Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Poor Quality Bites Me Again

Okay so I'm venting, but I'm getting very frustrated that I have to do repairs nearly everytime I want to move this rig. It appears that this unit is becoming more unreliable than my Keystone Cougar, and that is saying a lot! Maybe I'm the exception, and I have a lemon, but wow - the list of what has gone wrong with this unit is very, very long.

So, we were planning a short trip over the holidays so it was time for a little Preventive Maintenance. I decide to clean and repack the wheel bearings on my 337. When I removed the first wheel, it was apparent that the grease seals have failed, and the brake shoes, brake drums, magnets and wiring are covered in grease. I looked at the inner portion of the other three wheels, and they are covered in grease too. Now, I'll have to replace the seals and shoes. I may as well just replace the whole brake assembly and put in self adjusting brakes which should have done in the first place.

The landing gear (edit: rear stabilizers) is stuck in the down position and there is no response when I push the button. If I toggle the landing gear switch to extend, it works fine. I just can't retract them. So "do it manually" you say? That would be okay BUT, you failed to drill the hole in the fender skirt so I can put the handle through and access the head of the manual shaft.

Please understand I can't take the FW to the dealer with the landing gear (edit: rear stabilizers) stuck in the down position. Not only that, I don't feel safe towing this unit in traffic when the brakes are saturated in grease.

So how can you help me? I'm willing to do the work, so:

1. Provide a listing of the part numbers I need to replace the grease seals. I'd suggest that we not go with the original manufacturer of the seals since they appear to have multiple quality defects.
    2. Provide new brake assemblies or the correct part numbers for them so I can purchase them. It would be nice if they were self adjusting.
    3. Provide suggestions on how to retract the landing gear (edit: rear stabilizers). Should I replace the switch?

Also, I have a lengthy list of other defects that need repair. I'll get to those as soon as I work through these critical issues. And that trip over the holidays appears to be off the table.

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 12-16-2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: made corrections

krisbc1
    There is a small circuit breaker in the front storage, you may jump it to get you going in a pinch,Jumping it will tell if that is the problem. true repair is to replace.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response. But it's not apparently a circuit breaker problem. There is power to the switch. It works fine in extending the landing gear. But while attempting to retract the gear, the switch doesn't appear to be making contact. I tried to access the back of the switch so I could jumper it, but unfortunately, it's covered in a foam like material and the wires are so short it's difficult to get to. I'm hoping that the GD folks will have encountered this before and can give me specific instructions to get the gear up. If they don't respond here in a reasonable time, I'll give them call tomorrow. BTW, did you know the landing gear systems are different between a Solitude and Reflection? The Solitude has hydraulics, and the Reflection is electro/mechanical.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

This is distressing to hear. Both the immediate problem with the landing gear and the bigger problem with the bearing grease on the brakes. I hope GD steps up to both of these ASAP. I am not at my trailer to check, but I would expect the drive motor to have three wires going into it. Forward, reverse and ground. You can figure out ground with an ohm meter to the frame. Jumping battery power to one or the other of the remaining two wires should drive the gear up and down.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim,

This is distressing to hear. Both the immediate problem with the landing gear and the bigger problem with the bearing grease on the brakes. I hope GD steps up to both of these ASAP. I am not at my trailer to check, but I would expect the drive motor to have three wires going into it. Forward, reverse and ground. You can figure out ground with an ohm meter to the frame. Jumping battery power to one or the other of the remaining two wires should drive the gear up and down.

Rob
    Thanks Rob. Trouble shooting shouldn't be too hard, except the motor is up under the bottom panel which will have to be dropped to access it. Also, I believe there is different landing gear between the 303 and the 337.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm . . . I was thinking that 303 and 337 would be similar. I recall that I can see the landing gear drive mechanism across the top of the forward storage compartment on my 303.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is the rear landing gear which is just aft of the rear axle.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about these issues Jim. I don't think that the problem will be at the motor as it's able to operate in one direction...I think it will be a wiring connection at the switch. If it's the same as the front gear I think there's only two wires to the motor and the polarity is reversed at the switch. Are you able to retract them manually with a ratchet and 3/4" socket?

I was wondering about the bearing seals on mine too as I find the brakes a little lame but haven't checked them yet.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two wires is even easier . . . one way is up and the other way is down.
    When you said "landing gear" . . . I just assumed "front" rather than "stabilizers".
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang...hate to hear this. Keep us in the loop. Would be interested to know.

I need to check my brakes....controller is at 7.5 now.

How is the wife doing?
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast