User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Honda instead of Onan?

Is there a reason Onan generators are seemingly the choice that is installed? I was wondering if an Honda 7000eu inverter style could be used instead?
    Just wondering
    Thanks
    Mark

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are just a high quality generator that the industry seems to favor. They do have a proven track record.

One thing I would note, if considering the "standard" Onan RV QG 5500w. I would get the trailer with the gen prep and then have your own generator installed aftermarket. The reason I would do this is so that you can get a white Commercial QG 5500w which is the exact same engine with different generator windings to output a proper 120/240v split-phase signal vs the single phase 120v that the green RV generators do. Literally same size, weight, dimensions, hookups, price, everything.

For some this may not matter, but if you plan to run inverters down the road, this can make life a lot easier at that point.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mhiser View Post
    Is there a reason Onan generators are seemingly the choice that is installed? I was wondering if an Honda 7000eu inverter style could be used instead?
    Re: GD trailers, one reason that there may be more Onans installed is that the factory generator prep option is tailored for it. There are punch outs for intake and exhaust in the floor of the front compartment, plug-and-play wiring connections, and a containment / sound abatement shroud sized for it. Using a different generator would involve stiffening the floor, removing the shroud, adapting the wiring, and re-designing and building intake and exhaust pathways. Another reason that the Onan might be preferred over the Honda is that the Onan can be ordered in a propane version, eliminating issues with fueling an installed generator in a tight space.

I don’t have the Onan - not promoting it - but I’d guess that the above is the biggest part of the answer to your question.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not saying one is better than the other. I have 2 Honda 2000's and have had 2 RVs with Onan. Both pretty much trouble free if used often and all preventive maintenance done as recommended.

Onan focuses on the RV market. Almost every manufacturer plans for that. Almost every motorhome manufacturer uses ONAN. Cummings Onan simply builds generators for the RV market; I'm not sure any other manufactures does that on a large scale.

Honda focuses on portable generators. I don't think I've ever seen anything else from Honda.

I'd guess the are design considerations for generators used in a mobile environment versus a portable market. I'd guess there is a fuel delivery consideration and an oil level (sloshing) consideration at the least. And I doubt Honda promotes, encourages, or endorses modification of the exhaust system which you would absolutely have to do to run it in an enclosed box. Nor does Honda make any arrangement for remote start or interface to a battery system or temperature system for automatic starts.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I figured there were more than a few things to consider!, Never crossed my mind about the plug and play configuration, or the propane, exhaust re configuring etc. That is why I ask here. I knew there would be answers. Reason for asking is I have a couple different Hondas, and they are very Quiet and super fuel efficient. Been around several of the Onans and the were not as fuel efficient or quiet.
    Thanks to everyone that has helped
    Mark

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Onan is the preferred RV choice by far. The GD factory option is the 5500. If you want to run 2 AC units and everything else at once, the 5500 will struggle a little. Running on propane will reduce the output. For that reason I ordered the Solitude 385 with the generator prep and had the dealer install the Onan 6500 propane unit. The cost was about $500 more with installation. I haven’t had any problems with the 6500. You will need to invest in a couple extra 30 or 40 lb propane tanks if you want to boondocks for more than 3 days in the summer.
    2020 Solitude 385 GK R
    2019 F-350 Diesel King Ranch SRW
    Load Lifter 5000 lb Air Lift Airbags

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GunDog View Post
    The Onan is the preferred RV choice by far. The GD factory option is the 5500. If you want to run 2 AC units and everything else at once, the 5500 will struggle a little. Running on propane will reduce the output. For that reason I ordered the Solitude 385 with the generator prep and had the dealer install the Onan 6500 propane unit. The cost was about $500 more with installation. I haven’t had any problems with the 6500. You will need to invest in a couple extra 30 or 40 lb propane tanks if you want to boondocks for more than 3 days in the summer.
    So will that 6500 run a third ac, like for the third unit on a garage in a toyhauler?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 5500 can run all 3 if there is not another large load.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    A 5500 can run all 3 if there is not another large load.
    Some friends of ours have the 350M with three ac's, and the other usual appliances. They have had some problems when attempting to operate the third unit in the Garage is why I was asking. It would seem the 6500 might alleviate that issue?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should handle it better. I thought that the Momentum’s have the EMS with load shedding as needed when optioned with the 3rd AC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast