User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
    ... The ground wire never sparks when you remove it from the battery ....
    What?!

Where did you get this information?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely will spark if the plus side is connected. Finishing a loop is the same regardless of where it is done.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Definitely will spark if the plus side is connected. Finishing a loop is the same regardless of where it is done.
    2X...I totally agree with comment by cookinwitdiesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper111 View Post
    The reason for disconnecting the negative is more of a safety thing than anything else. When working on vehicles the whole frame and anything metal is connected to the negative terminal of the battery. Disconnecting it first removes all chances of shorting out the positive with a wrench or screwdriver, etc. while trying to disconnect it.
    Agreed. The reason for disconnecting the negative first or connecting it last has to do with the wrench involved at the battery.

The statement about positive side sparking and negative side not is false.... If current is flowing in the circuit, an arc will occur at the point the circuit is broken.

The question of whether to switch the positive or negative side seems to be a matter of convenience. For example, a starter motor is typically switched on the positive side because the engine block is a good ground. On the other hand, if a circuit is to be controlled from multiple switches it may be more convenient to provide a ground for each switch. Both approaches seem ok.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
    I like what you have done so far to clean up the electrical. Only thing I would change is the disconnect. You should always put it in the (-) negative side. I know it may not matter but as a rule of thumb that's the recommended side of the battery.
    You're correctly thinking about disconnecting a car battery with (-) ground. The (-) should be disconnected first and connected last to preclude a short circuit from the tool if it makes contact with ground ( Any metal part in the engine compartment ). It doesn't matter with a cutoff switch.
    Sue & Bill
    Lansing, NY
    2017 Silverado 2500 Duramax High Country
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    What trailer do you have (it saves questions if you add your truck and trailer info to your signature)? I am guessing you have electric landing gear. I have hydraulic landing gear, stabilizers and main slides on my Solitude. The pump, the controller and the electric selector valves (solenoids) are separate.

Edit - I see from your first post you have a 2017 Solitude. Ignore my (incorrect) comments on electric landing gear. The rest still applies.

The controller (which also drives the solenoids) was a direct (not switched) connection to the battery through a 10A in-line fuse from the factory. It is now on the switched side of the disconnect switch. A little extra security to keep someone from "playing" with the trailer in storage. No inconvenience to me and a good reminder to re-enable the battery .

I left the hydraulic pump as a direct connection to the battery, as it was originally wired. I have increased the wire size (from #6 to #4 gauge) and changed the circuit breaker from the factory 50A (which gave me problems) to a heavy duty 80A circuit breaker (Grand Design would neither send me an upgraded breaker nor help me with after market breaker - disappointed in GD ). I have seen over 90A draw in operation (not locked rotor). Typical draw is 60~70A so a stout, direct connections is warranted (in my opinion).

Chris
    I also upgraded the wires to the hydraulic pump to number 4 when I replaced the breaker with an 80 Amp breaker. The hydraulics work much better with the new breaker and heavier wires.

FYI: I installed a High Amp, Self-Resetting, Breaker from Bussmann. Here is the breaker I recommend...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456