Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tortise View Post
    Simplest, most straightforward weight calculator I've seen, Thanks,
    Thanks for the weight calculator - I have looked at several, most are overly complex and confusing

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when staying near a CAT scale I'll weigh our truck the night before departure after filling the fuel tank. Then the next morning I'll weigh the truck and trailer together on the way out of town. That way, you get actually travelling weights and the second weigh is discounted because its within 24 hours. The CAT scale app is also very convenient for paying.
    Bill & Lisa
    2013 Ford F350 Platinum diesel
    2018 Reflection 303rls

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So for a travel trailer, to get the tongue weight, I should weigh the truck and camper together, and then just the truck by itself? The truck weight subtracted from the weight of the trailer and trucked connected will give me my tongue weight?
    2020 Imagine Mk2670
    Tow vehicle - 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6L Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisopy View Post
    So for a travel trailer, to get the tongue weight, I should weigh the truck and camper together, and then just the truck by itself? The truck weight subtracted from the weight of the trailer and trucked connected will give me my tongue weight?
    the difference in your drive axle weights will be your tongue weight.
    Bill & Lisa
    2013 Ford F350 Platinum diesel
    2018 Reflection 303rls

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NASCAR9 View Post
    A - Need weight of tow vehicle by it self
    B - Tow vehicle + 5th wheel together

B drive axle weight - A drive axle weight = Pin weight.

I agree with question 2 above if you are within the capacity of the axles.
    Plus you add any weight that was removed from the front axle numbers of the original weight ticket for the truck only
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    Let's get this out of the way first... I'm a math geek.🤫

The apps may be nice, but I think it's important to understand how things work behind the scenes.

Each truck axle should be weighed (unhooked). Then reweigh while hooked up. You will get a weight for steer, drive and trailer. All of this should be done at the same configuration. ( Same fuel load, partner, dog etc.) If you change more than one thing at a time, you don't know what changed what.

From that you can calculate the change on each truck axle and know the weight on the pair of trailer axles.

This is important because you need to know how you compare to each and all of several different things:

FRONT GAWR
    REAR GAWR
    TRUCK GVWR
    TRAILER GAWR
    TRAILER GVWR
    GCWR

If you collect all of these numbers you may see some unexpected changes. For example, my fifth wheel hitch is slightly forward of the rear axle. Sometimes I get an increase on my steer axle sometimes I don't. The increase is apparently less than the resolution of the scale (usually 10 or 20 lb).

Also, for the TT pullers, you may be surprised how much lighter your trailer makes the steer axle.... Yet you may be over drive axle GAWR.

I would suggest to @av8er79 that you keep asking questions here until you fully understand all of the implications.
    And that ^^^ is why you do three weighs when pulling a tow behind trailer. Truck and trailer on the scale with W.D. hitch set to whatever spring setting you think it needs to be. Then, while still on the scale, release all the tension on the spring bars and re-weigh. Then, drive off the scale and unhook the trailer from the truck and weigh the truck only. The result is all the numbers you need to get your weights...AND how effective or ineffective your W.D. hitch is set up.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Plus you add any weight that was removed from the front axle numbers of the original weight ticket for the truck only
    I'm guessing that takes into account releasing the tension of the spring bars as @xrated stated below?
    2020 Imagine Mk2670
    Tow vehicle - 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6L Gas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12