User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Advice on hitch arm positioning

Anyone here own a 260RD, late model RAM 3500 with 6'4" bed and a B&W Companion hitch? If so, how did you position the arms on the hitch so you have proper bed height clearance. I'm putting the hitch in my 2019 RAM 3500 now and would like to have it set properly to pickup our new 260RD next week. TIA!
    Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Ford F150 Lariat PowerBoost Supercrew 4x4 with 7.2kW generator
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only a guess ... 2 or 3 from top ..... truck is not going to squat much .... probably 3 hole down from top ... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearii View Post
    Anyone here own a 260RD, late model RAM 3500 with 6'4" bed and a B&W Companion hitch? If so, how did you position the arms on the hitch so you have proper bed height clearance. I'm putting the hitch in my 2019 RAM 3500 now and would like to have it set properly to pickup our new 260RD next week. TIA!
    I would agree with Frank. You're probably looking at a pin weight somewhere in the neighbor of 1700# pin weight given an unloaded pin weight of 1325#, so they say. Not much weight for your 3500 and it wont squat much. You might start with the lower height hitch adjustment, like position 1. See if the RV is level then measure your bed clearance. If you've got 6 inches, you're good. If not try the middle adjustment.
    Do you need a slider companion hitch for cab clearance?

I also run with the companion hitch. In my case I could have a potentially heavy Pin. The hitch is positioned directly over the rear axle and set to the highest adjustment, lets call it position 3. My medium loaded pin weight is 2850# on an advertised unloaded pin weight of 2378#. My bed clearance is 7.5 inches. Truck squats about 1 inch. Medium loaded I am a tad high in the RV nose, but when we load heavy it should be closer to level. Mine is long bed.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 02-19-2020 at 11:36 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    I would agree with Frank. You're probably looking at a pin weight somewhere in the neighbor of 1700# pin weight given an unloaded pin weight of 1325#, so they say. Not much weight for your 3500 and it wont squat much. You might start with the lower height hitch adjustment, like position 1. See if the RV is level then measure your bed clearance. If you've got 6 inches, your good. If not try the middle adjustment.
    Do you need a slider companion hitch for cab clearance?

I also run with the companion hitch. In my case I could have a potentially heavy Pin. The hitch is positioned directly over the rear axle and set to the highest adjustment, lets call it position 3. My medium loaded pin weight is 2850# on an advertised unloaded pin weight of 2378#. My bed clearance is 7.5 inches. Truck squats about 1 inch. Medium loaded I am a tad high in the RV nose, but when we load heavy it should be closer to level. Mine is long bed.
    Thanks for the input. The truck can tow this little 5er in it's sleep with almost 3x the payload of the dry pin weight. However, you know how it goes, we started with a TT as weekenders, went fulltime with a 41' motorhome, eventually bought another house and downsized to this 260RD, who's to say we don't end up going up a bit in size in a couple of years? Hopefully the truck will handle the next choice just fine as well. I really wanted a truck with adaptive cruise, unfortunately the Limited in the 2500 series put the payload to close for my comfort, love the 3500!

I am not using a slider hitch. The 260RD comes with a Turning Point hitch. It puts the turning point about 22" rearward but keeps the weight on the hitch. I did all the measurements Lippert recommended to determine if I have enough clearance and it seems like I should have no problem with getting to 90 degrees if needed.

Do you use the alt trailer height function at all? How does that help with the nose height of the 5er?
    Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Ford F150 Lariat PowerBoost Supercrew 4x4 with 7.2kW generator
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearii View Post
    Thanks for the input. The truck can tow this little 5er in it's sleep with almost 3x the payload of the dry pin weight. However, you know how it goes, we started with a TT as weekenders, went fulltime with a 41' motorhome, eventually bought another house and downsized to this 260RD, who's to say we don't end up going up a bit in size in a couple of years? Hopefully the truck will handle the next choice just fine as well. I really wanted a truck with adaptive cruise, unfortunately the Limited in the 2500 series put the payload to close for my comfort, love the 3500!

I am not using a slider hitch. The 260RD comes with a Turning Point hitch. It puts the turning point about 22" rearward but keeps the weight on the hitch. I did all the measurements Lippert recommended to determine if I have enough clearance and it seems like I should have no problem with getting to 90 degrees if needed.

Do you use the alt trailer height function at all? How does that help with the nose height of the 5er?
    Oh thats right I forgot about that turning point hitch. Yup I know how it goes with RVs and trucks. When you say alt trailer height function are you speaking of the Ram air ride truck suspension? If so we don't have it on our truck, don't need it, extremely happy without it.

I set our companion hitch a little high right off because our RV model has a huge full width front closet, washer and dryer capable if we so choose to buy them and install later in the closet, and also a lot of weight will get put up front in the interior closet/under bed and up front in the external storage compartments. I weighed it with 1/3 full fresh water in the tank which is back by the rear RV axle so at the time of weighing we were 600# heavier on the rear RV axle than the front. Now with loading the front of the RV heavier once we go full time it should balance everything out front to back and bring the RV nose down a little. Yup is can be a balancing act with these RVs. In any event our Ram tows the RV like a dream.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel