Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had an Interstate battery in our 2016 303rls when we bought it used 3 years ago. The punch out date was not punched so I'm not sure of the exact age. It is a group 24-DP marine/ rv and it is still going strong. I have really been amazed how well it has held up but, I always carry an extra on long trips so if I have a problem I've got a back up. I have a trolling motor on the boat so it's always available. I think the Interstate is a pretty good battery and would buy one to replace the current but, probably get a deep cell when I do.
    Last edited by ksbowman; 02-20-2020 at 08:30 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    I've used the Costco batteries for a bit now. Had 2 in my old 5th for a couple of years, and this past summer put two into my Imagine. So no feedback about long term life. But, for the use I put them to, they have to-date been just fine. Best ever for lead acid is probably Trojan - put you get to pay for them. Costco is nearby for me, and they are pretty generous in their policies for replacement. But at $99 each, my expectations aren't huge. I couldn't find anything on-line about the Napa's. Verify what rate they use for the RC. Interstate uses the 20amp rate, which inflates the numbers. Many others use the rate at 25 amps. So if Napa is using the 25 amp rate, they are actually a lot better than the Costco's. Don't forget the "core charge" both places will tag you for, also - unless you can find a couple of old batteries to turn in at the same time you buy new. Yes, it is best if the two batteries are as close to exactly the same as can be, including the date of manufacture.

You didn't mention what RV this was for. On my Imagine, converting to 2 6v also meant: Two battery boxes (I looked at double boxes, but it was clear there was no hope of fitting between the existing rails. But it turned out the single boxes were also 1/8" too wide, also...). A board cut to fit between the rails, so I could mount the boxes. Bolts/screws and drills to mount the board, and mount the boxes to the board. Wire and lugs, as the existing was not long enough. A big crimper to get the lugs on the wire. A big cutter to cut the big wire. Not a hard project, but not just "drop and go", either. Labor and the rest may have been part of the costs built into the price of the second battery, especially if they intended to cut/reweld the rails to do a professional job of mounting. A fifth wheel will have its own challenges being retrofit. Again, not hard, but there will be time and labor to do it.

If you do decide to DIY, either plan on just accepting whatever they give you for 12v power and replacing it. Or get a very minimal discount for not including it, and plan on bringing your own 12v to get you home. Highly unlikely you would be able to get 2 6v put in by you in their lot, on the day you pick it up.
    It will be for an Imagine XLS 22RBE, i believe NAPA uses the 20amp rate as well.
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think about it. A good 6V battery costs about $125 or (2) for around $250. Add $15 worth of cables and $20 worth of battery boxes plus (1) hour labor and that is a fair price (less the cost of the 12V battery). So around $350 is a fair upgrade price if done at a dealership. More than that and it is better to do it yourself. NOT hard to do at all.

When we bought our lightly used 310GK, it had two 6V batteries in it. When it was delivered it had a single 12V battery in it. I refused the unit until they put in (2) new 6V batteries and reversed the downgrade they tried to pass off on me.
    Last edited by JColeman; 02-20-2020 at 10:37 AM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go the Costco route, you can return the battery for any issues up to day 364 without issue.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI there are only four manufacturers of flooded deep cycle batteries and four that make absorbed glass mat batteries. Three I know of are Deka, Exide and Johnson Controls.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    new camper pickup in October, our dealer put in a Napa battery and I asked for a second matching battery. They obliged for $300 which included the install and battery box. They screwed the box down perpendicular to the GD box which gave no room for stuff in the front storage. I have since moved the box to the back in line with the GD box and put in a small inverter all tied together.

Careful out there! If you put in a second battery, you loose your venting. On a regular, cheaper, flooded deep cycle, it does off-gas some hydrogen. I really don't know the danger level, I just removed the hose from the GD box (which they drilled holes in the top to connect the second battery anyway!) which lets that storage compartment breath a bit out the existing vent. I doubt it will blow up.
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a website "The 12 volt side of life" that is an excellent tutorial and reference for basic 12 volt camping ops. I don't know how well they have kept pace with the seemingly daily progressions in solar technology but they know exactly how to handle the basic level system and make it understandable for newbies.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we bought our 2020 Solitude 310gk last Aug we had them install 2 6v Interstate batteries in a new battery box for $200. I also added another set of Interstate 6v batteries from Costco in parallel to give us about 430ah of capacity. The batteries have performed well on our recent 5 month cross country trip, including 2 weeks of boondocking at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta.
    2019 Ford F350 6.7L Lariat DRW
    B&W Companion OEM hitch
    2020 Solitude 310GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
    Your dealer only installed ONE 6 volt battery? At a minimum there should have been 2 6 volt batteries or a single 12 volt. If what you do choose isn't a close match (very close) one battery will in effect kill the other.
    Sorry but that is incorrect. If the two are in series and the combined voltage is 12.5-12.8 fully charged, then as you use their power the weaker one will diminish in voltage quicker. Therefore, the combined voltage will start to drop. Just the fact that they are connected in series does not harm the higher rated battery but you'll be limited by the weaker one. This is not the same for batteries connected in parallel as they then are always trying to remain at the same voltage and a weaker one will drag the other one down.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Title

Quote Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
    Your dealer only installed ONE 6 volt battery? At a minimum there should have been 2 6 volt batteries or a single 12 volt. If what you do choose isn't a close match (very close) one battery will in effect kill the other.
    Sorry but that is incorrect. If the two are in series and the combined voltage is 12.5-12.8 fully charged, then as you use their power the weaker one will diminish in voltage quicker. Therefore, the combined voltage will start to drop. Just the fact that they are connected in series does not harm the higher rated battery but you'll be limited by the weaker one. This is not the same for batteries connected in parallel as they then are always trying to remain at the same voltage and a weaker one will drag the other one down.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast