User Tag List

Thread: Lug nuts

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lug nuts

I had the wheels off this week to grease the bearings and noticed on about all of the lug nuts the covers are cracked, mostly at the base. Last summer I saw only a few so I imagine road stress and removal / install is taking a toll. This is happening pretty quickly. I have experience with several Ford vehicles over the years that have a similar application. The Ford lug nut covers are heavier though. In time the covers swell and deform so that a socket or lug wrench won't fit over them. Mechanics with impact drivers hasten this. The only way to get them off if they have swollen is get a socket that starts over them and beat it on then remove and replace. A lot of the time the socket along with the lug nuts are throw aways.
    On my F150 I have replaced the lug nuts with Gorilla Automotive nuts. They are quality lug nuts and they are inexpensive but chrome plated which will chip and rust in time.
    So I did a search and came across these for my 5W this morning. They are 304 stainless steel, resistant to rusting and strong. I've ordered a set to replace the ones on there now.
    https://www.amazon.com/eCustomRim-Tw...09368584&psc=1
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link, I just had the lug nuts replaced on my wife's car (under warranty) for the swelling condition. I will be ordering these foe my camper. Not a fan or the design with the cover.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stainless steel will make aluminum corrode when in contact.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to torque my lug nuts yesterday and the first one felt really loose...turns out the casing spun on the nut, crappy fake SS nuts.
    Then the socket got stuck!
    Long story short, I have no idea what that nut is torqued to now and after getting the socket off finally, I could not remove the casing.
    Looks like a Monday tow to a tire shop. I wonder if I go to the local dealer they will fix me on the spot, hahaha!
    Looks like new nuts are on the list here also.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a smaller 6 point socket and hammer it on. Then you can turn it off and replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David And Donna - Rochester NY
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Cummins DRW
    2017 Grand Design 350M Momentum M-Class, Morryde Independent Suspension, 8K axles, Morryde Rubber Pin Box, TST510 tire monitor

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I thought of that, but we are leaving this morning...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure Gorilla makes lugnuts that would fit.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK