User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Solitude 2019, 375res, kitchen, dirt coming in on travel from slides somewhere.

Hi guys, I have a weird problem since day 1 with our solitude, we have now traveled 5 times, 4 hrs or more per each travel, and each and every single time I open the kitchen Fridge slide and table slide, before we can even walk inside I have to get the mop and mop the whole dam kitchen floor because it is covered in black fine dirt. I’m one of those people who vacuums the rugs, rolls them up vacuums the back of them while rolling them up, and vacuums the floor. If you walked in my home with your shoes on, ya won’t be walking again, lol. I like it clean so when we arrive at our destination I enjoy the rest of the day with an easy set up.
    Sooo, there is no wonder if a window, roof vent ect is left open causing this, absolutely no.
    I have not heard of any one else having this issue with a brand new trailer. This is our third trailer, the other two were TT, had one slide, but never had this problem with them!
    This is only a problem with the kitchen slides, no issue with living rm or bedrm slides.
    Now the dealer says they will order some type of foam that is to be mounted somewhere that is suppose to block air/ dirt from blowing in. This sounds like a bandaid fix to me and it’s very upsetting because the tech has no answer to why this is happening! So can anybody tell me if they had this problem, or have you heard of this bandaid fix? Is that common, typical?
    (Beyond frustrated because our fridge has never worked properly either, and the dealer is dragging this issue on and on making this a constant nagging issue! Thursday the oven part is suppose to finally be installed, as we have never used the oven yet too, part was supposed to been ordered back in november, but wasn’!) Sorry, I’m venting....I’m so sick of the talk and no action, and so I need to know more of what they should be doing to properly fix the travel dirt issue. Help..
    2019, Solitude 375RES
    2018, RAM 3500, Dually, Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, 4:10, AISIN

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @LovingIt, my guess and it is only a guess is the dirt is coming off the tires and is getting into the trailer between the bottom of the slide and the floor. There should be some kind of seal (flap) to close off this gap when the slide is retracted (the slide rides up and over the floor when it is retracted). Maybe that is missing on the one slide. With the slides retracted can you look up under the fender/tire area and see if there is a seal on one side but not the other? May help to put a flashlight inside the trailer pointing under the slide and see if you can see any light from outside. Just a thought.

In general, our 310GK does not do this. If we are on a dirt (dusty) road for a long while, we have dust all over the inside of the trailer. They are not completely sealed, but it sounds like your's should be better sealed.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like road grime. Does it smear by chance? Just wondering if it's diesel residue. Where is your truck exhaust and did you delete the truck? I only ask because I had a neighbor with his truck deleted and a monster pipe through the bed that blackened everything and made a mess of his trailer. Anyway, I'd look under the closed slides and make sure the seals are there and that you cannot see floor.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chris, thanks for insight, we are going to bring in the slides this evening, and do some flashlight testing, and hopefully we can see what the issue may be?
    I’ve been so flustered with the fridge issue that I couldn’t even get my head in the right direction for this issue. Really appreciate you getting the trouble shooting flowing. Your socks would be filthy black one walk through the kitchen after the slides extended, it’s a lot of dirt.
    (Apparently GD is now suppose to be calling me about the fridge issue, just got another email back, as I continue to nag the dealer...It would be nice if we know what needs to be done to the slide to fix this dirt issue because then I would like to get GD help on that too.).
    2019, Solitude 375RES

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Sounds like road grime. Does it smear by chance? Just wondering if it's diesel residue. Where is your truck exhaust and did you delete the truck? I only ask because I had a neighbor with his truck deleted and a monster pipe through the bed that blackened everything and made a mess of his trailer. Anyway, I'd look under the closed slides and make sure the seals are there and that you cannot see floor.
    No the dirt is just fine black dirt. Only once it was mixed with a lot of sand. The trucks tail pipe is on the passenger side, it points out side ways, it has to get past the trucks dually wheel guards plus the hitch dually wheel guard. Truck isn’t deleted. Truck purrs, love my truck! Sadly, I can’t say the same thing about my trailer... long list of issues, and the dragging on with the dealer, I’ve had zero excitement or love for this trailer, call it the lemon pie. in fact I keep pondering whether to get rid of it because we have yet to had one moment of bliss n it yet, without the worrying of ‘is this always going to be a problem?” I hint at it when talking with one of the staff at the dealers, because we pop in there regularly to nag, the guy says just wait til yours gets fixed first, meanwhile, we are stuck in BC, and cant go anywhere south like we were planning on. It’s the frustration of dragging it on and on, and the anxiety it gives me because we have to be back in calgary in spring and at this snails pace!
    So thanks for the idea, but i think we can rule that one out. I hope we can see the issue, so we will play german spotlight tonight, lol.
    2019, Solitude 375RES

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LovingIt View Post
    No the dirt is just fine black dirt. Only once it was mixed with a lot of sand. The trucks tail pipe is on the passenger side, it points out side ways, it has to get past the trucks dually wheel guards plus the hitch dually wheel guard. Truck isn’t deleted. Truck purrs, love my truck! Sadly, I can’t say the same thing about my trailer... long list of issues, and the dragging on with the dealer, I’ve had zero excitement or love for this trailer, call it the lemon pie. in fact I keep pondering whether to get rid of it because we have yet to had one moment of bliss n it yet, without the worrying of ‘is this always going to be a problem?” I hint at it when talking with one of the staff at the dealers, because we pop in there regularly to nag, the guy says just wait til yours gets fixed first, meanwhile, we are stuck in BC, and cant go anywhere south like we were planning on. It’s the frustration of dragging it on and on, and the anxiety it gives me because we have to be back in calgary in spring and at this snails pace!
    So thanks for the idea, but i think we can rule that one out. I hope we can see the issue, so we will play german spotlight tonight, lol.
    Just had to ask!

Question for you. Have you engaged Grand Design directly because it sounds like your dealer is a little flat-footed... Some polite conversation might help turn the tide and get some acceleration towards a resolution.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LovingIt View Post
    ... Apparently GD is now suppose to be calling me about the fridge issue, just got another email back, as I continue to nag the dealer....
    Good luck on both issues. I hope you get them resolved. On the refrigerator, if it is the RV, not residential version just search "Norcold 2118" (search box is in the upper right portion of each page). Lots of people are not happy with their units lack of cooling performance, myself included. Some have had great success with theirs. So hard to say, different units have widely different performance or different expectation, or different operating conditions, or ????? Let us know what you find on both issues.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry to hear of your 375 troubles LovingIt. My 2019 375 definitely does not have this issue, it has to be a slide seal missing or torn. That's the only thing I can think of that would let dirt inside only in that area. What about brake dust, are your rims covered with it after a tow? Maybe the brakes are adjusted a little too tight and throwing off excessive dust and getting in the slide seal. As far as the fridge I wasn't too crazy about mine either but I read on here about moving the clip and wire inside the fridge over a couple of fins and that did the trick. Mine will maintain 33-36 in the fridge and 0-5 degrees in the freezer now. You might try that.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    So sorry to hear of your 375 troubles LovingIt. My 2019 375 definitely does not have this issue, it has to be a slide seal missing or torn. That's the only thing I can think of that would let dirt inside only in that area. What about brake dust, are your rims covered with it after a tow? Maybe the brakes are adjusted a little too tight and throwing off excessive dust and getting in the slide seal. As far as the fridge I wasn't too crazy about mine either but I read on here about moving the clip and wire inside the fridge over a couple of fins and that did the trick. Mine will maintain 33-36 in the fridge and 0-5 degrees in the freezer now. You might try that.
    Hi, about the dirt coming in, i took a couple of pictures two nights ago, its the dining table is mostly the culprit, underneath worst side is corner where stairs are, (shoe storage), i’llcome back and post pics, and the fridge- tech was here again today because now they need to test the new fridge thermistor on the 2nd fin, because another tech put it on the 4 or 5th fin, and norcold is saying “has to be on the 2nd fin, for the 2118 model!” ( yet i keep reading others are being told to move it along a couple of fins and it solves their problem, so some things are making me wonder like what??? But later tomorrow tech coming back so i’ ll know more later. . Problem is freezer goes from -5c to -11c, and fridge is -1c to +1c mostly sits at -1c and yes food keeps freezing in fridge. Anyway, i’m taking notes as this goes along, and will come back to this to post more in couple of days, no time tonight. Thanks, will appreciate your thoughts moving forward.
    2019, Solitude 375RES

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really want to see some pics of the area where the dirt is showing up, can't imagine how it's getting in there. Even after spending a week in mine last fall I barely had to sweep it, it's pretty dust free and a good doormat catches most tracked in dirt.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast