User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you could run a few oil filled heaters. Small one under neath and another in the main cabin?
    Low draw and heat well.

I have 1 for my garage and it keeps it 70 degrees and it has fail safes built in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab Patriot bus
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicNevs View Post
    Maybe you could run a few oil filled heaters. Small one under neath and another in the main cabin?
    Low draw and heat well. I have 1 for my garage and it keeps it 70 degrees and it has fail safes built in. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you mean the oil-filled radiator type of heaters? Aren’t they usually 120V appliances? Or do you mean something else?
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Do you mean the oil-filled radiator type of heaters? Aren’t they usually 120V appliances? Or do you mean something else?
    You might be right. Unless you had an inverter which is doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab Patriot bus
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember where I saw these recently but there are propane auto shutoff valves that you install in line at the propane tanks. If it detects a sudden and large propane loss it automatically shuts off the propane. Let's say you have a tire blowout and the flapping tire breaks your propane line then it would automatically shut off the propane at the tanks. Seems like it would be something reasonable to get if you travel with the propane on.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to travel with the refrigerator on. However, after RV maint. tech school I no longer do that. If everything is pre-cooled before it's put in the refrigerator and you keep the refer door closed it will stay cold until you get to that day's destination.

Fast forward a couple of years of full time living and traveling all over this country.....we have passed three RV fires on the side of the road. In Quartzsite a year ago I was introduced to Proteng automatic RV fire suppression. After having it installed in my rig I ended up going to work for Proteng. I now do an RV Fire Safety presentation all all of the Grand Design Rallies all over the west (and as far east as Missouri and I attended the national rally in Goshen, Indiana last year) and I introduce Proteng and do a live demonstration.

Traveling with your propane on is an additional fire risk. If your rig should incur a fire while going down the road or parked somewhere and your propane is on, it's tantamount to pouring gas on the fire. The system is designed to shut off if there's a sudden release of propane however, that system has a high failure rate.

So while many people have done it for years without any issues, many others wish they had never done it. It is a known risk and you roll the dice with your decision.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	76258126_2376938362435181_3221595182784839680_o.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	24865 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Momentum Fire.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	24866 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75649372_2376938492435168_6272591537268326400_o.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	24867
    Last edited by JCZhome; 02-15-2020 at 06:42 AM.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried this 2 weeks ago while travelling through 8 deg. in Montana. I first tested by turning on the furnace and driving to the next exit, then checked, it was working. I left it on, drove for a couple of hours and when I stopped air was blowing but the furnace flame was out. I restarted it, drove more and it was out again. I'm guessing that the wind going past the outside vent would either blow or pull the flame out. I have a 2018 Reflection 315rlts

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do this all the time. However it is very important that you remember to turn it off before you drive up to gas pumps. A guy blew up a gas station and a camper in Frisco CO a few years ago because he left a pilot light burning when he pulled up to a gas pump.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Not ridiculously stupid at all. As others have said it can be done. Just know that there are plenty of people - including some authorities who can give you tickets - who say that propane should be turned off when traveling. Some of the laws relate to operating propane devices near fuel pumps, probably for very good reason. However there are lots of people who ignore the laws without blowing up themselves or anyone else.
    The only time I turn off my propane is in tunnels with signs and ferries. There are no laws that prohibit propane to be on when traveling-- run my refer on propane when I drive.
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

2016 Grand Design Solitude 321 RL #5754
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    I used to travel with the refrigerator on. However, after RV maint. tech school I no longer do that. If everything is pre-cooled before it's put in the refrigerator and you keep the refer door closed it will stay cold until you get to that day's destination.

I have to disagree with this comment. There's been a couple of refrigerator tests done regarding how long the food remains safe in a fridge that's not running. Well worth the reading:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...812#post179812

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    I have to disagree with this comment. There's been a couple of refrigerator tests done regarding how long the food remains safe in a fridge that's not running. Well worth the reading:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...812#post179812
    Hasn't been an issue while traveling back and forth across this country. Just leave the refer closed and you'll be fine.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast