User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghdorn View Post
    No. And I can't imagine a circumstance short of kidnapping that would get me there. In in Florida and want to be above 8000 ft once the temp is 90 or better. I'm done with extreme heat and being soaking wet . done with into day. Usually ac. Only runs when we are making our escape from florida.
    I cannot imagine there are a ton of campgrounds at that elevation, I would think most are going to be in the valleys adjacent to the mountains around 4-5000 feet. I know that around 4000 feet in Wyoming in the summer. it can still get to 100f easily. Sure, up in the mountains it is cooler, but again, that is not where camp would be.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think my reply disappeared. Along conejos and Delores in Colorado and east of grand junction high up and around lake George. And in Utah around Heber and deeper into the mountains. Really do avoid the heat and stay high for fly fishing. Grandkids are a bonus. Were planning on Montana, idaho Oregon and Washington this summer but that 4 month trip is kind of stalled right now. More often than not run a small electric heater. 40s in the am or 50s is right up my alley.
    2013 Chevy 2500 Silverado Diesel
    2020 3000QB
    Glen,Barbara and
    Dottie O'Doran the Wonder Dog

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    I cannot imagine there are a ton of campgrounds at that elevation, I would think most are going to be in the valleys adjacent to the mountains around 4-5000 feet. I know that around 4000 feet in Wyoming in the summer. it can still get to 100f easily. Sure, up in the mountains it is cooler, but again, that is not where camp would be.
    There’s tons.
    One spot we boondock in NM is 8,400 ft.
    We were there in August and it never got above 75 the 2 weeks we were there. Then we went to a FHU campground about an hour North of there near Antonito, Colorado where our campground (and the entire town) is almost 8,000 feet.
    Another awesome boondocking spot we found was almost 11,000 feet in SW Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    There’s tons.
    One spot we boondock in NM is 8,400 ft.
    We were there in August and it never got above 75 the 2 weeks we were there. Then we went to a FHU campground about an hour North of there near Antonito, Colorado where our campground (and the entire town) is almost 8,000 feet.
    Another awesome boondocking spot we found was almost 11,000 feet in SW Colorado.

Then I stand corrected! Not much need for AC at that altitude for sure! Which is a good thing, since your generator will considerably de-rate at that altitude anyways due to the thinner air. Open some windows, run the vent fan, and enjoy that crisp mountain air
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Then I stand corrected! Not much need for AC at that altitude for sure! Which is a good thing, since your generator will considerably de-rate at that altitude anyways due to the thinner air. Open some windows, run the vent fan, and enjoy that crisp mountain air
    Since you mentioned that...Having spent most of my life in flat boring Texas I was curious about that so I tried it and our Honda generator wouldn’t run at all at that altitude.
    I found out later there are rejetting kits you can install for high altitude applications.
    Lol

But we run our air conditioning off our solar and lithium now, so no need for a generator.

It’s getting warm here in Arizona now and we’ve been running it most of the day almost every day. Since it is a small unit and only takes 30 amps to power it and we’ve been bringing in 30a by 10am (75 amps by 1pm) we can power it literally all day long and still run our entire trailer (microwave, TV, etc.) on the batteries and they are fully charged by 11 or 12 and stay at 100% till about 6 or so when the sun hits the mountain range West of us but by then it starts cooling down outside. With 400ah of lithium we could technically continue to run it another 10 or 12 hours while powering everything else.
    I put a cover over the roof a/c last year.
    We love our little $125 Walmart a/c unit.
    We’re at a FHU campground right now and not connected to shore power because they charge for electricity. I’ve had people come up and remind me that I forgot to connect to it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running a dual fuel Champion 3400W connected to the propane bbq outlet. Never ran it on gas.
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=DaveMatthewsBand;290116]Since you mentioned that...Having spent most of my life in flat boring Texas

You ain't seen Texas friend!
    Ken & Margie
    2020 GD 337
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4
    B&W Companion

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What Generators are you using?

[QUOTE=kscaddo;290325]
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Since you mentioned that...Having spent most of my life in flat boring Texas

You ain't seen Texas friend!
    I spent 50 years there my friend and Texas has its own qualities but there are much better states to live in if you’re into four wheeling, hiking and free camping.
    I spent years in DFW and East Texas, Houston and Galveston. I’ve seen most of all of Texas and “for me” it’s boring and flat “compared to most pretty much every other state we’ve camped in over the past two years. So much so that we have no plans on ever living there again.

Rivers and lakes out here are crystal clear not dark brown.
    I spent the last 20 years in Fort Worth and had to drive 45 minutes North just to find an OHV park or drive 3 hours South to Austin just to ride a dirt bike or find a place to put my FJ In 4LO and I had to pay an average of $25 to do so.

I also had to pay to go camping since there’s no BLM land. None of the places I lived were made for the outdoorsman.
    Something like 83% of Arizona is camping area and dirt bike trails, mostly free.

I can also do without the humidity, the tornadoes and hail which I experienced all the time there, haven’t seen any of those for 2 years since full timing out West.

I have friends there that will never leave but that’s only because they’ve never been anywhere else. They don’t know what better looks like.

Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 04-24-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345