User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold 2118 no power

I have a Norcold 2118 side by side that just stopped working tonight. As I opened the door the light went out the and display panel went out as if it lost power. I checked breaker panel and the 12v fuse and breaker were fine. I removed the outside cover and checked the control board input and it is receiving 12v. I checked other inline fuses behind the panel outside and they were fine. Any recommendations of what else I could check? Thanks

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I unbolted the plastic cover to the board and found two fuses there. There was a 5amp fuse blown and this resolved the problem. Not sure why that fuse would have blown and if that is an indication of another issue.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RB4238ID View Post
    I unbolted the plastic cover to the board and found two fuses there. There was a 5amp fuse blown and this resolved the problem. Not sure why that fuse would have blown and if that is an indication of another issue.
    Glad you were able to find and fix the problem. On the Norcold (Nevercold) 2118 in our Solitude, the 5A ATC fuse on the circuit board is for the 12V DC circuits, including the exterior fans above the power board on the rear of the refrigerator. It takes very little to blow this fuse. I found a couple of places where the exterior fan wires were run over sharp sheet metal edges and had started to chafe. I rerouted and protected them. You might check there.

The power board also has an 8A glass fuse. That is for the 120v AC circuits and our setup also has a 3A inline ATC fuse in the bottom of the compartment (not on the power board). That is for the "low temperature" heater.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chris for the information. I will start checking wires today since we woke up and found the fridge out again. Looks like we blew that fuse again.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chris for the information. I will start checking wires today since we woke up and found the fridge out again. Looks like we blew that fuse again.
    A couple of other thoughts. Have you installed any other loads (additional fans or ???) on the refrigerator 12V circuit? I found on our unit the control board draws about 2A and the 3 stock fans (when on) draw an additional 1.5A. If you add additional fans or other loads (inside or outside the refrigerator) you may overload the 5A fuse.

If you are on shore power, a genset or inverter, be sure to remove 120v AC power (flip the breaker or unplug the refrigerator (plug on the back)) and pull the 15A fuse in the distribution panel before working on the power board. Very easy to shock yourself or short something (yes, I am a real klutze)

This should not effect this issue but (again on our unit) I found the refrigerator and the furnace are on the same 12V circuit from the main distribution panel. When I blew the main 15A fuse for the refrigerator, it also took out the furnace.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't added any additional loads at this point - still stock. Still a new unit - only took possession of it two months ago. I went through everything looking for potential issues but nothing stuck out as a problem. If I replace the fuse it runs for about an hour then will blow again. I went through that cycle a couple of times to see if there is anything else that was powering on that I could correlate with the fuse blowing. At this point I will likely need to go the service route cuz I am kinda at a loss. Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I will update what I find out.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't added any additional loads at this point - still stock. Still a new unit - only took possession of it two months ago. I went through everything looking for potential issues but nothing stuck out as a problem. If I replace the fuse it runs for about an hour then will blow again. I went through that cycle a couple of times to see if there is anything else that was powering on that I could correlate with the fuse blowing. At this point I will likely need to go the service route cuz I am kinda at a loss. Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I will update what I find out.
    It should be under warrantee, so that is good. Just the hassle of dealing with the dealer or repair tech. One last thing, from your first post it sounds like at least once the fuse blew when you opened the door. To me that points to interior light circuit or the perimeter door heaters. Check the contacts (3 or 4?) on the hinge side of each main door. Open the door all the way and you should see a set of spring loaded pins and contacts. They will be open (no contact) when the door is open. Make sure they are straight and nothing is shorting them.

Good luck

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked the pins and seemed to be okay. Not sure if it would matter but pulled the power on the AC and tried to run on propane to see if that made a difference but same results. Tends to run for about 30-60 minutes and then pops the fuse. I scheduled a mobile tech to come out tomorrow. I will update with the findings. Thanks for your suggestions and help - much appreciated.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mobile tech stopped by today - he called Norcold and they suggested that the cooling fans often fail causing the fuse to blow. There are three fans behind the exterior access panels; one low and two larger fans up top. He removed the exterior covers and found that when the fuse was replaced it would be fine until the fans initiated and immediately blew the fuse. Two of the three fans will come on but one of the upper fans will not spin and needs replaced. He unplugged the bad fan so the fridge can run but will have reduced air circulation while he gets the part in. Temperatures have been in mid 80s but cold front just moved in and high is going to be 57 today but back in the 70s in a few days. Hopefully the lower temps will help while the part comes in. I may get a small desk fan to help circulate the air until then. Thanks again for your help Chris!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad they found the problem. I can see a locked fan easily throwing you over the 5A fuse capacity. Hope they get it fixed quickly for you.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast