Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freeze protection when towing

My wife and I will begin our first long journey in about a week, from Ohio, south on 77, through West Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, heading southwest to Louisiana. My question is when dealing with possible freezing temps when towing what precautions should I take while underway ? Should the unit be fully winterized, or will the tank heaters provide enough protection.

Thanks in advance.

Gord and Janet Fuchs
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    Towing a 2015 305RE,
    with a 2008 Dodge Diesel, 1 ton

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no expert, but have read lots of replies to similar posts on RV.net. I tend to be cautious and would rather have a few days of inconvenience than problems to fix. We have done the route of carrying a gallon of water and flushing with pink stuff until far enough south.

Since you are traveling higher elevations, you'll get colder weather. Watch the forecast, there is a blast of cold projected this weekend. Once your daytime travel temps are above 30, you can probably dewinterize.

The weather underground website has a really neat link, something like travel planner, that will show you the forecast for stops along your route.

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Since the tank heaters won't be in service while you're underway, I'd recommend that all your lines and tanks be winterized if the temps are predicted to be lower than freezing. Freezing lines could cause significant damage which would not be covered under warranty.

pwrplay
    You should fully winterize the plumbing if you'll be in sub freezing temps for any length of time. The tank heaters are just ducting in the underbelly thats fed from the furnace. So if your furnace is not running, the tanks aren't warm.

Tom & Glo
    What are the 12 v tank heaters for? Might they be of some help?

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Solitude does use the dedicated heat pads, whereas the Reflection relies on strictly the duct work from the furnace.

I have also heard of folks just running the furnace to keep temps above freezing.

At a minimum, I would blow out the lines with air. You would have to have several days of sub-freezing temps before any harm would occur.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on how cold it's going to get. If I'm just seeing 30 degrees or so, I may not do anything.

We're going to see a big dip in temperatures tomorrow for a couple of days, and I'm heading to my travel trailer to pump rv antifreeze through the lines and drain the hot water heater. I'll be using the bypass valves at that time.

I'll also disconnect the electric lines to my hot water heater--so I don't burn out my heating element (again.)

Like I said, it depends on the weather forecast on what measures to take if you're staying in the trailer.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're brand new at this and heading to Florida from Wyoming in a couple weeks. We're keeping the Solitude winterized until we arrive, but I'm concerned with CONTENTS freezing during transit. (e.g. Cooking oils, health & beauty aids, etc.)
    I've heard that some keep their furnace running at a low temp while towing. Is this okay? If so, are there any tips or warnings for doing this?
    Last edited by Conk Shell; 12-17-2014 at 09:10 AM.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Conk Shell, and welcome to the forum! The average freezing temperature of vegetable oil is 14F. I've never run with the furnace on, but I always run with the refrigerator on. One thing you might consider is to put any of the items you're concerned about in the refrigerator, and set it on it's warmest setting. Just a thought.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply, Jim! What about plants? Does anyone take their plants?
    I apologize in advance if my questions seem stupid. We are going to full time in this RV,
    and I've got a few small succulents I'd love to keep.
    Last edited by Conk Shell; 12-17-2014 at 09:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast