Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purchasing off the lot vs. Ordering direct via dealer

Good day all!

DW and I have been looking at the 310GK-R for full timing and have seen a couple models now at the dealers lot and neither of them have the little detail options we really want. It's looking more and more every day that unless we can find exactly what we want with all the options on the coach that we'll end up placing a special order via the local dealer. I would imagine that buying off the lot would provide a greater level of purchasing power as the dealer wants to move their existing inventory. Can you negotiate the typical 25-30% off MSRP if building and ordering a unit?

The options we're specifically looking at are -

1. Linen decor, it seems every unit we've see thus far is the Java Decor. To us the Linen lightens up the coach much more. What other changes in the valances, curtains, bedding, flooring, etc. come with the Linen decor package?

2. Dual pane windows vs. Single pane. The coaches we've seen thus far all have single pane windows. Our existing ORV Glacier Peak F26-CIS 5th wheel has dual pane windows and we really like that it helps cut down on noise, insulation, as well as prevents condensation buildup. How much additional weight can we expect the dual pane to add to the overall weight of the coach with this much glass? I only ask as we haven't seen a unit with the dual pane option. For those that have dual panes, any problems with them to date?

3. Heat pump A/C. We know we're going to add the heat pump option to the main salon A/C, is it worth it to have the bedroom A/C unit with the heat pump option? The price is pretty small and was just wondering if the heat pump on the 2nd A/C is even worth it in the long run. We live in the Southeast and aren't subjected to the brutal winters, unlike others.

4. Furniture. The love seat has that console divider between the two seats. Is there a way to order the love seat without the divider? I can't find anything on the GD website when building the coach that provides us that furniture option. Is this the default seat that comes with all units? Current 5th wheel has the console and we'd rather have the love seat w/o the console divider. How is this ordered w/o the divider?

5. Slide out awnings. I take it this is referencing the slide out toppers. Definitely going that route as I don't like to climb up on our current coach each time we depart camp to sweep them off.

6. Upgraded axles w/ Disc Brakes. There are 2 options, the 7k and 8k Axles w/Disc Brakes. Given that the 310GK-R has a UVW of 12,100 lbs and an overall GVWR of 15k lbs, it seems to me that the 7k Axles w/Disc Brakes would be sufficient but I'm not opposed to going up to the 8k Axles w/Disc Brakes if required to do so. What would be the delineation factor causing one to go with the 8k axles? Are the disc brakes electric or hydraulic? Also, are the upgraded axles the Morryde Independent Suspension axles or just Dexter's with Disc Brakes installed?

7. Solar Package. I see that the coach is already pre-wired with 10 gauge wire for a future solar install if one so desired. Is it worth it to add the Solar Package w/300 watt panel, Controller and 2000 watt inverter up front or just wait and do a custom install once one has factored in their energy requirements by performing an energy audit? I wouldn't want to add this option only to have most of the components removed if ever doing a custom solar install.

Quality issue I see thus far is the rats nest wiring behind the panels in the basement, it's just Helter Skelter and unacceptable poor workmanship. Having been in the telecommunications field for over 35 years and worked in a number of Central Offices, one should have great pride in wiring management even if you don't see them. Have any of you current owners attempted to rewire/rerun the wires/cables?

Are there other options not listed on the GD build page available to buyers that we should be aware of?

I appreciate and thank those those readers that took the time to go over this long post and your responses as inquiring minds want to make sure we're getting exactly what we want.

thanks all!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome to the forum!

I can tackle some of your questions...Yes, you can get 25-30% off MSRP when ordering. We've done it three times now.

1- Linen decor. We much prefer this as well. Unless something has changed, the only difference is the furniture.
    2- Dual pane windows. This is very subjective. We ordered our first 5th wheel with DP windows. The second and third without. If you do a search, you'll find many threads and more opinions.
    3- Heat pump A/C. We ordered our most recent unit with this option but I have no experience with them.
    4- Furniture. I'm not aware of any way to swap for optional furniture.
    5- Slide toppers. Yes, these are optional. We use our 5th wheel in Palm Springs where there are no leaves falling and it's common to have wind so we skip this option.
    6- Axles. The 310GK is fairly light for 7,000lb axles. Most people who replace them stay with 7,000lb. The new disc brakes are electric over hydraulic. The upgraded axles are Dexter. If you want the MORryde IS suspension, Grand Design will arrange to have your RV transported to MORryde prior to shipping. My 310GK-R is there right now :-)
    7- Solar. I added this option to our order for a couple reasons. I wanted a solar panel to keep my batteries charged while in storage and I also wanted some of the components (charge controller and inverter) done at the factory. If (when) I upgrade this system, I will replace the charge controller but all the wiring and mounting will have already been done. If you know for sure you'll be boondocking a lot and want a serious solar system, I would recommend passing on this option as you will likely replace the inverter, charge controller and possibly wiring and solar panel.

Wiring? Yeah, wiring and workmanship in general in all RV's under $200k is horrible. If you want clean and organized wiring, open your checkbook WIDE. Several people have redone their wiring and plumbing in the basement to clean it up.

The one option you didn't mention that we chose for our last two Grand Design RV's is full body paint. Again, if you do a search, you'll find many opinions on this.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for responding and the input bertschb. The MORryde IS option was something I didn't know that GD would do for you. That would save a lot of travel time to have that performed prior to delivery. Since it's not a listed option in their website, what is the rough cost over their listed $3330 7k axle upgrade price to have that upgrade performed at MORryde and how long does it take?

We've looked seriously at the painted option and are on the fence about it at the moment. For the cost, I feel those paint option $$$ could be applied elsewhere, i.e., the MORryde suspension. I'll do a search on the paint option and dual plane windows. DW has been doing research on the DP windows and the feedback is that 1 or more windows will most likely need replacing after 4+ years, is costly and you need to ensure that whoever is performing the work knows what they are doing. Not sure how accurate that is and if it's just a disgruntled owner that's had to have their DP's replaced. Again, more research required.

Good to know about people redoing some of their wiring and plumbing. Having worked in a C.O. I feel confident this is a task I could easily undertake. DW is adamant about staying under $100k MSRP.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert E View Post
    ...The MORryde IS option was something I didn't know that GD would do for you. That would save a lot of travel time to have that performed prior to delivery. Since it's not a listed option in their website, what is the rough cost over their listed $3330 7k axle upgrade price to have that upgrade performed at MORryde and how long does it take?
    It is pretty cool that Grand Design will transport the RV to/from MORryde at no charge! The customer has to make arrangements with MORryde for scheduling and payment. Grand Design has been super nice to work with in this regard. Very impressed with their customer service!

MORryde is charging me $6,899 for tandem 7K axles and disc brakes. $2,899 for brakes alone. It takes three days to do both the suspension and brakes. I live in Oregon so having this work done prior to getting the RV saves me a LOT of driving!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In ref to your heat pump question know that it's not a sufficient source to heat your RV. The heat pump does exactly what the name implies; pumps heat from the outside to the inside of your RV. Below 40 degrees (outside temp) the heat pump will be inefficient since the compressor cannot convert the cold air into warm air. The heat pump does not make for a good heater but it's good to supplement your furnace heater and/or fireplace/electric heater. YMMW
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick response! Not a bad option for an additional $3569 over the factory 7k upgrade. I'm impressed with the turn around time on that MORryde upgrade. That saves me a r/t haul from Georgia and you get the MORryde IS upgrade out of the gate as well. That's a deal to me. Now to get my current rig sold and we'll be wheelin and dealin.

As an fyi, we were out at Park at the River in Joseph, Or in June 2018 for the Outdoors RV rally. Beautiful country and look forward to getting back there again.

Robert E
    Ram 3500 6.7L 4x4 SRW SB w/rear air suspension
    Aisin tranny
    Glacier Peak F26-CIS
    Pullrite SuperGlide hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have ordered twice and bought our new 2930 off the lot ... it had all we wanted ... the 2nd unit was a problem ... our order fell during model year change and the bathroom was changed completely ... probably should have tried to refuse to take it not sure if we could have ... I will say that we would not have ordered if we would have known about the change ... we will never order again and only buy from dealer stock ... might have to search a little more or pay to add at the dealership .... for a discount we got over 30% on each order .... you have a detailed list and a lot of options so ordering will be the way to go .... the Solitude comes with so many standard features it made it easy on us ... our have to haves are slide toppers- 2 a/c - drop frame - residential frig - pantry - heat pump the floor plan of the 2930 really just checked all of our list.... we don't full time or boondock ... making improvements on your unit and being handy is a big plus if you have skills .... I relate RV's to boats which I have owned several and it always took me a year to get it were I was happy with it ... best of luck ... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dual pane windows will add about 300# in the 310GK. That's from a couple GD reps last year.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think a heat pump- is a waste of money and add weight to the rig. I would rather get a AC unit that would keep up with 100 degree heat than a heat pump that cant keep up with 40 degree cold.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1- Linen décor has been addressed.
    2- Dual pane windows are heavy and expensive. In the Southeast, we see no reason to get them. If you spent winters in Canada or summers in Arizona, they may be warranted.
    3- Heat pump A/C would not be needed in the front bedroom. We just heat with a tiny ceramic electric heater on very cold days.
    4- Furniture has been addressed.
    5- Slide toppers were quoted to us for $500 each--$2,000 in our case no matter of the length. (High profit item for the dealer.) At that price, I can broom the trash off the tops of the slides.
    6- Axles. The 310GK is fairly light for 7,000lb axles. If you're going to tow over big mountains or take long, extended trips, the disc brakes would be nice. I will pass on the expensive components.
    7- Solar prep--We don't boondock, and it's not needed. We prefer our campground with WiFi and cable television hookups.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast