User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery over the winter months

I’ve read several posts on disconnecting the negative from the battery or simply removing the battery (fully charged) for the months not being used. We like to leave our Solitude plugged in (120v) all winter so we can plug in those rodent repel devices as we have a significant mouse issue. My question is... if I leave the RV plugged in and leave the battery in the RV, will the battery “overcharge”? Our Solitude is 2020 model.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it won’t over charge, but you probably want to check the water a couple of times.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have left mine in the trailer and a just turned on/off? the battery disconnect. I checked on it last week and it still had almost a full charge. Left it there and will check it again in a month.
    Chuck & Robin, LuLu and Georgie
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    2019 2670MK
    5.7 Toyota Tundra TRD with Towing Package
    TRD sway bar & Firestone air bags

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    No, it won’t over charge, but you probably want to check the water a couple of times.
    Sorry to hyjack this thread but I have seen this “check the water” comment on this forum several times. How do you check the water when all batteries these days are sealed? At least they are where I live, I haven’t seen a non sealed battery since the 70’s. Also the battery that came with my Solitude (which is made in the US) is sealed.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Go to the WFCO site, where you can read a bit more about how the converter works. After 44 hours, if there has been no other demand on it (like turning on a light, etc.) it shifts to its lowest possible output to barely keep the battery topped up. If there is any demand on it, it shifts back to the next slightly higher level. Nominally neither should hurt your battery. BUT....it may be worth your time to stop by once (if it is the entire winter) to make sure the levels are ok, and maybe top off with distilled water. These units are built as cheaply as possible, so there is a slightly higher risk of failure, one mode of which may be to keep charging your battery at a much higher level, which could result in premature failure. But the odds of that happening are very, very low....
    If it were me? I'd still disconnect the fully charged battery and turn off the breaker to the converter. Why run things for long periods if you don't have too? The 120v will still work, so you can chase away the beasts....

BTW - the batteries installed are supplied by the dealer. It all depends on what they decide to give you. For many, it is the best deal on flooded batteries they can find. Sealed cost more....
    Last edited by sande005; 02-19-2020 at 09:47 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    Sorry to hyjack this thread but I have seen this “check the water” comment on this forum several times. How do you check the water when all batteries these days are sealed? At least they are where I live, I haven’t seen a non sealed battery since the 70’s. Also the battery that came with my Solitude (which is made in the US) is sealed.
    Ummm no. Flooded Lead Acid batteries (FLA) are the cheapest, and therefor the most common dealer supplied batteries, at least in the USA. They have removable vent caps and often (but not always) have white translucent sides. At least the Interstate (dealer) batteries that I received with our trailer do and so does the Duracell (Walmart) battery I replaced it with. Now AGM and other (Lithium) batteries are a sealed battery.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Virtually all conventional flooded cell batteries on the market have removable caps. Around 20-25 years ago there was a surge in maintenance free batteries, but after about 2006 when Delphi sold their battery business it quickly faded away. Exide still makes some, but they aren’t common. It’s highly unlikely your battery is sealed unless it’s an AGM. JCI has their batteries labeled “Maintenance Free*”, but the bottom of the label shows you “*In normal use”.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Ummm no. Flooded Lead Acid batteries (FLA) are the cheapest, and therefor the most common dealer supplied batteries, at least in the USA. They have removable vent caps and often (but not always) have white translucent sides. At least the Interstate (dealer) batteries that I received with our trailer do and so does the Duracell (Walmart) battery I replaced it with. Now AGM and other (Lithium) batteries are a sealed battery.

Chris
    Ummm, yes. As I stated non sealed batteries haven’t been sold in Canada for decades due to safety concerns. Obviously that’s not the case in the good old US of A. The battery that came with my Solitude was probably installed by my Canadian dealer.
    Last edited by Bungy; 02-20-2020 at 07:11 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummm, yes. As I stated non sealed batteries haven’t been sold in Canada for decades due to safety concerns. Obviously that’s not the case in the good old US of A. The battery that came with my Solitude was probably installed by my Canadian dealer.
    NAPA Canada clearly shows non-sealed batteries for sale in many varieties. For example https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/CNQ2...dInput=battery

You’ll get better results with a conventional battery. Those maintenance free batteries lose water when on a charger long-term even with the calcium alloy.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    NAPA Canada clearly shows non-sealed batteries for sale in many varieties. For example https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/CNQ2...dInput=battery

You’ll get better results with a conventional battery. Those maintenance free batteries lose water when on a charger long-term even with the calcium alloy.
    According to my local dealer that battery is classed as a sealed unit...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast