User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by av8er79 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. JCZ did you have have airbags on your F-350 DRW? Boyscout what do you mean by a proper truck horn? And I can see how the legalities are left to be interpreted but I am willing to take that chance if it stops someone from cutting me off or allows me to get someones attention to avoid an accident. I assume thats why tractor trailer horns are louder than consumer trucks.

Yes, I had Air Lift on my dually. And with the remote...if you get on one of those roads that has a lot of chucking you can add 10 lbs. of air or let 10 lbs. of air out to smooth out the ride with the 5th wheel. Adjustable on the fly as the road dictates is what I'm talking about!

A train horn may be fun at the mud boggs in the south but you can't use it on a public street. If you do, you run the risk of the law hearing and seeing you long before you see them. A train horn would not be a safety feature.....more than likely a hazard that just says "look at me". If they're close enough that you need to use a horn they're going to hear the F-350 horn.
    Last edited by JCZhome; 02-16-2020 at 08:03 AM.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boyscout what do you mean by a proper truck horn?
    Sorry, I don’t remember what was installed. I had the work done at a place that services heavy trucks, and took their recommendation of a horn that they’d install on one of those. It’s a single horn about (IIRC) 10” in length, mounted under the vehicle. It added about $80 to the cost of the job, which was primarily to get onboard air for tires and for winterizing - that’s VERY handy to have. I haven’t used the horn often, but I’d guess it’s legal to do so as it is on other trucks.

I have NOT added airbags, thinking I’d rather get a different truck first. However if I keep this one I’ll add them - our truck bucks like a rodeo bronco over bad bridge transitions and other bits of rough road.
    Last edited by boyscout; 02-16-2020 at 09:57 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where the heck are my replies?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Where the heck are my replies?
    Sorry, itsbob. Not sure what went on there. I think you're threads were seen a duplicates. I had them undeleted.

I sent you a PM too.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to have train horns on my truck. Plenty of stupid drivers here in Ca. BUT would be my luck i would blow that horn and some guy would die of a hart attack.
    Have you ever heard a train horn when you don't expect to hear one. Scares the crap out of you. Be my luck a cop would hear me and impound my truck.
    get air bags instead. No cops involved. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get air bags instead. No cops involved. YET.
    2020 Solitude 375 RES
    Tow Vehicle 2017 F-450 Lariat 4X4 Crew Cab Long Bed FX4 6.7 Diesel Titanium White Tri Coat
    To truly know what a man is, give him authority
    Best way to get back on your feet is to get off your ******
    God, Guns, Guts, made America free, lets keep all three

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm looking into getting a train horn kit with onboard compressor. It will allow me to get folks attention, have onboard air for various tasks, and possibly add airbags down the road. Most the kits on Amazon look like junk, while the dedicated websites seem to be quite expensive. I'm looking for something moderately priced around 300 bucks. Any suggestions?
    Boyscout is correct. Ger a real Vair (amazon link is a copy cat) To save $$ find a truck junk yard an get a set of truck air horns, with the electric valve. (they are DOT street legal) I plumed my truck to have a spare air port out back and at the air pump that I mounted in the corner of the bed. It can be a fun project. Get a good SS tank (look for long and skinny if mounting under the truck).

Its amazing what a little tap on the horn will do for distracted drivers and cell phone zombies. PS it best not to blast the Starbucks zombies - can cause a big mess.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

https://smile.amazon.com/Hadley-Horn...4034063&sr=8-2

$295

Street legal.

Train horns are not.

I wired mine with a relay - load wire to battery, relay wire spliced into stock horn load wire.

That way, I can get a short beep from the stock horn for about 1/4 second before the air horns kick in.

Great way to give quick warning "blips" when "The Voice Of God" is not necessary.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12