Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interstate or NAPA

Dealer wants to charge us $600 for an extra 6volt battery as they only include one. I said no thanks! I looked at the interstate batteries @ Costco for $99 but they don't seem to have good reviews. I can get one @ NAPA, group size GC2 w/215AH for $125 since i get a cash discount thru my work. Anyone have any experience with either one of these? Do both batteries if wired in series have to have the same amp hours? This will be our first TT so new to all of this.
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your dealer only installed ONE 6 volt battery? At a minimum there should have been 2 6 volt batteries or a single 12 volt. If what you do choose isn't a close match (very close) one battery will in effect kill the other.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
    Your dealer only installed ONE 6 volt battery? At a minimum there should have been 2 6 volt batteries or a single 12 volt. If what you do choose isn't a close match (very close) one battery will in effect kill the other.
    two different dealers we went to here in the state said they only include (1) 6V battery. Welcome to Washington State!
    Jason & Jamie
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsman3 View Post
    two different dealers we went to here in the state said they only include (1) 6V battery. Welcome to Washington State!

Sorry, but I think you misunderstood. The dealer should include one 12V battery. A single 6V battery is worthless as all of the DC equipment in the trailer is 12v. If a dealer is really saying the trailer include only a single 6V battery, they are tring to cheat you (and the brakes would not meet DOT requirements!). You need either multiple of 2s 6V batteries (ie. 2, 4,6, 8) or any number of 12V batteries (1,2,3,4, etc.)

If you are running multiple batteries, they really need to all be the same. Not just type but brand, model (AHr., series, voltage, etc.), and ideally the same manufacturing date and time in service (i.e. installed at the same time). This will give you the longest life from your batteries. Also, if you are using lead acid batteries, try not to run them below 50% (half) charge for the longest life.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dealer wants to charge us $600 for an extra 6volt battery as they only include one. I said no thanks! I looked at the interstate batteries @ Costco for $99 but they don't seem to have good reviews. I can get one @ NAPA, group size GC2 w/215AH for $125 since i get a cash discount thru my work. Anyone have any experience with either one of these? Do both batteries if wired in series have to have the same amp hours? This will be our first TT so new to all of this.

I think Interstate is a good, mid-range battery. There are better (but more expensive) and there are much worse. When we purchased our Solitude in 2018, I checked into having the dealer replace (actual just not install) the single 12V battery with two 6V (Interstate GC2) batteries including a new (2nd) battery box and jumper cable. I was getting quotes of just over $300. As they were saving the cost of the 12V battery I thought this was to high and passed on it.

Note: The dealer provides and installs the battery (and fills the propane) as part of selling the trailer (this is required by Grand Design). Grand Design provides the battery box(s) and cabling, but not the battery.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way any dealer will do this. You will not be able to hitch the RV toa truck, move the slides, have lights, AC or furnace. If you plug the rig into shore power there is a good chance of fire or explosion.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Sorry, but I think you misunderstood. The dealer should include one 12V battery. A single 6V battery is worthless as all of the DC equipment in the trailer is 12v. If a dealer is really saying the trailer include only a single 6V battery, they are tring to cheat you (and the brakes would not meet DOT requirements!). You need either multiple of 2s 6V batteries (ie. 2, 4,6, 8) or any number of 12V batteries (1,2,3,4, etc.)

If you are running multiple batteries, they really need to all be the same. Not just type but brand, model (AHr., series, voltage, etc.), and ideally the same manufacturing date and time in service (i.e. installed at the same time). This will give you the longest life from your batteries. Also, if you are using lead acid batteries, try not to run them below 50% (half) charge for the longest life.

Chris
    So, when we were @ the rv show we told them we wanted to make a deal on the trailer & we wanted the Morryde steps, slide topper & (2) 6V batteries in series. They came back with a price, but said they could only give us (1) 6V battery but charge us $900 for a second. When we said no deal they said "we had our #'s wrong, it's $600 for the second battery." That's when we walked away. Currently looking at other dealerships out of state to deal with. Trying to figure out if the Napa or Interstate batteries will work in case we can't find a dealer to throw in 2 for the deal.
    Jason & Jamie
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, when we were @ the rv show we told them we wanted to make a deal on the trailer & we wanted the Morryde steps, slide topper & (2) 6V batteries in series. They came back with a price, but said they could only give us (1) 6V battery but charge us $900 for a second. When we said no deal they said "we had our #'s wrong, it's $600 for the second battery." That's when we walked away. Currently looking at other dealerships out of state to deal with. Trying to figure out if the Napa or Interstate batteries will work in case we can't find a dealer to throw in 2 for the deal.
    OK, I am begin to understand (I am a little slow). The dealer was willing to swap out the single 12V battery for a single 6V battery at no charge and them way overcharge you for the second 6V. Glad you called them on it. Please realize that you can not operate the trailer with a single 6V battery (do not even hook it up as it can cause seriouse problems as @JPWilson points out above). That includes the safety break away switch. So you can not legally even tow it off the lot. Adding a second battery is not hard, but take some material and a little time. I do not know what trailer you are looking at (some come with a group 24 and others with a group 27 12V battery and their corresponding sized battery box. I know our Solitude has the larger GRP 27 battery and two 6V GC2 batteries will not fit in the battery box. So you would need a second or a larger battery box to hold the battery in place, some way to vent the battery box (if you use a FLA or aGM type battery), vent both top and bottom (if using a second box) and a length of cable with terminals to jumper the batteries. Again, not a hard job, but you would need the materials.

If the dealer does supply one 6V battery as part of your deal, I would try to match it (same brand, series, size, type etc.). Possibly see if they will sell you a second battery (not installed) through parts for a reasonable price. Two years ago, when we purchased our trailer I called the three different locations for the dealership we purchased the trailer from. They carried Interstate batteries and they would sell me a 6V Interstate GC2 (at the implied discounted price) of $123, $157 or $175 depending on the location. This was all the same dealership.

Good luck

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've used the Costco batteries for a bit now. Had 2 in my old 5th for a couple of years, and this past summer put two into my Imagine. So no feedback about long term life. But, for the use I put them to, they have to-date been just fine. Best ever for lead acid is probably Trojan - put you get to pay for them. Costco is nearby for me, and they are pretty generous in their policies for replacement. But at $99 each, my expectations aren't huge. I couldn't find anything on-line about the Napa's. Verify what rate they use for the RC. Interstate uses the 20amp rate, which inflates the numbers. Many others use the rate at 25 amps. So if Napa is using the 25 amp rate, they are actually a lot better than the Costco's. Don't forget the "core charge" both places will tag you for, also - unless you can find a couple of old batteries to turn in at the same time you buy new. Yes, it is best if the two batteries are as close to exactly the same as can be, including the date of manufacture.

You didn't mention what RV this was for. On my Imagine, converting to 2 6v also meant: Two battery boxes (I looked at double boxes, but it was clear there was no hope of fitting between the existing rails. But it turned out the single boxes were also 1/8" too wide, also...). A board cut to fit between the rails, so I could mount the boxes. Bolts/screws and drills to mount the board, and mount the boxes to the board. Wire and lugs, as the existing was not long enough. A big crimper to get the lugs on the wire. A big cutter to cut the big wire. Not a hard project, but not just "drop and go", either. Labor and the rest may have been part of the costs built into the price of the second battery, especially if they intended to cut/reweld the rails to do a professional job of mounting. A fifth wheel will have its own challenges being retrofit. Again, not hard, but there will be time and labor to do it.

If you do decide to DIY, either plan on just accepting whatever they give you for 12v power and replacing it. Or get a very minimal discount for not including it, and plan on bringing your own 12v to get you home. Highly unlikely you would be able to get 2 6v put in by you in their lot, on the day you pick it up.
    Last edited by sande005; 02-19-2020 at 11:03 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most dealers are looking to put in the least expensive 12v battery ... mine did use a Delco deep cycle ... good enough to get started for us anytime you negotiate add ons they will make money .... we do not boondock so really a good 12v deep cycle is all we need ... plugged in at home and at campsite and when towing I have to say I doubt if our previous 5ver battery ever even completed 1 cycle down and back up .... if you dry camp with no hook ups it changes everything and there are many choices and configurations to pick all the way up to lithium at $900 per battery ... AGM and 6v golf cart run together ... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast