Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I edited the original post to show Rear Stabilizers, not landing gear. Jim

Ginnie is doing great. Thanks for asking.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all fairness to GD the leaking seals are the fault of Lippert. GD like any other manufacture orders the frames for each trailer. The axle assemblies come preassembled. I don't know if GD bolts the axles to the frames or if they're delivered installed. Either way GD has nothing to do with the lubing.
    What's disturbing is that this same issue has been cropping up lately with Dexter and AL-CO axles. Maybe a bad batch of seals floating around to all 3 axle builders.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I left a message for the GD customer service line a little while ago, but while waiting for a return call, I worked on trying to retract the stabilizers. I ran the curb side slide out which gave me access to the manual crank shaft through the frame. Unfortunately, the shaft was not aligned with the hole in the frame. After a lot of trial and error and some gentle nudging, I was able to finally get the crank handle onto the shaft. It was a pretty tight fit, but I was able to manually crank the stabilizers back into their "up" position. At first, I had to do 1/2 turn on the handle before it would hit the bottom of the slide out, then turn the handle 180 degrees and do another 1/2 turn. After a while, it appeared that the manual shaft moved into the proper position and I was able to do full turns with the handle. It took 185 full turns to get the stabilizers all the way up, but at least that hurdle is overcome. I did some more checking, and the switch that controls the stabilizers is completely broken. It will no longer allow you to extend or retract them electronically. I'm hoping I can get a new switch from GD and resolve this issue.

As for the bearings. I realize that GD purchases a complete assembly from Lippert. In fact, upon closer examination, the grease seals are manufactured in China and have the Dexter brand name on them. It would be interesting to know how many of these have already failed and been detected, how many have failed and not been detected, and how many are primed for future failure. It sure seems to me like this is a safety issue that should be pursued by GD, Lippert, Dexter, or somebody.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know Jim. Thanks for passing this along. How did the switch brake? I never liked the location of that stab switch. I put a piece of inner tube over it and made a rubber flap to try and keep some of the dirt and grime out of it.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim:

Sorry about the problems. Did you get a return call from Customer Service and did you resolve your issues? I'm copying Jerry McCarthy on this so he is in the loop.

Merry Christmas!

Bill Fenech

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fenech View Post
    Hi Jim:

Sorry about the problems. Did you get a return call from Customer Service and did you resolve your issues? I'm copying Jerry McCarthy on this so he is in the loop.

Merry Christmas!

Bill Fenech
    Today is Christmas eve and Bill Fenech is responding himself. That's one reason why I'm glad I own a GD. The other reasons: We think our 303 is awesome!, GD Customer Service {Dean} has been great to deal with.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fenech View Post
    Hi Jim:

Merry Christmas!

Bill Fenech
    Bill - I appreciate your response. Merry Christmas to you too. I've made contact with JD in customer service. No work has been done yet. He said he'd reimburse me for the brake assemblies once I order them and send the invoice. I'll take care of this as soon as I return home from the holidays. I also sent him an e-mail requesting a new stabilizer switch, and I'm awaiting a response. I made alternate travel plans for the holidays that did not involve using our RV in order to allow time to make it safe for the road. Once it's okay to tow, I'll have to turn it over to the dealer for a lengthy list of items that need to get repaired while it's still in warranty. These include delaminating cabinets, a stuck drain valve, defective plastic strips on the slide out that hold the propane line, the awning coming loose, fender access holes that need to be drilled, and others. In addition, I still need the dealer to resolve damage to an interior panel they caused by an employee that had a leaking pen in her pocket. I'm sure hoping to have all repairs completed and ready for the road by March. My warranty runs out on March 24th.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, did you figure out how that danged stab switch broke? I am hoping the work-around put in will keep it from dirt/grime but if there is something else that could be done to keep that switch from getting broke, I am willing to try it.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dean - I received the new switch from GD (Thanks JD). I pulled the rocker cover off of the old switch to determine the failure mode. There is a plastic shaft molded to the rocker cover that broke off inside the switch. I've included photos of the defective switch and the rocker cover for the new switch. There was no evidence of dirt or other contamination that led to the failure. Also, the wires on the old switch are not labeled, so make sure you label them if you ever change them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switch.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	1200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rocker cover.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	1201

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Dean - I received the new switch from GD (Thanks JD). I pulled the rocker cover off of the old switch to determine the failure mode. There is a plastic shaft molded to the rocker cover that broke off inside the switch. I've included photos of the defective switch and the rocker cover for the new switch. There was no evidence of dirt or other contamination that led to the failure. Also, the wires on the old switch are not labeled, so make sure you label them if you ever change them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switch.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	1200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rocker cover.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	1201

Got it.....good to know. Thanks for posting that!
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast