Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    I really want to see some pics of the area where the dirt is showing up, can't imagine how it's getting in there. Even after spending a week in mine last fall I barely had to sweep it, it's pretty dust free and a good doormat catches most tracked in dirt.
    Hi, sorry for the delay, I’m posting 5 pictures, 2 r the dinette on the left side (standing outside at trailer looking in) and 2 r the right side. I pulled the slides in and stopped so I could go look. Sure enough the left side the side towards living room stairs is the worst, and it i believe is the main culprit, it is also the wheel well corner too. All this time i thought it was the fridge slide because the dirt would be worst at the floor, at the shared hutch to living room corner of the fridge slide.
    The fridge slide holes are finger size, and are pretty minimal, in fact they don’t concern me because i believe the main issue is the dinette slide. Dinette wheel well hole is about 3-4” in diameter. The right side is goofy-er because it is like a square hole squished. Here is the tricky part, when the slides are completely extended pic #5 , that piece of hard foam i circled in the picture completely closes up, no gaps around it, sealed pretty good when slide is extended, but when the slide is retracted in, right smack behind this foam is where the gap opens up, so I was thinking when i retracted the slide in, that oh gee just fill in behind this foam, but what i noticed is when the slide is fully extended, the behind the foam spot gets filled in by the floor and thus zero room to fill in that hole. It is like to fill it this hole has to be done from inside and under somehow? Oh good grief. I cannot tell what flap should been extended to be covering these holes, it’s pretty annoying.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CB7C1A40-CE34-4BF6-9430-3E971C1EB64B.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	331.1 KB 
ID:	25113
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	258C0B22-B551-4E0B-A5D0-CD0DE0A0842D.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	715.2 KB 
ID:	25114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F058B0FD-375E-4539-A831-B4507A922717.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	478.2 KB 
ID:	25115Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC02FC98-7C4E-4D21-B874-D3E6C09E0A5E.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	763.7 KB 
ID:	25116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A7B7413C-2DEC-4A12-BD44-23C7932F843A.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	627.6 KB 
ID:	25117
    2019, Solitude 375RES
    2018, RAM 3500, Dually, Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, 4:10, AISIN

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s two more pics of that one left slide corner of the dinette, forgot i already marked them up, they moved in my pile of photos just saw them now, better pics of the existing flaps. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA3C4E30-F536-40A0-8610-844024FD99E8.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	820.9 KB 
ID:	25118 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D31945ED-931E-4A8A-8555-5B2BCDA02D2D.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	722.0 KB 
ID:	25119
    2019, Solitude 375RES

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, they missed the seal detailing on your trailer! Sheesh.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Yep, they missed the seal detailing on your trailer! Sheesh.
    Wow no kidding!! I would be marching that trailer right back to the dealer and also be on the horn to GD first thing tomorrow. Lovingit no wonder you're getting dust inside, that's brake dust and road debris coming in while you're going down the road.
    That's a shame but your dealer should be able to reseal those slides and take care of you, I have nothing like that on mine and it's a 2019 as well. Good luck and keep us posted.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry to hear of your 375 troubles LovingIt. My 2019 375 definitely does not have this issue, it has to be a slide seal missing or torn. That's the only thing I can think of that would let dirt inside only in that area. What about brake dust, are your rims covered with it after a tow? Maybe the brakes are adjusted a little too tight and throwing off excessive dust and getting in the slide seal. As far as the fridge I wasn't too crazy about mine either but I read on here about moving the clip and wire inside the fridge over a couple of fins and that did the trick. Mine will maintain 33-36 in the fridge and 0-5 degrees in the freezer now. You might try that.
    Thank you for your temperature ranges, what is the setting 1-9 your fridge is on? And what is the outside temperature typical on this setting that you are able to maintain these temperatures?

Okay here’s the absolute BS, I’ve been putting up with. The fridge is on setting 7, the fridge runs at -1c to +1c average, it is more -1c and sometimes -2c (-2c =28.4 F, -1c= 30.2F; 0=32F). Our outside temperatures have been 2c at night to max 10c at night (2c=35.6F; 10c=50F). We cannot use our top rack in the fridge as anything freezes there. Food also freezes in the fridge door bay bins. We cannot keep lettuce in a Tupperware container anywhere in the fridge, because it freezes. Honey freezes anywhere and in the fridge door bay sits a bottle of olive oil that is completely frozen.
    Did the put the glass of water in the fridge overnight and test water temperature in morning couldn’t test the water because the friggin glass of water froze in 23 hrs, but I’m told my fridge is running normal and in the operating range, so it failed that test, And it failed the disconnect the thermistor test, as fridge was suppose to go up to 3c, (37.4F) and freezer to -13c, (8.6F),but no my fridge instead didn’t react, it was at -1c fridge and -12c freezer, 24 hrs later and fridge is at 1c, (33.8F), freezer -12c. (10.4F). A few days later thermistor is still disconnected we wake up with the fridge on -2c, freezer is still -12c. So again I continue to hear the same BS, my fridge is normal! They had changed out the thermistor and put it on the 2nd fin as norcold requires, before plugging in new thermistor fridge is at -2c and fridge is at -12c, 2.5 hrs later the fridge is now 2c, and freezer at -9c. (15.8F), 10 hrs go buy fridge climbs up to 4c (39.2F) and freezer drops all the way to -3c (26.6F) and sits on this for 2 hrs. At the 10 hr mark freezer slowly starts to go back up, three hrs later it reached -8c,(17.6F). I believe it was not until next day did it get back to -11c, (12.2F)? i forgot to write it down). So yes it failed a brand new thermistor test because it shouldn’t take 10 hrs to respond! But again all I hear is my fridge is acting normally! Wtf! Nothing normal about this! The freezer has never gotten any colder than -11c with a thermistor plugged in, and fridge has never been at 3c let alone 2c, until last week. So what do you think would happen if I turned the setting down to say 3 or 4, being the freezer cannot sustain -11c consistently, and rarely goes above it either, and it drops temperature all by itself randomly too. Oh I’m pretty confident my Freezer food would thaw. Imagine when it gets to be 70 to 75F outside? There is no way it would be able to hold -11c, it has no pattern and behaves possessed.
    So for three solid months I have been hounding and nagging, so to add to these failed tests i conducted my own, we kept the freezer door closed for 8 days solid. It all started After opening the freezer to remove food from a bag and replaced the item back in the freezer, it then dropped 4 degrees, 7.5 hrs later it then dropped to -4c (24.8F), All by itself folks! It took a whole week of not opening the freezer doors for the freezer to recover back up to -11c! Meanwhile during this test week, we wake up at 9am to find the fridge is on 3c (37.4F) holy cow thats a first! And get this it was not even opened yet, because you see even when we use the fridge and open it hourly to get the milk for coffee in the mornings, the fridge still manages to go to down to -1 and -2C by noon. Pretty ******-backwards eh? Now each day during this test week the freezer door stayed closed and the freezer toggled between -7c (19.4F) and -8c (17.6F), the next day -8,-9c (17.6-15.8F), slowly making its way toggling two digits each day until day 7 arrives. Touch down! -11c, the eagle has landed andbit only took a week with the freezer doors closed the whole time. Now in this week on test day 5 while the freezer toggles -9, -10c, at 8pm at night we find the fridge sitting on 3c! And the freezer is back down on -4c AGAIN. NO the fridge was not opened or loaded with groceries or anything different in fact it had not been opened in at least 2 hrs prior to grab a drink or something simple a quick open and close. Again temperatures outside for the whole week did not drop down to freezing, nor jump up to hot, 2c to 10c. (35.6-50F). But apparently this all in my head! Because I keep hearing that parrot recording “ your fridge is operating in normal temperature ranges. Oh but I’m the idiot here!
    So Instead of saying “well gee this really does sound like something screwy going on, I instead get the devils advocate attitude! “Well Norcold says your fridge is operating in normal parameters”.
    Okay finally after a 7 minute argument over someones “feelings” got hurt because I sent off an abrupt email, but it’s okay to have us be held like prisoners here waiting to get things fixed, basically put my life and plans on hold, for over 3 months now, while every week is another drag it out excuse! Omg, dish the frustration out but get yelled at when you push to far and I’m to apologize...oh no, instead my letter writing will eventually start reaching the big bosses, and when that happens people lose their jobs. Nothing is more infuriating than being treated unjustifiably and that pushes my buttons. I seriously have no more patience. So the circuit board is suppose to get replaced I pray that works because they only got till march 30, and well it took over 3 months to get this far, so things could then get ugly. Pray this works!

So anyone with the Norcold 2118 model, whats your setting dial on (1-9)? in what weather outside? And what is the fridge and freezer temperatures you get?

Lastly, has anyone ever gotten any documentation from Norcold about how these fridges should be functioning?
    In what temperature environment, on what setting number, and what fridge and freezer temperatures should be average range, and how long for this appliance to recover to these temperatures based on given other parameters? Like how many seconds the fridge was opened? How long to expect it to recover? Because if you noticed these fridges are the most talked about, disliked, and have the least information anywhere on how they should be properly functioning. Owners manual has no info on any of this, nothing on their website either. It has got to be one of the most vague manuals I’ve seen on a very expensive appliance. As an owner your basically left tinkering with the setting dial. Pretty ridiculous.
    2019, Solitude 375RES

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LovingIt View Post
    Thank you for your temperature ranges, what is the setting 1-9 your fridge is on? And what is the outside temperature typical on this setting that you are able to maintain these temperatures?
    My fridge will maintain the temps I posted on a setting of 5 when it's 32-60ish degrees out. In the hot Texas summer heat I set it at 8-9 and it will maintain similar temps. So sorry for all your troubles but that's the longest post I've ever seen lol.
    Jeff

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing about absorption refrigerators is that they are a very clear design in order to provide cooling, but in the zeal to provide cooling the designers completely forgot about thermodynamic principles when designing the actual food storage cabinet!!! Couple that with cheaply made parts and frustration ensues, but then depending upon how people use their refrigerator plus the ambient operating conditions outside AND inside the camper yield an entire spectrum of experiences! Once you get the parts replacement sorted, try what I explain hereinafter.

My fridge will maintain the temps I posted on a setting of 5 when it's 32-60ish degrees out. In the hot Texas summer heat I set it at 8-9 and it will maintain similar temps. So sorry for all your troubles but that's the longest post I've ever seen lol.
    This has been the same experience for Nikki and I, but with our specific addition of promoting airflow. The problem with this big of a model in the style of fridge is the complete lack of interior airflow circulation. Our residential refrigerators ALL have fans, but the RV world seems blinds to this! Without air circulation, the warmest temperature will be at the fins (since heat rises) and will keep the fridge overrunning the temperature, especially if the doors are frequently OR infrequently opened (not kidding). It really gets out of control when the fridge has called for enough chill to freeze food in front of the fins. Also, do you know that after the initial freeze, heat is given off?

Like I said, RV refrigerator designers totally forgot about designing the box... If you think about the design as it stands, you do not want your fruits and vegetables in the bottom as the drawer provisions have been made because that will be the coldest zone! Why is it different for a residential - simply check one for where the fan(s) are! My fancy one in the sticks and bricks has multiple fans because it is multiple drawer with separate climate zones.

Pack you refrigerator with the understanding of heat rises/cold falls versus the type of product and versus creating a sink or source - same premise as the days of packing a cooler to last for days. When you arrive at your destination, arrange your food away from the sidewalls of the unit so there is a clear path, top to bottom, along both sidewalls. You WILL be needing a fan in the fridge to help circulate. I cannot recommend one to you because I build/configure my own after I trial and error to optimize sizing and location through monitoring performance with wireless temperature sensors, but there are many out there on the retail market. I do not expect to have ours dialed in until this season's well underway and I have packed it out several times and camped the spectrum of ambient conditions.

Also, the Norcold, in my experience, needs every bit of that 72 hours startup they indicate until it is performing steadily so keep this in mind.

Hope these tips help!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob does your's not have interior fans? Mine does and they seem to work very well. I did experiment and moved the little sensor thingie over to the 3rd or 4th fin and that's when it started working much better, just a thought.
    Jeff

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob does your's not have interior fans? Mine does and they seem to work very well. I did experiment and moved the little sensor thingie over to the 3rd or 4th fin and that's when it started working much better, just a thought.
    No, ours does not. The Norcold has several configurations of the four door, and even in the PolarMax-series they have with and without interior fans. In the 2020 S-Class, GD put the base one in with no frills!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So anyone with the Norcold 2118 model, whats your setting dial on (1-9)? in what weather outside? And what is the fridge and freezer temperatures you get?
    Higher number on the controller is colder. 1 is warmest and 9 is coldest. In 75F and up daytime highs I run ours at 7. Runs constantly (until defrost cycle about every 42 hours). And I do mean constantly. If daytime high is in the 90~100F range temp in frig is mid-40F. Nightime low has to drop below 60 (preferably mid to low 50s) for the refrig to recover (rfrig in the upper 30sF). If the daytime highs are in the 40s (F), I can drop the controller back to 4 or 5 and our unit will cycle on & off as it should. If I leave it at "7" it will freeze food in the refrigerator.

Lastly, has anyone ever gotten any documentation from Norcold about how these fridges should be functioning?
    I have talked to the dealer (absolutely no help), Grand Design ( 1 out of three calls got me the helpful information of "make sure the deflector from the top of the unit to the top of the upper vent is in place and sealed" - that was it), and Norcold (again, three separate calls). They are not willing to give out any information other than to tell me "if it is cooling below the outside temp it is working fine". I did finally get one customer service person to say their internal spec is a max of 43F in the refrig, but would not tell me under what conditions.

I am very disappointed with our 2118 NeverCold and even more so with the (lack of) dealer, Grand Design and Norcold support. They just do not care. If it is hot outside, we buy a bag of ice every couple of days and put in the refirg to keep things cool.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 03-03-2020 at 11:54 AM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast