User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add note: trying to keep it simple, today I simply removed the spare and the spare mounting hardware and put in in the bed of my TV, plenty of room and now I have a clean bumper to figure out which bike rack make/model to use. I’ll keep in mind the 300lb limit but the bike in question can’t be more than 40 lbs so it’s seems I’m plenty safe, as long as the mounting device is strong and dependable. I’m still considering the BAL under mount option but not excited about drilling holes in the I beam, removing part of the underbelly insulation, etc that I’m reading about. Not sure the “juice is worth the squeeze”. Tks for all the inputs.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our 2650 there is a 2" square tube welded to the underside of the frame rails. This is where the spring shackles and equalizer are attached to. The 2" tube extended past the rear wheels far enough to mount the Hide a Spare without drilling the I-beam frame itself. I used the "wrong" Hide a Spare, using the one for the "C" channel frame since I didn't need the offset. I used four 3/8" self tapping bolts to hold the Hide a Spare on. It wasn't bad, the hardest part was doing the measurements to ensure adequate clearance between the spare tire and underbelly. I had to go behind the axles because the sewer dump outlet was in the way ahead of the axles.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem solved (duh) removed they spare and it’s holder. Will simply carry the spare in the bed of my TV where luckily I have the extra room.
    This should give me plenty of safety installing a simple one bike carrier and my 30 lb bike. Thanks to all for your input.
    PS I’m keeping the idea of a single BAL under carrier for later as a backup plan.
    Whoops- just realized I’d already made my final post on this topic, above. TY
    Last edited by Schiefswret; 02-27-2020 at 06:38 PM.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They make 4" bumper supports that you can purchase online through Amazon Mount-n-Lock SafetyStruts Prevent RV Bumper Failure TM (SSN-Standard, Black) that I would recommend installing prior to installing the bike rack. The welds from the frame to the bumper are known to crack under load. Also, you may want to do some research on bike racks. There are some that are specifically rated for installing on RV bumpers due to the amount of bouncing that go's on back there. IMHO.
    Chuck & Robin, LuLu and Georgie
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    2019 2670MK
    5.7 Toyota Tundra TRD with Towing Package
    TRD sway bar & Firestone air bags

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great info, thank you!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12