User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Train Horn Kit with onboard compressor

I'm looking into getting a train horn kit with onboard compressor. It will allow me to get folks attention, have onboard air for various tasks, and possibly add airbags down the road. Most the kits on Amazon look like junk, while the dedicated websites seem to be quite expensive. I'm looking for something moderately priced around 300 bucks. Any suggestions?

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest putting that $300 towards Air Lift with remote first.....
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by av8er79 View Post
    I'm looking into getting a train horn kit with onboard compressor. It will allow me to get folks attention, have onboard air for various tasks, and possibly add airbags down the road. Most the kits on Amazon look like junk, while the dedicated websites seem to be quite expensive. I'm looking for something moderately priced around 300 bucks. Any suggestions?
    Sorry, I know that some people don’t have a choice about setting an arbitrary budget and trying to find a system that falls within their budget. However if you have a choice, IMO you’re setting yourself up for disappointment and trouble with the budget you’ve set.

The air pump of choice for a whole lot of light-duty uses in the RV world is one from a company called VIAIR. They have lots of choices, one of which will meet your requirements for maximum pressure (has to be rated for MORE than enough to fill your tires to required pressure) and duty cycle. The pump alone will consume roughly 2/3 of your budget!

You’ll need a tank, probably about two gallons for typical usage; those long angry blasts of the horn but more important the filling of tires and the blowing of plumbing lines when winterizing.

You’ll need a horn or horns. I opted for a proper truck horn rather than one of the many “train horn” kits around, some of which may SOUND something like a train horn but don’t have nearly the volume of one. Besides, in my unscientific opinion a loud semi horn will engender a more-immediate reaction on the road than the less-familiar sound of a muted train horn.

You’ll need air lines installed on your truck; a line to an external fitting so you can use the air for tires, etc., plus a line to the tank, plus a line to your horn. You’ll need a way - manual or automatic - to release the moisture that will build up in the air tank. And you’ll need an air hose, regulator (for blowing out plumbing), and a tire-filler gauge and valve.

You’ll need wiring and a switch or switches (if you don’t have upfitter switches in your truck) to turn the pump on and off (most are NOT rated to run constantly) and to activate the horn.

As @JCZhome suggested, since you’re already buying 1/2 or 2/3 of the system you need for air bags, you may want to add air bags and associated lines and wiring too.

Plus, if you’re not doing it yourself you have to pay someone to install all of this stuff... 3-6 hours or more.

So, sorry, but your budget isn’t even close to what you need for a reliable and trouble-free system, if that’s what you’d like to have. You need 2-5 times your budget to do it right.

Good luck with your choices.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alabama Code Title 32: It shall be unlawful for any vehicle to be equipped with or for any person to use upon a vehicle any siren or for any person at any time to use a horn otherwise than as a reasonable warning or to make any unnecessary or unreasonably loud or harsh sound by means of a horn or other warning device.

What a state trooper or local cop might consider "unreasonably loud or harsh" may vary...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably illegal in many/most states. It is in Virginia.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by av8er79 View Post
    Viair kit on Amazon.. compressor 2.5 gallon tank.. works great for airhorns airbags and inflator for truck and RV TIRES.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001F...b_b_asin_title

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EV...b_b_asin_title

Horns I used. Had them separated from the OEM horn..

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advice. JCZ did you have have airbags on your F-350 DRW? Boyscout what do you mean by a proper truck horn? And I can see how the legalities are left to be interpreted but I am willing to take that chance if it stops someone from cutting me off or allows me to get someones attention to avoid an accident. I assume thats why tractor trailer horns are louder than consumer trucks.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    I would suggest putting that $300 towards Air Lift with remote first.....
    I agree. The air bags are far more practical. Personally I would not invest in the aftermarket air horns. We have the Air Lift 5000 Ultimate + (stainless plates/hardware, steel braided hoses) with the less expensive of the two available remotes. I think it was around $1,400.00 installed by an Air Lift authorized installer.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RVrunners, I have a DRW 3500 Ram similar to your Ford. I have not hooked up to this truck yet and was not expecting it to squat enough to justify airbags. So is the main reason that one would install them on a truck such as ours is mainly to improve the ride when loaded?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast