User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    It should handle it better. I thought that the Momentum’s have the EMS with load shedding as needed when optioned with the 3rd AC
    Ha, lost me with that one. They have had their unit about three years, purchased new at the time. I do not know about the load shedding you speak of. My wife and I are looking at the GD Toyhaulers and I use this forum to try to educate myself more than I am at the moment. I do believe in learning from others trials and tribulations, and this is a faantastic place to do it. Thank you so much for your time and experience!
    Mark

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Onan 5500LP easily runs both 15K a/c's at the same time, I usually start one and let the gennie settle down with it then start the 2nd one. If using the microwave I will click off one ac and it has no issues. I've only put about 50 hours on it so far and 1 oil change but it has been completely trouble free, I like having it.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a Honda eu7000 and I'm very happy with it. When I first started thinking about onboard generators, I wanted something that could run the big house when the power went out, so a 240v output was important. (I didn't know about the White unit that @cookinwitdiesel mentioned. And I prefer inverter generators anyway. So i tried to figure a way to cram a portable generator into the front bay and it got complicated... Intake, exhaust, cooling, etc that others have mentioned. My fifth wheel is nose heavy already so I decided to mount it on the back. It is permanently mounted and I just put remote start on it. I know there is no "back" to mount on with a toy hauler, but maybe this will spark an idea for you.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My research indicated the same as others: Onan and GD have an agreement that allows them to pre-fab/install the Onan Gen; the Onan Gen is a high-quality generator (not that the Honda isn't, just don't know); I too would recommend a slow/easy start ( e.g Micro Air EasyStart for the 2ACs (you might be able to get away with lower output Generator).

I recommend the Onan because of the quality, accessibility for help/questions and warranty work. I had something happen to my unit, under warranty, and they were very helpful and completed the work as agreed. Seem like good people.

I added a Cummins Onan 6500 because we have a good size rig and are fulltime RVrs. We will purchase a good size bank of batteries next week from BattleBorn Batteries (Lithium Fe phosphate) and solar panels to allow extended Boondocking. We will be able to run the entire RV on a 50amp load.

Enjoy Life!
    David

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mhiser View Post
    Some friends of ours have the 350M with three ac's, and the other usual appliances. They have had some problems when attempting to operate the third unit in the Garage is why I was asking. It would seem the 6500 might alleviate that issue?
    Before upgrading the genset I would install Big kicks on the ac units, it is quite amazing how much they help with the start up loads.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Supco-SPP6-Har...45815829&psc=1

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper111 View Post
    Before upgrading the genset I would install Big kicks on the ac units, it is quite amazing how much they help with the start up loads.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Supco-SPP6-Har...45815829&psc=1
    With all the talk about soft start kits, you would think the manufacturers would listen and start building them in. They are really pretty simple and cheap.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    With all the talk about soft start kits, you would think the manufacturers would listen and start building them in. They are really pretty simple and cheap.
    I have no idea why all AC's, RV, home, etc, don't come with "hard start" kits on them. Capacitors are CHEAP. Honestly, even a hard start kit, why is it so small? Put a honking cap on these things and let it do it's job, easier on everything else fed from the genny/power line and better for the high load device not to try to start with a low voltage condition. I agree with you, they should just be standard equipment on everything that has a high start load (typically things with big motors in them, AC units, air compressors, etc).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I started with a TT and bought a 2000W generator to support it (infrequently), I'm staying with that for now. Our Honda Eu2000i rides in the genny firebox that came with our generator prepped Solitude.

The big reason I went with a Honda over everyone else was easy access to and existing owner documentation on how to swap out for a high-altitude needle in the carburetor. During the summer I camp at no less than 6,000' and at as high as 10,000'. We've walked around campgrounds where I can hear the majority of the generators surging because the mixture is off.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many answers and insights! Most of them things that did not occur to me or I was totally unaware of at all!
    High altitude camping and boon docking is a real possibility for us, so something else to consider.
    thanks to everyone that has replied!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12