Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2018 F250 6.7L Pulling a 2019 Reflection 312BHTS Towing Question

Hi All -

Looking for feedback and opinions on our setup. We have a 2018 F250 6.7L SRW and a 2019 Reflection 312BHTS. The max weight on the F250 factory hitch says 1,400 lbs. I do have the Center Line TS WDH installed with the 800 - 1,200 lbs hitch weight bars. The dealer that we bought the Reflection from recommended the WDH bar ratings. I asked questions and think the bars are a little light for our setup. I haven't noticed any issues but we only towed once for a short distance.

The truck numbers per factory numbers are, payload capacity of 2,411lbs, GVWR of 10klbs, curb weight of 6,456lbs, GCVWR 25,700lbs. The Reflection numbers per the vehicle sheet, hitch weight is 1,044lbs, GVWR is 10,995lbs and UVW is 9,740. Based on what I know about this subject I have more than enough towing capability and payload capacity available but I would like be sure my calculations are correct.

This is all new to me so thank you in advance for any information and feedback.

Thank you,
    Jason
    Last edited by jxwilliamson; 02-17-2020 at 09:54 AM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmmm no comments or feedback - did I post something wrong?

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, Jason - you didn't post anything wrong. WD bars should be based on the actual (per scale) tongue weight of your trailer. If you haven't been to the CAT scales yet, Use 12% of the trailer's GVWR (from the sticker on the side of the trailer) to get an estimated tongue weight... and then get to the scales as soon as you can.

Hitch receivers will have two ratings stamped on them (or on a label): 1) max tongue weight without a WD hitch and, 2) max tongue weight with WD hitch. Make sure you're using the right one - but base the bars off the actual tongue weight of the trailer.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Rob, this is good information. The basic calculation that you provided tells me that my WD bars are rated 100lbs lighter than what I need. Before calling the dealer and discussing any of this I will head to my local CAT scales and get the actual numbers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason,

What did you determine about your WDH bars and hitch? I have the same set up but it’s kind of loud when turning/backing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zatchison2795 View Post
    Jason,

What did you determine about your WDH bars and hitch? I have the same set up but it’s kind of loud when turning/backing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    After some double checking the setup I have works but it does pop and get loud when turning. I haven't noticed it as much when backing up but I definitely get some loud pops when turning and was told that's normal.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jxwilliamson View Post
    Hi All -

Looking for feedback and opinions on our setup. We have a 2018 F250 6.7L SRW and a 2019 Reflection 312BHTS. The max weight on the F250 factory hitch says 1,400 lbs. I do have the Center Line TS WDH installed with the 800 - 1,200 lbs hitch weight bars. The dealer that we bought the Reflection from recommended the WDH bar ratings. I asked questions and think the bars are a little light for our setup. I haven't noticed any issues but we only towed once for a short distance.
    We have a 2019 312BH, too. Tongue weight with dealer installed battery, two full propane bottles and 1/4 tank of fresh water was 1230 lbs. That did not include any gear. At a Cat Scale, loaded for a typical 1-week trip with 1/3 fresh H2O but empty gray and black tanks, tongue weight was ~1420 lbs. Dealer had originally suggested the Sway Pro 1500, but given the partially loaded tongue weight of 1230 lbs, I was not comfortable using the 1500 lb bars. So, we went with the Sway Pro 2000 (2000 lb bars). It also has a 2.5" shank vs the 2" on the S P 1500, It is beefier all the way around. Tows well, but probably not as stable as with a Hensley or ProPride. 40-50 mph crosswinds in the plains of Colorado and Kansas moved the TV and trailer as one unit, not really sway per se. Regardless, it wasn't fun. Imagine it would have been much worse if we had gone with 1500 lb bars.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    We have a 2019 312BH, too. Tongue weight with dealer installed battery, two full propane bottles and 1/4 tank of fresh water was 1230 lbs. That did not include any gear. At a Cat Scale, loaded for a typical 1-week trip with 1/3 fresh H2O but empty gray and black tanks, tongue weight was ~1420 lbs. Dealer had originally suggested the Sway Pro 1500, but given the partially loaded tongue weight of 1230 lbs, I was not comfortable using the 1500 lb bars. So, we went with the Sway Pro 2000 (2000 lb bars). It also has a 2.5" shank vs the 2" on the S P 1500, It is beefier all the way around. Tows well, but probably not as stable as with a Hensley or ProPride. 40-50 mph crosswinds in the plains of Colorado and Kansas moved the TV and trailer as one unit, not really sway per se. Regardless, it wasn't fun. Imagine it would have been much worse if we had gone with 1500 lb bars.
    Thank you for the information and feedback on your experience. I have the ProPride on my list of upgrades.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jxwilliamson View Post
    Thank you for the information and feedback on your experience. I have the ProPride on my list of upgrades.
    Prior to my Solitude, I was very close to buying a 312BHTS to pull with my 2018 GMC 2500HD (so close I had started the paperwork - then the wife decided we had to have 1.5 baths lol). At the time, to me there was only one hitch option, for the size and weight of that trailer, I was going to get a ProPride hitch. (2 options if you also consider the very similar Hensley Arrow). These are about as big as travel trailers get and are absolutely as heavy as I would want to pull with a 3/4 ton. Really a 1-ton SRW would be better suited if you have truck choice.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Prior to my Solitude, I was very close to buying a 312BHTS to pull with my 2018 GMC 2500HD (so close I had started the paperwork - then the wife decided we had to have 1.5 baths lol). At the time, to me there was only one hitch option, for the size and weight of that trailer, I was going to get a ProPride hitch. (2 options if you also consider the very similar Hensley Arrow). These are about as big as travel trailers get and are absolutely as heavy as I would want to pull with a 3/4 ton. Really a 1-ton SRW would be better suited if you have truck choice.
    Thank you for the information. I have to admit all of this sway control and proper tow hitch configuration information overload makes me want to get a Fifth Wheel... lol

Has anyone looked at this newer "True Tow" hitch by Weigh Safe with a built-in weight gauge? https://www.weigh-safe.com/true-tow-...ibution-hitch/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast