We have drive in -15 temps with no problems with our -10 blended fuel. If it gets colder, our area has #1 diesel at many stations and that will handle extreme cold.......I do not recall how cold. Our fire department uses this #1 fuel in the winter to be prepared for the worst.

I have never used additives.....in fact our Owners Manual says to not use them.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post

I last filled the tank in mid-January. How do I know this had the “winter blend” which is rumored to lower the temp when gelling starts? I got the fuel at a busy Shell station.

Should I really look into fuel additives to prevent gelling?

Thanks!
    Here in Wisconsin, the winter blend is usually identified by a foam sleeve or collar placed around the pump hose that says "WINTER BLEND" or something similar. A few stations will just have a placard on the pump that says so. In either case it should be clearly marked.
    I use a fuel additive for other reasons, but it is good to -10F. I also carry some additive that gets me down to -50F just in case.
    Around here the standard winter blend should be good for the teens and 20's. Since I use an additive year round, It doesn't get much thought until the single digits. Today was -9F on my way to work this morning.

My .02 cents worth of opinion:
    As someone else mentioned, I would plug in (where ever reasonably possible) once it gets into the 30's. It's not a critical thing but it sure warms up faster. If you are not plugged in, just give it a few minutes before sending the RPM's too high. Colder = longer. I tend to idle out of the neighborhood and that takes 2 to 3 minutes. If it's colder (like today at -9F) I try and keep it below about 2100 rpm until I show some temperature on the gauge. You will find every diesel owner has their own methods, you'll find something that works for you.
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the comments - very helpful. The truck is kept in an insulated garage which very rarely gets below freezing. Maybe I'll try the block heater just to test it out. And this afternoon I'll look for some PM-23-A to be on the safe side. Thanks again!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the comments - very helpful. The truck is kept in an insulated garage which very rarely gets below freezing. Maybe I'll try the block heater just to test it out. And this afternoon I'll look for some PM-23-A to be on the safe side. Thanks again!
    Funny you mention this......our truck is in our insulated garage and plugged in right now. I only do this when it gets below -10ish outside just to have the truck warm up more quickly when I drive. A warm block thus heater, a little warmer oil, no glow plugs needed at start.......nice.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'll try the block heater just to test it out.
    You may want to check your window sticker to make sure you have an engine block heater, it's an option that has to be ordered. I hunted and hunted for the block heater connection and couldn't find it, finally drove into a Ford dealer and asked the service writer. Took him a minute to find it also, it was tucked way up inside the front bumper on the passenger side just above the tow hooks.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast