User Tag List

Thread: Electric awning

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electric awning

We've been Rving for 20+ years. We just purchased a 2020 Solitude Fifth Wheel Model: ST382WB-R-2020
    Our carri lite had a manual awning. We are currently staying in Leesburg Florida six months at a time. Our old Rig I used tie downs on the awning and left it open unless we had high wind warnings. My question is, can I tie down the electric style awning as I did the manual awning and expect the same satisfactory results?

Thanks in advance,
    Michael
    Michael & Joy Martinez
    Purchased 02-14-2020 - 2020 Solitude Fifth Wheel Model: ST382WB-R-2020
    Prior 2006 Carriage Carri Lite 34' triple slide

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont reccomend it. These electric ones arent nearly as robust as the old manual ones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael, we do not leave the awnings out if we are away from the rig for any length of time and we do not tie them down. The electric awnings use very thin aluminum arms and attaching points to the side of the RV, and are very light weight. They really have to be for the small motors to haul them in and out. In a good wind like we get here in Texas, even tied down the arms will flex and bend out of shape. Once they are bent they will not retract as they should. We hardly ever get to use our awnings.

A long time ago in the old days the manual awnings had very thick aluminum arms. The exact same thing as the Sunsetter awnings you see advertised on TV that people put on their houses. Those kind of awnings can take a moderate wind and can be tied down successfully. Heck you could detach the arm from the lower anchor on the side of the RV and swing the arm out straight and nail it down to the ground.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have seen too many "secured" awnings ripped off with holes in the sides and top of RVs to ever leave with my awnings extended. The motorhome has 1 main, 1 door, and 2 window and 4 slide awnings. The main, door always go in if we are away for the day, or if forecast winds. The window awnings don't get deployed unless forecast is for very good and light winds. With strong storm conditions I will sometime close the slides ahead of a gust front or severe storm. Takes just a few minutes to inconvenience me retracting awnings to potentially save thousands in repair costs and a major inconvenience.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)