User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar package

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar package

Just picked up a 320g with the solar package. During the walk around I noticed the Jaboni display inside was reading a voltage for the battery, but zeros for the solar panel. I pointed this out and they soon had FOUR different techs, walking around the trailer trying to figure it out as none of them seemed to know anything about the solar package or could tell me if it was working or not working. Fast forward a week, and its def not working. Has anyone had this? There's no voltage going to the controller in the storage compartment from the panel. But there is voltage comming from the battery into the controller.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go on the roof and see if the panel is hooked up. Use a voltmeter to check that there is voltage from panel and that polarity is correct when working. Also mine has a disconnect switch in the basement to kill power from panels when needed.

FYI. I have an after market install so you may or may not have this cut off.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Left The Driveway EasyRider2019's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2020 Momentum 397TH with the solar package. While adding additional batteries I noticed the solar controller status light is not lit and there was an extra wire laying in the bay that was not connected. Our Jaboni display is not working. Like you, we have no way to know whether the solar panels are charging the battery. I've reached out to the manufacturer who provided troubleshooting instructions which are going beyond my technical ability. I plan to communicate with GD to see if they can explain the solar set up.
    Gary & Dorie
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 397TH
    2019 Ram 3500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I called GD service... He gave me some steps to check, like El Rojo said, to check the voltage coming from the panel to the connector on the roof...which, took some doing as it was covered in the rubber sealant stuff and found the panel is good. But no voltage going from the connector on the roof to the controller in battery compartment. There is voltage going from the battery to the controller and also is what powers the controller, and from what I can tell, still draws power from the battery even when the battery disconnect switch in turned off because the battery has been dead twice, requiring a jump start of generator. Since the issue should have been caught at the factory, annnnd during the walk around...GD authorized me to find a mobile RV tech in my area to diagnose and fix the issue. Happy daze RV is picking up the tab for the service call out fee and GD will cover parts and labor. GD is mailing the tech a new connector and we will see if that does the trick.

Easyrider, The Jaboni display inside the trailer should have a voltage display for panel to the controller. And battery to the controller. The battery read 13.1 volts, and the panel was reading zero.. how I knew the battery wasn't being charged.l, and of course, because the battery keeps dying.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider2019 View Post
    We have a 2020 Momentum 397TH with the solar package. While adding additional batteries I noticed the solar controller status light is not lit and there was an extra wire laying in the bay that was not connected. Our Jaboni display is not working. Like you, we have no way to know whether the solar panels are charging the battery. I've reached out to the manufacturer who provided troubleshooting instructions which are going beyond my technical ability. I plan to communicate with GD to see if they can explain the solar set up.
    Put a voltmeter on the battery around 10 to 11 a.m. (when the batteries will take a charge) and check the voltage. You might also use the microwave for a few minutes to lower battery voltage. Batteries won't take a charge when they're fully charged. Then check the voltage when it's dark outside. It should read higher in the sun.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Whatever you do don’t disconnect the solar charge controller from the battery unless you first disconnect it from the solar panel.

A solar panel during the day (cloudy or not) will send electricity to and burn up a charge controller, if it’s not connected to a battery.
    The power has to “go” somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My solar setup is the opposite. It says disconnect the battery first (which I always do). So be sure to check you instruction manual.

Regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm unfamiliar with the Jaboni mppt, but if the batteries are fully charged, the panels would read zeroes as there's nothing going in correct? is there a way to access the mppt's charging parameters to see what voltage it's set at since there's a different protocol for different types of batteries?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikegeek311 View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with the Jaboni mppt, but if the batteries are fully charged, the panels would read zeroes as there's nothing going in correct?
    Correct. Any brand MPPT solar charge controller display "should" read zero input/output if battery bank is fully charged.
    If you want to check that they're working, put a load on the batteries then wait a few minutes.
    As soon as the SoC drops below 99% the controller will signal the panels to start outputting power, but it won't be much, since your SoC is high.
    The controller basically throttles the panels, only requesting a little power from the panels if that's all you need to top off your battery bank.
    If the batteries are at 95% SoC our controller display will only read about 10 or 20 amps coming in, but at say 80% SoC then we'll see the controller allowing in our max of 75 amps from our solar.
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 02-26-2020 at 10:24 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased a 3740BH in November with the solar package. It has never worked. I am in the middle of having a full install done that includes a Victron 3000w inverter and three battle born batteries and three additional panels on the roof (1275w total). I’m going to sell the 2000 W inverter and jaboni charge controller (brand new from GD when they couldn’t figure out what the issue was). TheDryCampers are doing the install with 2 gauge wiring from the roof and a second set for additional panels in the future. They are redesigning the pass-through and increasing the space by 20%. Everything will be installed behind the pass through wall with panel doors for access.

Essentially, when all is said and done, I paid 2K for a solar panel from GD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast