User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem Changing TCL TV Channels

I’m having a problem changing the channels with the TCL TV’s remote’s number pad. The remote’s “CH” button works fine by changing the channels one station at a time in sequence; however, when I use the individual keypad numbers, the channel doesn’t change for most of the stations. I know that the desired channel number signal is being received by the TV because it appears on the TV screen in a big blue box when the number is keyed on the remote. The blue box with the keyed number displays on the screen for a couple of seconds, and then the screen goes black and returns to the original station. I’ve tested this in Phoenix and Las Vegas after re-scanning the channels.

I spent a total of about two hours with TCL customer support troubleshooting the problem. They had me do such things as using the menu option to reset to factory defaults and re-scanning the channels. Nothing they tried worked, so over my objection, they sent me a new remote. Of course, the new remote didn’t solve the problem since the TV was clearly receiving the keyed number from the remote, indicating the problem was the TV, not the remote.

Since our 2020 Reflection was still under warranty, I turned the problem over to my dealer, who contacted Grand Design. They promptly shipped a new TV to the dealer, who then installed it. That should have been the end of the story; however, the new TV has exactly the same issue.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what was the resolution?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the station you’re trying to enter a substation? Example: You enter 3 for channel 3 but you may be trying to connect to channel 3-1, or 3-2, etc.

Just a thought. I’m trying to visualize what you were doing.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @vonzoog:
    When I scanned for OTA channels, I got 90+ in each of those two TV markets, which included 20+ base channels (3.1, 4.1, etc.) and 70+ sub-channels 3.2, 3.3, 4.2, 4.3, etc.). As you know, any remote will only switch to the base channels, whether you use the keypad or the “CH” button. That’s how all remotes work. My problem is that I can’t switch to most of the base channels with the keypad. BTW, I’ve been RVing for 10+ years and this is my third 5er, and I’ve never had this problem before.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJohn View Post
    @vonzoog:
    When I scanned for OTA channels, I got 90+ in each of those two TV markets, which included 20+ base channels (3.1, 4.1, etc.) and 70+ sub-channels 3.2, 3.3, 4.2, 4.3, etc.). As you know, any remote will only switch to the base channels, whether you use the keypad or the “CH” button. That’s how all remotes work. My problem is that I can’t switch to most of the base channels with the keypad. BTW, I’ve been RVing for 10+ years and this is my third 5er, and I’ve never had this problem before.
    All of my TVs, two Sharps, an LG and a Sony require the sub channel as well or they don’t do anything.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CatusJim,

My Momentum has 3 separate TCL TV installed from the factory. I personally don't care for the remote because it seems a little "buggy" to me. However, I have to agree with jkwilson above. On all three TCL TVs and their individual remotes you have to punch in the entire number to get a station. Ex: You must punch in "3" + "." + "1" if you want station 3.1.

On the TCL's if you punch in a number for a certain channel the number appears in a blue box (you can't miss it) and then, after a short pause, the channel will come on. If that channel is not in range for reception, then the TV will revert back to the channel you were on when you try to change the channel. Are you using the "." key on your remote key pad? It's located at the bottom left corner of the key pad.

I just when out to my RV to make sure that is the way mine works. Maybe I am not understanding you problem correctly. Something else that I thought of. By any chance is there a firmware update for your particular TV? That is the only other thing I can think of.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something else comes to mine. When you do auto scan the TV can and will pick up stations that are giving out a very weak signal. Even though it scans a weak channel and logs into you saved channels, you may not get the channel to come on the TV because the signal is too weak for reception. I have had stations like this many times in many different locations across the county. EX: the channel will not work in the morning and then come in great later that evening or by tweaking the antenna for that particular station.

My very expensive Sony Bravo Master Series OLED that I have in the house acts the same way. Only it tells me the signal is weak when the reception will not come in.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem solved! You guys did what the TCL support team couldn’t accomplish in 2 hours on the phone, i.e., show me what I was doing wrong!

I had never noticed the “.” key on the remote. I was just keying a “3” to go to channel 3.1, instead of keying 3.1. That method had always worked on my previous TV’s, and it worked on the TCL for several of the stations.

Thanks again!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJohn View Post
    Problem solved! You guys did what the TCL support team couldn’t accomplish in 2 hours on the phone, i.e., show me what I was doing wrong!

I had never noticed the “.” key on the remote. I was just keying a “3” to go to channel 3.1, instead of keying 3.1. That method had always worked on my previous TV’s, and it worked on the TCL for several of the stations.

Thanks again!
    Cool! Cheap, easy fixes are the best kind.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana