User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info!

Looks like the long bed will win. We’ll only use it for towing and we have plenty of room in the garage. We have a long bed now and we’re fine with the parking issues. We just need the Diesel engine. It’s pretty slow going up hills with v10.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you start studying the matter more closely, you'll find a distinct separation with weekend warriors versus long-hauler and full-time campers. The weekend warriors tend to have short beds as they use the truck daily for other needs and their travel range is small. So it is a compromise. Those of us who run long distances for camping weeks at a time or are full-timers, are more likely to have the long bed and usually DRW.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Short bed here, and as above, we are weekend warriors. Our trips are around 3 hours average away. It is a compromise to an extent, but not really an issue. Yet. I don't really want to go long bed if I don't have to. I have to much woodworking stuff in the garage and a long bed would require moving stuff around, including a rather large cabinet table saw, so there's another compromise.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 377mbs and pull it with a short bed Ram 3500 DRW. I prefer the short bed configuration as the truck has a shorter overall length. I put in a pullrite 24k superglide with 18” of travel and never worry about hitting my cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on you, and your needs, preferences and things like are you going to put in your garage, etc. My truck is also my daily driver. I had an F350CCSB and was great. Highly recommend a slider hitch with a short bed truck - loved our Demco autoslider, but it is heavy and pretty much stayed in the bed at all times under the tonneau.

We started discussing what we wanted in the future with our 5th wheel, and think we want to end up in a year or two with a Momentum. Given the weight, and pin weight requirements of such a move, I bought an F450 late last fall. The turning radius and maneuverability of an F450 is better than my F350CCSB given the wide-track front end I enjoy driving it daily, but you likely won't see me taking the F450 downtown, through a drive-through or a car washes. I am also lucky of our oversize garage, as even a long-bed dually fits in with plenty of room to spare.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some very good points as far as weekend vs longer trips. smaller bed length normally equals smaller fuel tanks...
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    Some very good points as far as weekend vs longer trips. smaller bed length normally equals smaller fuel tanks...
    This is a good point. On the Ram it’s 31 gallons vs 32, I’m not sure on the Ford or GM products.

2018 Solitude 377MBS

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mraplx View Post
    This is a good point. On the Ram it’s 31 gallons vs 32, I’m not sure on the Ford or GM products.

That was the one bug-a-boo I had with our 2018 crew cab long bed Ram, smaller fuel tank. Its 32 gallons but diesel. My old 2002 Dodge Ram club cab short bed has a 34 gallon diesel tank. Still thinking about one day installing an aux diesel tank in the bed of our 2018.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know many owners want to keep their truck in their garage. Here in Texas with our hot sun I don't blame them. Our house with its attached 2 car garage seems was built with small cars in mind. Our 2002 Dodge Ram club cab short bed SRW barely fits thru the door (height and width) with mirrors folded in. No way will our 2018 long bed crew cab DRW even begin to clear the garage door but it was what we needed to appropriately tow our rig. We put up a metal car port to keep the new Ram under. I think it was @ $1500. But then again we have about 2 acres and no land restrictions. The car port is anchored into the ground with rods augured down into the ground and supports cemented into the ground and bolted to the up rights. Does a good job of protecting against the hot Texas sun and hail storms.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    Good point indeed. When I first picked up the F450, the "700mi until empty" showing on the dash put a grin on my face. Granted, that was before any real data to compute, but is nice to have the 48gal tank which is an extra 14gal of diesel over the F350CCSB. Can always add a Titan aftermarket tank though.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast