User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost a crappy day (I'd rather be lucky than good)

Well, among everything else going on right now I guess another one from me fits right in......

In order to be able to dump my black tank into my "big house" septic, I have to overcome a 4 foot rise to get into a line to the septic tank. After reading much about the macerator and watching some videos, I elected for a DIY solution. I picked up a 1.25 HP garbage disposal from Costco, and a 1 HP pump trash grade pump from Lowes and a variety of PVC and regular fittings and hoses. In order to dump, I have to connect a Intimidator hose the gate valve, open the black tank valve, turn on the parts and let nature take it's course, then use the front gray tank to flush. Once I have the lines cleared of black water, I close the gate valve and immediately crack open the intimidator filling and then let the suction clear the line, turn off the system and put a cap on the hose. I then hook up the long hose and drain the remainder to the pasture. That's not exactly how today went. I opened the valves and started the system. Then I realized that the long hose was still connected, so I tried a quick hose change after closing the gate valve. The problem started when I also twisted off the gate valve with the tank valve still open, so now it gets interesting. Naturally everything takes longer when you are hurrying and haven't practiced this. Then I noticed that the odor wasn't what I expected and it seemed to clear. Seems that when I initially opened the gate valve, I opened the gray rather than the black tank.

Another old quote being " I'd rather be shot at and missed than (self edit) at and hit". Luckily I have been both, including this one. Believe you me, after this week, having to work all weekend and being one short is a relief and gives me a chance to chill put a little bit.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That could have taken a whole different direction, you got off somewhat lucky. That could have turned into a real crappy time!

Curious tho, was it significanly cheaper getting all those parts then getting the macerator?
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two of my favorite quotes... and perfectly applicable too! I’m glad it was only a near miss.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The disposal is an American Standard that Costco sells for $99. The pump was a $129 pump that got returned and the guy said it was bigger than what he needed. I offered them $90 and they took it. The PVC is cheap and the more costly parts were the two unions and check valve. I about $225 in it all together and everything but the PVC can be repurposed (depending on the new purpose).
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I thought my life was tough...

I actually had never heard that quote before but I like it.

Thanks for sharing... And being able to laugh about it.