Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen Y pinbox

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gen Y pinbox

Is anyone familiar with the Gen Y pinbox? I believe it is made by torsion flex, looks to combine the main features folks look for in an upgraded pinbox without the airbag. Presently have a 5th airborne but the idea of no airbag is appealling to me. You can view a short video and check out the specs at www.genyhitch.com.
    Last edited by Rolinhar; 02-17-2020 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Wrong url

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity, what is your concern with the air bag?

I have a Reese GooseBox and have been happy with it so far. If I needed to go up to a 5k pin weight the Gen Y would be the next option - it is a beast.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I like the 5th airborne, I would rather not have an airbag if possible just 1 less thing to worry about and fuss with. Haven't had any issues with the airborne other then it does have to be topped up every wk or so. Have called Reese and they say it is normal for the pressure to drop several lbs in a wk. The Gen Y seems to do everything in regards to forward and back motion as well as up and down, if I had known about it when I purchased the airborne several yrs ago I would have bought the Gen Y.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Installed the Gen-Y on our 351M. Took about 35 minutes with one friend. First drive was 325 miles over roads we have been on many times before. Difference was amazing. Have a 3K trip coming up in June and expect it to really prove itself then.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s good news. I’ve been looking into it for our 351. Did it push your trailer back a few inches? Does the coupler have a pin? How is it to insert the pin?
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...209#post292209

Check this link in another conversation. I got it because I didn't want to deal with the air. It works great but I did have an issue with it you can read about in that link.
    '19 Momentum 351M
    '20 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 8' bed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well 1st let me say how well built the GenY kingpin is, I have installed it on my 310GK but have had some chucking issues that I did not have with the 5th airborne. The main thing I can see is that the kingpin is much taller then the airborne. I placed the pin in the upper most position on the trailer and my bed rail clearance went from 6 1/2" to 10 1/2". Because my truck is a standard bed I have a slider so my lowest hitch height I can get is 17", where if I went to a regular hitch it would be 13". Because of this the trailer is now somewhat nose high and am presently working with GenY to see if that is the issue or if it is something else. GenY has been very good trying to help me resolve the chucking issue. Please note that while the front of the trailer went up what looks like 4", I did have the roadmaster slipper spring suspension & shocks on the trailer and that did raise the trailer. From what I can see I am approx 2" nose high which should not really be an issue. As a point of interest I put the airborne back on and chucking was greatly reduced. Not sure where I go from here could look at lowering the rear of my f350 by replacing the 3 1/4" blocks with 2" ones and then the trailer would pretty much level or within an inch or less. Of course another option is getting rid of the slider but because of our driveway it is used everytime I back in, just 1 less thing to really worry about.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolinhar View Post
    ... I have installed it on my 310GK but have had some chucking issues that I did not have with the 5th airborne.
    That is because the design only allows for movement and damping of the up-and-down motion of the pinbox. Other dampened pin boxes allow fore-and-aft movement designed to deal with the chucking.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that some pins are better at dealing with all the towing issues such as chucking or porpoising. GenY states that their pin looks after both, I did wonder how the chucking could be dealt with but after talking to them they assured me they have not had chucking issues with the 5th wheel kingpin. They did at 1st with the gooseball pin but have since corrected that. Will be talking to them tmrw again and hopefully they have some other ideas to try.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrick View Post
    That’s good news. I’ve been looking into it for our 351. Did it push your trailer back a few inches? Does the coupler have a pin? How is it to insert the pin?
    Won’t lie. Backing to the kingpin was easier, even with the demand of a slider. That said, I have no doubt that it will take very little practice to connect this as easily. I did not measure the set back pre and post, it seems it did, but not that much.

My son in law filmed the install and first drive ( The Chick’s Life, on YouTube) . I understand his points in the difference between Anderson and Gen-Y, even considered the Anderson. The key difference was the torsion component. Having a design that lessens the shock load on both the TV and trailer WITHOUT a need to compensate with air, is worth any inconvenience created by hooking up.. I am closer to 70 than 60 and will accept the pin as a trade off to an easier pull. The pin was only hard to insert the first time.
    Finally, I am checking on the frame warranty issue. If it is lost, so be it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast