User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverter Install Question on Transfer Switch

I am thinking about installing a 2,000 watt inverter to feed the entire trailer (Momentum 351M). We would only use it for our espresso maker in the morning and TV / low demand otherwise. For when we do not want to or cannot run the generator.

Questions: Has anyone wired one using the existing generator transfer switch somehow? Or is the only way to add a second 50 amp transfer switch?

Seems the inverter pass through circuits are only rated up to 25 amps from what i can find.

Thoughts and ideas appreciated. I am obviously not an electrician.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With 50 Amp units you can only connect on one side of the 50 amp transfer switch. Since you only want to use it for your espresso maker, you can just connect to the side that powers the plug{s) that power your espresso maker. As far as your TV, this is likely powered by the 12v side so you should not need an inverter to power it. A couple thoughts, if as you say,you are only interested in powering your espresso maker a 2000 watt inverter is overkill, you can likely do just fine with a 1500 watt inverter and may very well get by with a 1000 watt inverter, but check the specs of your espresso maker to determine its maximum watt draw. This is important because inverters are not terribly efficient, some more so than others, but even the best may only be around 85-90% as such the larger the inverter the more draw from your batteries. Another thought since you say you are not an electrician, you do not have to be to wire an inverter, BUT if you have know to limited understanding of electricity this is definitely a job for an electrician, a competent RV tech or a friend/family member who is savvy with electricity.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is how I re-wired the res. fridge inverter for my Solitude. You could probably do something similar to power a circuit of interest (but not all/half of your RV). In my case, I specifically chose a breaker circuit that had a lot of the available outlets on it. First I did map out every outlet to its circuit breaker just to confirm that - my circuit diagram is also attached - this will be different across models (and even across specific trailers of the same model possibly). This allows me to run several outlets including the fridge and TV off of the factory provided 1000w inverter. You could get a similar unit and install it "inline" on your main string of outlets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV Circuit Mappings.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	25865

Name:	Res Fridge Inverter.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	25866
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the post! That is similar to what I am leaning towards - isolating 1 or more circuits for the inverter.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    With 50 Amp units you can only connect on one side of the 50 amp transfer switch. Since you only want to use it for your espresso maker, you can just connect to the side that powers the plug{s) that power your espresso maker. As far as your TV, this is likely powered by the 12v side so you should not need an inverter to power it. A couple thoughts, if as you say,you are only interested in powering your espresso maker a 2000 watt inverter is overkill, you can likely do just fine with a 1500 watt inverter and may very well get by with a 1000 watt inverter, but check the specs of your espresso maker to determine its maximum watt draw. This is important because inverters are not terribly efficient, some more so than others, but even the best may only be around 85-90% as such the larger the inverter the more draw from your batteries. Another thought since you say you are not an electrician, you do not have to be to wire an inverter, BUT if you have know to limited understanding of electricity this is definitely a job for an electrician, a competent RV tech or a friend/family member who is savvy with electricity.
    My espresso maker pulls a steady 1,500 watts, so I need at least a 2,000 watt inverter. As you note, they are not efficient and are very sensitive to temperature.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of good input and insights on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1714...=group_comment

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WFCO makes a 2000w version of what GD put in my trailer, honestly though, not the highest end unit ever.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Here is how I re-wired the res. fridge inverter for my Solitude. You could probably do something similar to power a circuit of interest (but not all/half of your RV). In my case, I specifically chose a breaker circuit that had a lot of the available outlets on it. First I did map out every outlet to its circuit breaker just to confirm that - my circuit diagram is also attached - this will be different across models (and even across specific trailers of the same model possibly). This allows me to run several outlets including the fridge and TV off of the factory provided 1000w inverter. You could get a similar unit and install it "inline" on your main string of outlets.

Name:	RV Circuit Mappings.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	25865

Name:	Res Fridge Inverter.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	25866
    Nice drawing! And good solution.

Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    WFCO makes a 2000w version of what GD put in my trailer, honestly though, not the highest end unit ever.
    What "cookiunwithdiesel" said - buy a good 2000W inverter. I think he likes the "Go Power" brand; I like the Xantrex for what you want to do. Either would work. You can just put in a Xantrex Freedom series in place of you existing WFCO inverter, I'm nat familiar too much with the Go Power connections.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Nice drawing! And good solution.

What "cookiunwithdiesel" said - buy a good 2000W inverter. I think he likes the "Go Power" brand; I like the Xantrex for what you want to do. Either would work. You can just put in a Xantrex Freedom series in place of you existing WFCO inverter, I'm nat familiar too much with the Go Power connections.
    I am actually more of a Victron fan Putting dual Quattros into my Solitude In my diagram above, you just want to make sure you get an inverter that will passthrough AC voltage and not be strictly DC > AC conversion.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 3300 watt inverter/charger and it powers the whole rig and this is how I did it. I ran the main power in and split it to the inverter/charger and the transfer switch. The inverter out goes to the other side of the generator side of the switch and I jump the hot onto both legs of the transfer switch so both sides of the breaker panel is hot, like I am on a 30 AMP service. This was the simplest way that I could think of to manage power and convenance. I have attached an overall wiring diagram and a photos of the PDB and transfer switch.

Name:	337 wireing.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	25950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inverter Project sw-dist.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	25949
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 337 wireing.psd  
    Last edited by Dopperud; 04-15-2020 at 10:55 PM.
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast