User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weighing on a CAT Scale?

So I have done this once with my last trailer. It gives you steer axle, drive axle, and trailer axle weights. It simply adds them up to give you Gross Weight which is no doubt nice to know.

My questions are:

1. There is a tongue with on the 5th wheel that is combined into the drive axle, so without actually unhooking the trailer you are not getting an accurate gross weight correct?
    2. If you are towing pretty level is it really necessary to split the trailer axles on two different scales to get each axle weight?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Requires second weigh of just the truck , steer and drive axles. You calculate pin weight by subtracting 2nd drive axle weight from the first. Then Pin weight plus trailer axle give gross weight of trailer as loaded.
    2. Normally a cat scale weight will not give individual trailer axle weights. I guess you could do a third weight and try to put the trailer axles on separate sections of the scale. Best is to go to a rally where you can get individual wheel weights done if you are concerned.
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A - Need weight of tow vehicle by it self
    B - Tow vehicle + 5th wheel together

B drive axle weight - A drive axle weight = Pin weight.

I agree with question 2 above if you are within the capacity of the axles.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See above good info ... when done plug in here will do it all for you http://www.towingplanner.com/ActualW...WheelCatScales later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
    See above good info ... when done plug in here will do it all for you http://www.towingplanner.com/ActualW...WheelCatScales later Frank
    Simplest, most straightforward weight calculator I've seen, Thanks,
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A minor correction:
    Total weight on truck axles (both) with trailer attached - total weight on truck axles (both) without trailer = pin weight.

Thereafter:
    pin weight + trailer axle weight = total trailer weight --> compare against trailer GVWR.
    Total weight on truck axles (both) with trailer attached --> compare against truck GVWR.
    Individual truck axle weights --> compare against GAWR values.
    trailer axle weight --> compare against combined trailer GAWR values
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want your individual axle weights, you should be able to split them on platforms during a first weigh, or you can slip them during a reweigh which only costs a few more dollars.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The app is really nice btw.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's get this out of the way first... I'm a math geek.🤫

The apps may be nice, but I think it's important to understand how things work behind the scenes.

Each truck axle should be weighed (unhooked). Then reweigh while hooked up. You will get a weight for steer, drive and trailer. All of this should be done at the same configuration. ( Same fuel load, partner, dog etc.) If you change more than one thing at a time, you don't know what changed what.

From that you can calculate the change on each truck axle and know the weight on the pair of trailer axles.

This is important because you need to know how you compare to each and all of several different things:

FRONT GAWR
    REAR GAWR
    TRUCK GVWR
    TRAILER GAWR
    TRAILER GVWR
    GCWR

If you collect all of these numbers you may see some unexpected changes. For example, my fifth wheel hitch is slightly forward of the rear axle. Sometimes I get an increase on my steer axle sometimes I don't. The increase is apparently less than the resolution of the scale (usually 10 or 20 lb).

Also, for the TT pullers, you may be surprised how much lighter your trailer makes the steer axle.... Yet you may be over drive axle GAWR.

I would suggest to @av8er79 that you keep asking questions here until you fully understand all of the implications.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by av8er79 View Post
    So I have done this once with my last trailer. It gives you steer axle, drive axle, and trailer axle weights. It simply adds them up to give you Gross Weight which is no doubt nice to know.

My questions are:

1. There is a tongue with on the 5th wheel that is combined into the drive axle, so without actually unhooking the trailer you are not getting an accurate gross weight correct?
    2. If you are towing pretty level is it really necessary to split the trailer axles on two different scales to get each axle weight?
    Weights should be done with truck and camper loaded ready to camp ... need truck weight front and rear axle it will be clear where to put the tires .... then hook up and weight the rig again it will be clear where the 3 scales are to get the front/rear and camper weight ... put the numbers in here http://www.towingplanner.com/ActualW...WheelCatScales and you will know where you are against all of you capacities ..... take a look at the link and it shows each capacity you should not exceed ... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast